Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To my diesel driving friends in the UK:

Because of the fuel prices here in the states, and I know you are suffering too, I feel extremely guilty about driving cars that only get 18mpg and 26mpg. What's more I think we are getting worked over by the oil producers. (Oh, I don't want this to be a political statement.) I think the immediate future here in the US is diesel. Hybrids, hydrogen and full electric are far from being usable. We only get three or four autos that are powered as diesel. Not a great opportunity for decisions.

What I would like to ask of you is, how are the 0 to 62 times and the mileage on the A5 3.0 V6 TDI? Does TDI stand for Turbo Diesel Injection? Is the Audi diesel noisy? Is it more expensive than the 3.2? When is it coming to the states? And any other observations you may have.

And, as a Post Script to "jenbutmad" or should I call you "A5 3.0 V6 TDI Quattro Sport - Fully Loaded Ice Silver / Black Leather 'R777 JBM'?" What does R777 stand for and I assume JBM is jenbutmad? But why is Jen mad? ( I drive the same vehicle, but with the 3.2 V6.)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Many questions but briefly:

:) 0-60 mph officially 5.9 seconds, only test i have seen quotes 6.3 but neither is too shabby
:) mileage about 38 mpg depending on journey type
TDI yes i guess that is what it stands for.
:) noisy? not really, possibly a bit quiet compared with petrol, some vibration at idle, but as revs are lower: it never "sings" like a sweet petrol engine.
Price is similar to petrol engined cars.
:) huge range from fuel tank- easy 500 miles
In all honesty I would rather have a sweet v8 or V6 petrol if someone else paid for the fuel, or i did not do a lot of miles, but not by as big a margin as i expected- i drove one of the best v6 engine cars (Alfa Romeo 3.2 v6) last and loved:D it, but i was getting at best 26 mpg and as low as 7 mpg (on a track)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Back at 'cha

Thanks Fraser. You sure did anwer my queries. Also thanks for converting from meters for me. You saved me a lot of math, which is not my strong suit.

You hit the nail on the head. To me nothing "sings" like a straight six and especially the 3 series BMW. My first choice would have been the S5, but I really hate stopping at gas (Opps, sorry, petrol) stations. I have never been a fan of V6 engines. I blew up the Buick I had. I did have an A6 3.2 company car and I couldn't complain about it. So my A5 was a compromise and I'm really growing fond of it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I agree with everything Fraser states above... the only thing I miss is the sound of my old V8 S4 Avant. The real downside is that the S4 only did 280 miles to a tank - the A5 3.0TDi sounds more like a V6 petrol once the engine is warm and easy does 500 miles.

P.S. In the UK we also use "Imperial" measurements (miles, litres etc) ;)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Not sure about the 3.0TDi in the A5, but at idle other Audi diesels tend to sound a little "agricultural" i.e. like tractors.

Given the generally higher torque on diesels aren't they also faster than their petrol counterparts when accelerating from say 50mph to 70mph ... or is it just the case that you don't need to shift down as many gears?

I'm driving a DSG at the moment so I don't really worry about what gear I'm in, the car just sorts it out :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Your right - diesels do sound more rattly upon start up. The A5 TDi is pretty quiet compared to the likes of BMW and Mercedes diesels though. With regard to mid-range power you're also right, turbo diesels have significantly more torque than petrol engines and are particularly quick in the 40 to 100mph range. Because of the increased torque you don't need to change down gears as often to overtake for example. I feel that in the mid range my A5 3.0Tdi is pretty much as quick as my S4 V8 I had previously (if not quicker).

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
quattro i agree my a4 cab was pretty fast it was the same engine size etc i have now but it was a petrol and my god the diesel its just so much more! i love it :D

its like the saying once you have had black your never go back.... it could be the same for diesel lovers...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Black what? :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts