·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone....... anyone at all...... ???

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have recently fitted a http://www.chipexpress.com/ tuning box to my 2.0tdi.

In case you are not aware, there is a difference in tuning boxes, Cheap ones are usually just a resistor in a box (known as analogue tuning boxes) to fool your ECU, and will end up burning out your injector pump, air flow meter, etc.

Digital units are essentially the same as remaps and hence more expensive. Do they work? Yes. I am enjoying a 5mpg improvement in economy, power is up to 200hp and 430Nm torques.

My last car was also chipped with a digital tuning box - 5 years trouble free. Only buy from a reputable company.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
never used one but in my opinion i wouldnt risk an ebay tuning box on such an expensive car. but thats just my view and not anything to do with this actual box mate

·
Registered
36 Posts
Seen these in Autocar just wondering do you have 2010 model A5 2.0 TDI as superchips said it can't be mapped with out taking the ecu apart?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Seen these in Autocar just wondering do you have 2010 model A5 2.0 TDI as superchips said it can't be mapped with out taking the ecu apart?
Mine is '09, and yes I believe all late 09 and 10 cars ecu is locked to prevent tuning. I think this is coming standard across the VAG group, so this throws a wobbler at the tuning industry. This however does not have any impact on plug in chip units, which is important for me.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
never used one but in my opinion i wouldnt risk an ebay tuning box on such an expensive car. but thats just my view and not anything to do with this actual box mate
Cool, thanks for the advice folks. Think I will go with galenthe2nd's advice and check out a digital solution.

Cheers. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
plenty of remap places if you want a safer route

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Kenny - Remap safer... why mate...?
well maybe safer is the wrong word. i believe that remaps offer a more suited map changing, boost, fuel etc where as alot of the boxes change fueling. and the basically con the cars controls.

there will be better than me explaining it and maybe a call to a few tuners might help?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Definitely go with a reputable tuner company such as Revo, Superchips, etc.... It is safer, and worth the extra.

Please do not confuse a remap with the little boxes you can buy for £50 which generally contain little more than a £3 resistor and often do little more than fool the car into thinking the air is cooler than it is. If it was really this easy to get more power from a car then the manufacturers would have already done that themselves.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Remap it is then...

OK, so a remap it is then... Does anyone know a good remap practitioner near Sheffield UK?

REB_A5: If you're online, maybe you know someone close-by?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Definitely go with a reputable tuner company such as Revo, Superchips, etc.... It is safer, and worth the extra.

Please do not confuse a remap with the little boxes you can buy for £50 which generally contain little more than a £3 resistor and often do little more than fool the car into thinking the air is cooler than it is. If it was really this easy to get more power from a car then the manufacturers would have already done that themselves.
Not sure that's the full story Wah, manufactureres have to meet different emission standards across different countries, I think that's one reason for them reducing an engines output. However, I do agree with the general point, if I felt inclined I would go to a tuner, the problem I've encountered was initially to do with the ecu as mine's a 2010 car and then concerns over the gearbox handling an increase in torque.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
EminentL - This is a forum.

If you want to advertise your products then contact the forum owners and pay like other advertisers do.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Hi Folks,

Anyone have any experience of fitting / using one of these tuning kits for a3.0TDI...? Audi A5 3.0 TDI 239 BHP Chiptuning Tuningbox | eBay UK

Interested in opinions of performance claims and any concerns about reliability.

Any advice (pos or neg) gratefully received.

Cheers :cheers:
Dan,
Had a look at the eBay listing and also went and found the company's own website here:
CRD Tuning Audi A5

The slightly suspicious thing for me is their own website has a lower power increase claim - on that basis alone, I'd personally steer clear. The look of the website also tells you which market they're aiming at, and it's not the high end motorist!

I'm a firm believer that in this life, you generally get what you pay for, so if it's ridiculously cheap, then it is so for a reason, and in this instance, that reason is probably not good...

That said, it may well be fine and you run it happily for 100k miles and then report it's great, but I'll let you decide if you want to take it on as a consumer test for A5OC!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
also with the other thread, several are having issues with remaped 3.0TDi's :(

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I can vouch for the likes of TuningBox, on a 2007 A4 3.0 that was factory rated rated at 233 ps and 450 nm. The version I had brought the power to 298 ps and 580 nm. This made LOTS of fun, increased fuel economy too (by about 9%) and never gave me a problem in 12k km. As far as I know, the next owner is still happy after another 10k. We still have a mutual friend, so I think I'd know if there were any issues with it. In fact, I sort of keep up with the car, as I may want to buy it back someday...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Well, less than 100.000 kms is not mileage enough to say a mod, tuning box or remap is reliable...

Tell me how the car runs and works with 100000 kms with those mods and we'll see if they really are reliable.
Anyway, it's been proven during last 20 years that tuning boxes cause engine problems after a medium amount of kms, although as the car is yours you decide whatever you do with...

As well i would like to point that the engine problems kenny has talked about aren't related to remaps or tuningboxes, but to A5 3.0tdi units with a lot of kms (near or over 100.000 kms), modded or stock units (mine is stock and with 113.000 kms).

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
There are some with lower miles having issues too. Just warning so you can look into it. Not saying dont do it :) Just my opinion tho :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts