Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just returned from a round trip to Munich c.2000 miles covered, average from the trip computer over the trip was only 33.6 MPG. Apart from the obvious occasional blast on the autobahn i cruised at 80mph all the way, i have only covered 4500 miles in total so far so hoping this will get better in time as i mainly do motorway driving so may take longer for the engine to properly free up?! I am getting no where near the stated figures and was hoping for high 30's on this trip. FYI on the whole journey i only saw 1 other A5 (Belgium).

·
Registered
337 Posts
I am still averaging only 27 mpg, in mixed driving, after 6000 miles :(

Is your car quattro or FWD ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
mpg

Hi ref your mileage I have a 3.2 quatro sport and only get 21mpg this I think is not that bad considering I only got about 24mpg from my bmw330ci sport.

Also my car is showing that an oil servise is due 11450miles and when I called the garaged they told me I would be better getting a full service, I questioned this as the car is stating that the full service is not due for another 8000 or so miles. But my dealer told me if I get the full servise the car will not need serviced for at least 2 years!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
211Mpg :confused: What car you got? my 3.0TDI aveages 48mpg according to the onboard comp:)
My 3.0Tdi Quattro is averaging 42mpg and it if being driven entusiatically.

·
Registered
132 Posts
mileage

I was wondering what MPG was typical. My 3.0TDI seems to be average too at 42.
Wonder if the 48 from Audilad is the result of a remap as 12% would be worth having ?

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I was wondering what MPG was typical. My 3.0TDI seems to be average too at 42.
Wonder if the 48 from Audilad is the result of a remap as 12% would be worth having ?
It would what would the cost be? Not sure where 12% came from it's nearer 14.3%!!:D

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I am getting between 17 and 27mpg on my S5 depending on how enthusiastically I drive it. :D

This isn't too bad, I can cope with this.
That seems good, the manual S5 I borrowed returned 14mpg :mad:on a 50 mile route that a 3.0TdiQ demo returned 37 mpg :Dwhich clinched my choice when fuel was £1.30 odd a litre!

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Yes but the S5 has twice the power;)
Oh NO it doesn't!

Both do o-62 in between 5-6 seconds, S5 is quicker. Both have same limited max speed. The 3.0Tdi has significantly more Torque (500Nm).

I would have preferred the S5 but not the fuel bills and in the real world I don't think the 3.0Tdi could ever be seen as only having 'half the power' because it's just not true.

Cheers RG (42MPG yippee...):D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh NO it doesn't!

Both do o-62 in between 5-6 seconds, S5 is quicker. Both have same limited max speed. The 3.0Tdi has significantly more Torque (500Nm).

I would have preferred the S5 but not the fuel bills and in the real world I don't think the 3.0Tdi could ever be seen as only having 'half the power' because it's just not true.

Cheers RG (42MPG yippee...):D
Oh dont get me wrong mate.When I say "twice the power" I dont
mean that litteraly!I know pretty good what extra torque can do trust me
(I occassionally drive my company Q7 4.2D with 77NM torque!)
All I mean is that the S5 is somewhat..sexier with its huge horsepower
and looks.One thing I dont find any "sexual" at all is the consumption.
I agree totally on that

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Don't think there is much different in the looks department for 90% of the population. We can tell but most folks probably wouldn't notice the difference in 'sexyness' (your description) between an S5 and a 180PS S-Line.IMHO

·
Registered
97 Posts
but after all, the car sucks so much gas period. LOL I was surprised in how much it sucks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have just returned from a round trip to Munich c.2000 miles covered, average from the trip computer over the trip was only 33.6 MPG. Apart from the obvious occasional blast on the autobahn i cruised at 80mph all the way, i have only covered 4500 miles in total so far so hoping this will get better in time as i mainly do motorway driving so may take longer for the engine to properly free up?! I am getting no where near the stated figures and was hoping for high 30's on this trip. FYI on the whole journey i only saw 1 other A5 (Belgium).
I have now covered 4,500 miles in my 211 Quattro and rarely see the manufacture's fuel figures (other than when running in), I normally get no more than 34 mpg on a run (unless I try very hard and that’s boring!) and 28 - 30 round town. PLUS, it had burned 1 litre of oil at 4,300 miles and at £18.95 per litre I don’t want to be doing that every 4,000 miles, particularly as my mileage will increase from February to around 3,000 a month!

My trip comp average over the 4,500 miles reads 30.3 and I do not think this will improve.

Cheers
Addy

·
Registered
13 Posts
My mileage is now 4400.

My average since new is 32.8mpg.

I have mentioned this before on this site that me previous car was an A4 2.0TFSI S-Line Special Edition, with the 220bhp engine. Without trying too hard, I could easily get over 40mpg on my commute. Even if I try really hard I have not managed to get over 38mpg on the same route (and as Addy says, that is boring!).

So, my A5 uses more fuel than the A4, yet it produces less CO2. How does that work then? (unless it's chucking out unburnt fuel from the exhaust instead)

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
We had same A4 as you but Quattro at the same time we had an A3 TFsi Quattro. The A4 was remarkable in that it achieved +5 more MPG than the A3 despite being larger! Dealer reckoned it could be a number of factors... gearing, tyres, resistance etc, .

32.8 doesn't sound too bad to me, about what we got out of an 08 TT with similar motor.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.