Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

A5 3.0 TDi Mini-Meet at APS - 6 Sep 2008

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Spinner 
#1 ·
There was a bit of a mini meet at APS today when myself, MeteorSilver and timbotdi had various mods applied to our cars. Most of the pictures are of my own car (my son was taking the piccies whilst I chatted :rolleyes:). timbotdi's car spent most of the time up on the ramp and by the time it came down, it was raining - so not much chance for piccies of his car. MeteorSilver was the first one done and I have a couple of pics of his A5 but he had to get away back to York so left fairly early.

Spinner came to collect his S5 after the RS brake mod (see thread here) and IanHp1 came along as well. No sign of Ess5ive - probably still in bed. :D

Anyway, I've sorted through some before and after pictures and present them for your perusal (they are in before & after pairs order). Enjoy.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Would love to have got but my busy time at work atm.

At last you got your upgrades :)

Nice one REB ;) car looks spot on m8 and i bet it sounds :eek: :D

Now when you drive past and see a stock A5 you wont believe how bad it will look,i know from getting my S5 done it just looks so complete compared to stock oh and the sound :D

#4 ·
Guys, good to see you again, and Tim, nice to meet you.

...After seeing these, I think a 3.0 TDi with these mods makes it look awesome... If Audi had made them like this out of the factory, I would have been hard pushed to choose between these and the S5... there's only really the V8 and the seats between them.

We did discover something yesterday however... The milltek slash-cut exhaust appears to be much louder than the rolled tips... ??? go figure??? ...Spinners S5 has the rolled tips and has had the Milltek fitted for 2k miles and mine has slash cut and 5k miles... there's a marked difference inside and out... I may be just the mileage, and another few k on Spinners car should tell!

PS... Spinners brakes look awesome! I have brake envy now when I look at my poxy 14" plain discs with single pot calipers! :eek:

#5 ·
Really good to meet you all on Saturday. I think my car will always feel some kind of afinity to Reb's having undertaken simultaneous surgery!

It was awesome to finely hear the two Miltek S5 setups in person, and will second Ian's thoughts on the difference between the two - his was a lot louder! Spinnner's brakes are stunning tho... There's an 1800 pound hole outlined in my wallet.

Thanks to Ed, Nathan, and all the other guys at APS - it was a pleasure to meet you all, and special note to Ed for taking me out in the 340BHP Edition 30 - nice! ;o)

And onto the most important bit of all - the car!

I had the following fitted - 15mm spacers all-round, KW2 suspension set to the same height as Spinner's but with the damping stiffened up a few notches, and the Miltek exhaust.

The spacers are a must, and make the photos of the car as standard just look wrong!

The suspension, as others have already commented, is very civilised, but far more composed in all instances - acceleration, cornering and braking. It almost seems to cope with bumps and potholes better than the standard setup due to the lack of body roll, and that's with firmer damping than others have had. It looks a lot tidier, but does also remind me that the 18s will have to go at some point! ;o)

The exhaust is just lovely! The sound is not over the top, but floor it through 2nd / 3rd in an enclosed space, and it's dribble worthy... Aesthetically the largers pipes make the standard setup look asthmatic, and fill out the valance perfectly.

And some pics...

Before:

On the ramp with Reb's - Standard vs. Miltek:

Front suspension:

Rear suspension:

Just about done:

Sittin' pretty:

Back home:

Back home #2:

Back home #3:

Exhaust close-up:

T

#7 ·
That looks Awesome Timbotdi

Seeing the transformation on a Phantom Black Really makes me Ponder :cool:

#8 ·
Looking pritty smart boys, timbotdi didnt you clean the underneath of your car before taking photos? ;)

Quick question for you, are those the only tips avalable with the Miltek exhaust for the 3.0tdi?

#10 ·
Quick question for you, are those the only tips avalable with the Miltek exhaust for the 3.0tdi?
Afraid so, yes. I asked about slash-cut and (dare I say it) twin tips a while back and the answer was that Milltek didn't think there would be a big enough market for them.

I am more than happy with my version - and my son can't stop going on about it (compared the noise to a 911 yesterday :rolleyes:).

Just need more excuses to drive it now. :D

#9 · (Edited)
Cheers for the comments guys, and apologies to dbs2 for the encouragement - I know I didn't need much!

If I were to change the wheels I have a particular set of DPE 20" x 10"s in mind, but with parallel parking everyday, and the massive wedge of readies required, I'll at least see out this set of tyres! ;o)

And as far as I know this is the only style Miltek currently offer, although I seem to remember they talked of doing twin tip a la S5, early on in it's development. I did originally fancy twin RS style ovals, but this'll do fine - I kinda feel it gives it an individual feel, differentiating it from the S5s, as it's a TDI only option at the mo. Depends how proud you are of the fuel going in the filler neck!

Cheers,

T

#11 ·
Good to see you guys.

REB, I have to say I've never been a fan of the A5 in silver but with the stance the springs have given yours it has changed my mind, it looks fantastic! To top it off you've got the sound from a great exhaust. Add the remap in the future and despite some of the comments on the forum, imo the modded 3.0 TDI it's going to be a very interesting comparison to the S5!

Tim, didn't realise you'd stiffened up the KW's. I don't think anyone else has done this yet but then again I suppose the S5 was already a tighter setup. Will be interesting to hear your views after some mileage.

Ian being honest having heard the difference between our exhausts its been playing on my mind ever since. Ed always said the rolled tips would be quieter which suited me as I did want a slightly more refined sound, but it's just too much! Looks like I'm going to have to consider a change. Don't think I want the slash cuts so will have to look into Joe's route and see what I can come up with. Anyway it's all your fault for pointing it out to me and I assure you when it comes to explaining to the missus the blame soley lays at your feet :D

Time and weather permitting I'm intending to get the wheels off tomorrow and get some better pics of the brakes. Flying up an empty motorway this evening, the urge to just stamp on the peddle was almost to much to bear... but then I remembered Tim's story of doing exactly this on a previous car with new uprated brakes and ending up with a set of warped discs. Was just enough to hold me back, thanks mate ;) Another 150 miles and they should be bedded in .. I can wait (I hope!).

#14 · (Edited)
Passing the blame...

Good to see you guys.

Ian being honest having heard the difference between our exhausts its been playing on my mind ever since. Ed always said the rolled tips would be quieter which suited me as I did want a slightly more refined sound, but it's just too much! Looks like I'm going to have to consider a change. Don't think I want the slash cuts so will have to look into Joe's route and see what I can come up with. Anyway it's all your fault for pointing it out to me and I assure you when it comes to explaining to the missus the blame soley lays at your feet :D
'

...It's not my fault, I blame REB!!! I didn't know there was a difference until I turned up on Sat and Reb told me mine was much louder! ;)

As for the noise... you could wait to see if it changes in the next few k miles or if you like the current tips, think about taking out the resonator or adding the AWE downpipes... both should have a profound effect on the sound!
:eek:

#12 ·
Got to agree with Spinner on Reb's car - with the stance and exhaust the car has now, it looks spot on.

We'll have to compare the ride damping at the next meet - obviously I have no point for comparison, but having driven my usual 30 mile commute yesterday, I believe the the car handles small bumps and pot holes better than the standard setup. Going over small / ridged speed bumps, even at very slow speed, is a bit harsh, but I can live with that! Overall the handling of the car is fantastic... The confidence to corner is outstanding, and gives the Quattro system the balance to do it's thing.

I'd give your current exhaust a couple more thousand miles before giving up on it, Spinner - it might just need longer to 'bed in'.

Kudos for resisting hammering the brakes... It's well worth it, as by the weekend you'll be out braking almost everything on the road, and with lovely straight discs, and unscorched pads, to boot! ;o)

T

#13 ·
Spinner & timbotdi, thank you for your kind comments. As I've said previously elsewhere, I am well chuffed with the new look and more importantly, so is Mrs REB :).

I am finding that the ride with the H&R springs is a lot harsher than I thought it was when I went out with SDU in his car, but with the reduced mileage I'm doing in the car, I'm hoping I can live with it. If not, how on earth do I explain the KW's price wise to Mrs REB without losing some vital parts of my anatomy? I think I need to either find a good contract for a couple of months or get a proper job :eek:.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.