Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
That looks great! Thanks for posting. A few questions for you...

1. I assume you went with the more aggressive H&R springs? My understanding is that H&R has two different types for the A5/S5 (i.e., a 20-25 mm drop and also a set with 30-35 mm drop).

2. Did you get a chance to drive your car for very long with the stock suspension? If so, how does the ride quality now compare after installing the H&R springs? Is it significantly more harsh?

3. Have you noticed any difference in steering precision after installing the spacers? And just to clarify, you installed a 15 mm spacer on each wheel, right?

4. Can you please take a picture of your car with a complete side profile view (like you did of the wheel in the second pic)? I'd be interested to see how the entire car looks from that angle. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
It looks Da BIZ!!! :cool:

Sorry to be a copycat, but I'm doing the same to mine in Feb. I just has to be done! :D

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Nice one Johnny M and thanks for taking the time to post the pics!

I'm also interested in your responses to TXcarguy's queries. I also wonder if you have any 'before' pics - I was quite surprised that 15mm spacers have made the difference they have done - I'd say the effect is just about optimimum! I'd been considering the need for wider rear spacers on the S5 (perhaps 20 or 25mm) - for some reason, I'd suspected that the 'pinched' look was exaggerated on the standard S5 compared to the A5 3.0 with the 'Y' 19s and hence would require the wider spacers to compensate.

Anybody care to comment? Will 15mm each wheel provide the same visual impacy on the S as it has on Johny's car, or need I go wider?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I'm not sure there is any difference in offset or rear arches between the A and the S... 15mm on the S should look the same. BTW 15mm is plenty to make a BIG difference... although if APS carry stock, you could try different sizes!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
although if APS carry stock, you could try different sizes!
Hmmm, good point Ian. I don't want to over-do it and have fouling problems. I'll ask Ed if we can perhaps experiment for the optimum. Re. the offset comparison, I just wondered if the 19" Y wheel had the same offset as the S5 standard rim - couldn't find any truly representative pics but for some reason had in mind that with the Ys fitted, A5s seemed to have their rear arches better filled than the S5.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Will have to get mine done.......... whats the cost johny? I already have 10mm spacers and the ride quality and any bigger pics to show off the look?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

OK I think you should all hold fire on the H&R springs as they have not settled down and have remained quiet noisy over poor surfaces ie drain covers, pulling out of tight road junctions, exspansion joints in roads ect. I think the problem is that the coil springs are so tightly bound that they rub on each other causing the banging & clanking sound. I will phone Kim Collins Monday and see what he says I think they need some plastic protection over the lower coils to prevent the noise of them rubbing together
I will also speak to APS as they have also fitted a set to an A5 3.0TDI Sport that is a dealers demo car to see if they have had the same problem. The ride quality on very smooth surfaces is very good and the wheel spacers are fine so just some early teething problems to sort out, I will keep you up dated.

John

·
Registered
86 Posts
OMG...:eek: :eek: :eek:

That's lurrrvvvvely.

Visually that is such an improvement, you must be very pleased there!

Will be interested how you get on with the noises etc... as you say, these will need to bed in but looking at the photos, they don't have much compression left in them till the coils stack up on each other. Maybe they need to increase the diameter of the steel, reduce the number of coils and space out the coils a touch more. It might make the ride too hard or crashy.

If these spings are compressing too far and hence become a solid column of steel you may find the car may start to wander a bit when driving straight on undulating roads... Have you noticed this at all?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Ant

Have spoken to APS this morning and they have not had any problems with their A5 that they put the H&R's on, so spoke to QST and I am back there tommorow Tuesday to have it looked at. Kim Collins informed me that they can also supply Eibach progressive springs for the A5 so we will see what the outcome is. As far as steering is concerned it's fine no tramlining or pulling left to right either under acceleration or heavy braking just that very annoying clonking now and again :( will post details up Tuesday pm.

John

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi John,

I've just looked at the photos again and noticed the upper photo of the coils (didn't see this one) and there is loads of space there between coils. Sorry... I must pay more attention to detail...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Holy!

Now that is Tight(Y)

Wonder will they be ok with a set of 20's:D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right just got back from QST the n/s/f suspension strut was the offending item it just needed re seating and all is well, now is quiet as a church mouse :D

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Thanks for the update John - I collect my S5 tomorrow (yippee!) and take it into APS for springs, spacers and Milltek on Feb 6th, so I'm glad to hear that the set-up is essentially sound.

Following your post, I too am going for 15mm spacers all round and 25mm lowering springs - think your car looks just about perfect with that set-up.

Looking forward to hearing more driving impressions when you've got used to it!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Got a price of 199.99 + pp from www.performancecentre.co.uk for eibach springs will lower the car by 30mm....... is this too much and will the ride suffer..anyone??

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Right just got back from QST the n/s/f suspension strut was the offending item it just needed re seating and all is well, now is quiet as a church mouse :D
Phew! I'm glad all is OK.

Ess5 and myself are off to APS for the same mods on the 6th Feb.
:D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Glad all ok for you John!

·
Registered
155 Posts
well whats the ride like now you've had a few days to enjoy...... I am in the advanced stage of copying you but have concerns over the ride quality??

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update

I have had a few people pm me about the ride quality with the H&R set up along with the H&R wheels spacers.

The ride quality on Motorways, Dual carriagways, good A roads is fine you would not no anything has been changed from stock, the main difference is the car corners much flatter at high speeds 80 mph plus and has less roll through roundabouts and more challenging corners, there is also less pitching up of the nose of the car under hard acceleration along with less dive, nose pitching down under heavy braking.

The down side to all this is the rest of the shite road network that we have in the UK :mad: On broken surfaces ie sharp ridges, rumble strips, sunken drain whole covers , pot holes ect then you do get a lot of thump and crashing noise in the car. You are bound to get this with 19 inch wheels and the drop of 25mm over the already 20mm lowered sport suspension option that we have in the UK. This is the price you pay for getting rid of that up on stilts look that you get with the standard car, if there was an option of only a 15mm drop I would like to try that out also so watch this space :D

Wheel spacers have provided as I have said before more steering feel in the straight ahead position along, with a little more loading up of the steering as more steering lock is applied which after nearly a 1k miles I hardly notice now :)

So I am still very happy with the above Mods and would not put it back to standard it looks so much better than the standard car and I get looks and stares all the time mainly from BMW 3 Series Coupe owners who you can see thinking sh*t Ive bought the wrong car ;) It's like all things in life you pays your money and makes your choice hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts