Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a 2017 A5. I'm trying to run a cable from the spare wheel area to the underside of the car. Forums online have said that there should be a rubber grommet but I can't manage to find anything? Is there anything specific I should be looking out for and do I need to drill through it or can I just push a wire through?

Thank you!

·
Administrator
407 Posts
There should be a grommet at the right hand side of the boot in the corner. This takes the wires to the parking sensors. If don't have these fitted then it may be blanked off.

The external side is wrapped in tape so you may want to consider taking the bumper off to help you secure the wires (water tight) and route the cable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
There should be any number of grommets in the spare wheel well. If you can find anything suitable it's easy enough to drill through - just make sure that there's nothing on the other side to where you plan on drilling. Use a step drill (sometimes called a christmas-tree drill) if you can as an ordinary twist drill will snatch going through sheet metal, especially larger diameters. Deburr the edge of the hole and apply some zinc-rich paint to it. ALWAYS fit a proper grommet to the hole to prevent chaffage. A bit of polyurethane (NOT silicone) sealant round the hole when you're done will keep things watertight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts