Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some calling around some tuning companies recently and it looks like we will be able to map the 3.0TDi up to around 290bhp and 560nm torque without any problems. This won't even add any stress to the engine, fully comply with tolerances and shouldn't even effect fuel efficiency by an noticeable margin. The remap will allow access to all that torque over a broader rev range making the car more drivable and decrease the 0-60 time by around .4 of a second. 3.0TDi at around 5.4 secs sounds good to me!

There are several companies that have looked into it for me. Charges will range from between £375 for a generic call out service to £600 for a rolling road custom remap and tune.

If anyone wants any more info let me know and I'll be happy to share what details I have.

:D

· Registered
677 Posts
I did some calling around some tuning companies recently and it looks like we will be able to map the 3.0TDi up to around 290bhp and 560nm torque without any problems. This won't even add any stress to the engine, fully comply with tolerances and shouldn't even effect fuel efficiency by an noticeable margin. The remap will allow access to all that torque over a broader rev range making the car more drivable and decrease the 0-60 time by around .4 of a second. 3.0TDi at around 5.4 secs sounds good to me!

There are several companies that have looked into it for me. Charges will range from between £375 for a generic call out service to £600 for a rolling road custom remap and tune.

If anyone wants any more info let me know and I'll be happy to share what details I have.

WOW. This would lead me to take the 3.0TDI over the 4.2v8. However the US is not getting the TDI so 4.2 for me.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep it would. The 335d M Sport is actually only a 2996cc engine. In fact, the 325d, 330d and 335d all have the same engine, just with a different ECU map. The A5 3.0TDi engine has more potential than the BMW engine and will tune to produce more power, torque and better fuel consumption than the 335d. The standard map on the A5 3.0TDi Quattro is already quicker 0-60 than the 335d anyway, so a custom remap will make it a real surprise at the lights!

Oh I'm in the UK too, so if you want the details of any of those tuning companies then let me know.

· Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I've heard a lot of good things about Celtic Tuning in the UK from the alfa forums. If i'm remapping the A5 then that's who i'll go to.

They usually get around 50-55BHP increase on diesel engines, and they also come straight to your door or work and do it there and then!!

Could be potential for a group buy in the future!

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I've heard good things about Celtic tuning in the past. Although with the A5 being new out I would rather take it to someone with a rolling road and get a custom remap. The call out services simply flash the ECU with a generic map that has been developed for someone else's car. This is fine if it has been tried and tested on plenty of cars, but I'd rather pay a bit more and get a bespoke tune to my requirements.

· Registered
106 Posts
I have had an S3, 330d and more recently a Touareg 3.0 v6tdi superchipped. The Touareg is the nearest engine and the recorded gains boosted power from 222 to 272 bhp and torque from 369 to 480 ibs/ft.

There isn't a chip available as yet, but suggestions from the company would be similar gains.

G

·

Does this then make the Audi warranty void as you have tampered with the Engine that they produced? Friend of mine had his Ferrari warranty void when he chipped a brand new F430.
It also will change your insurance.

· Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Does this then make the Audi warranty void as you have tampered with the Engine that they produced? Friend of mine had his Ferrari warranty void when he chipped a brand new F430.
It also will change your insurance.
Most remaps aren't easilly detectible, unless your going looking for it. But yes, if it's found out that you've remapped it, then your warranty is void.

· Registered
106 Posts
Pretty interesting point. I chipped a 330d BMW which after 3 months from new completely needed a new ecu and was off the road for a couple of weeks. The main dealer could not tell and Superchips re chipped the new ECU FOC. The only way of telling is to get behind the wheel.

G

·
Most remaps aren't easilly detectible, unless your going looking for it. But yes, if it's found out that you've remapped it, then your warranty is void.
and so would your insurance ! With modding of cars and chipping of engines quite common place now, im pretty sure insurance companies will be aware and have people who can find out if the smashed car has been modd'd.

If i owned an insurance company a guy who i insured smashed up his A5, i'd get the engine checked for sure. Might not have to pay out a penny.

I had to inform my insurance company when i added an X-OST sports exhaust to my Ferrari

· Registered
27 Posts
Hi,

I had contacted QST who said it would be a couple more weeks before MTM crack the new ECU, I would be keen to know who can offer a custom remap.

Thanks.

· Registered
22 Posts
just out of interest ,if we chipped our diesels to give almost s5 performance do you think we should also upgrade the brakes to cope with this extra power ,or will the current system be ok?. i was also thinking that the transmission might not be up to the extra hp or torque.

· Registered
99 Posts
and so would your insurance ! With modding of cars and chipping of engines quite common place now, im pretty sure insurance companies will be aware and have people who can find out if the smashed car has been modd'd.

If i owned an insurance company a guy who i insured smashed up his A5, i'd get the engine checked for sure. Might not have to pay out a penny.

I had to inform my insurance company when i added an X-OST sports exhaust to my Ferrari
That's why I don't modify my cars! Most people turn over their cars to the police without thinking about the blackbox/remapped engine computer/etc. Then the insurance company wams them.

Just an example: Some guy in Florida had a Corvette and he hit another car and killed both the people in the car. He said it wasn't his fault and that he was hit by them. He handed over the car to the police, they looked at his blackbox and found out he was going about 140 MPH when the collision occured. Now he's behind bars.

· Registered
27 Posts
If you just have a custom remap to improve bhp and torque then everything should be fine. SpinDrift is spot on with approx. 290bhp, previous Audi models using a 3.0TDI engine (on a different ECU) can be remapped to approx. 285bhp. Be careful of anyone offering larger gains, you should never even think about comprimising safety or reliability in the car.

I the past I had a 1.9TDI A4 remapped from 130bhp to 170bhp and a DTM Edition A4 2.0TFSI remapped from 220bhp to 265bhp. They went like a dream and never had any problems.

· Registered
1 Posts
Yep it would. The 335d M Sport is actually only a 2996cc engine. In fact, the 325d, 330d and 335d all have the same engine, just with a different ECU map.
Sorry to drag up an older thread (just registered as I'm considering 335d / 335i / A5 3.0Tdi and S5 to replace my 2001 RS4) but that isn't quite right. The 335d (like my old 535d) may have the same capacity as the 330d, but it isn't just the mapping that is different - there is the small matter of twin sequential turbocharging too....!

(Edit: having now read round more of the forum I see a couple of folks already know this - phew!)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.