Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm searching for a new steering knuckle for the left hand side of my A5 3.0tdi 2011.
Existing one is cracked on the pinch bolts.
Does anyone know the audi part number as I seem to be finding different parts number, one seems to have a 12mm thread and other 14mm.
Also what brand would be recommended over Vaico, fortune line or metzger.
I'm going to be replacing wheel bearing aswell seeing as it will all be apart. Are optimal bearings any good.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Hi John, do you mean track rod end? :)
I have used cheap brands before and they last less than 12 months, sometimes they last longer. Personally I would get a premium brand like Lemforeder (not sure of spelling) from Euro Car Parts.
If there are different sizes, then the only sure way is measure yours. :)
Not used Optimal bearings, but you can't go wrong with SKF :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dave, thanks for the reply. The part I'm after is the main aluminium steering knuckle/wheel bearing housing. Mine is cracked where the two upper control arms fix into.
See pic attached

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Ah, ok! I guess that is quite expensive!? As it doesn't have any joints, attaching parts etc, then a cheaper one should be ok, unless it cracks like yours.

What about aluminium welding? You can buy aluminium welding sticks to use with a blow torch and the advert shows them just as strong as original after welding.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What about aluminium welding? You can buy aluminium welding sticks to use with a blow torch and the advert shows them just as strong as original after welding.
I'd be causious of welding Ali, depending on the grade of Ali, welding could anneal the material resulting in a weakened component.

Personally for quite an important part of the car, I'd pay for a new item.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, exactly the conversation I was having with my dad today. He said same thing as you.
So a new knuckle it is.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Are you trying to say those facebook ads with the Ali sticks aren't true!? :D ha ha

But yes, to be 100% sure get a new one!

How did yours crack in the first place!?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well... when I installed my eibach springs I may have over torque'd the pinch bolt. My own fault.
Costly mistake. ?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Ah! I changes the dampers on my old A4 and the pinch bolt was seized in. Managed to get it out with a blow torch and WD40, but it knackered the ball joints, so had to fit new top arms.

But they don't need to be tight as there is no force to pull them out, they just need to be held in rather than torqued up. :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, yeah the reason it cracked was due to the seized bolt. The head of the bolt sheared off and so I thought I'd try and tighten the nut to pull the bolt on through which it did start to do but then the nut and thread sheared off. Tried to knock it out but wouldn't budge. So ended up removing the bolts on the other end of tops arms so I could install springs. Recently purchased a air impact chisel with bolt drifter to try and knock it on through but no luck, that's when I noticed the crack at the pinch part of knuckle. MOT January so I'll have to get a new knuckle on before as it will sure fail with the crack.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts