Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have noticed that my door bottom speakers aren't working and my subwoofer too. Not too sure if it is the amp issue or actual speakers/subwoofer issue

I will try to scan my car for fault codes tomorrow and will report back, however, does anyone have any other suggestions/clues on how to check what can be causing the issue?

My car: Audi A5 3.0TDI Coupe 2008 with B&O Sound System, Audi 6-cd Changer 2G MMI High system and has an original B&O amp and an external non B&O amp and subwoofer in the boot.

Also should be noted that my AMP has taken water damage before and any sound didn't work for a day until everything dried out. (That was a year ago). If I don't find anything with scanning the car for the fault codes, should I take the door panels out first and test the speakers? Check the fuses? Or remove the amp and check the board?

Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
The fact you had water damage to your amp a year ago does seem to point towards a component failure in the amp.

I'd say yes do a fault code check 1st and see if anything pops up, but I'd say the amp is the most likely suspect.

Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure about the b&o system but my system (2010 a5, regular sound, 3g+ high) the door speakers went out because the braided wires going from the speaker housing connector to the cone are melted into some little arms on the housing to prevent rubbing, but it makes a weak point in the wire.
If this happened to you, you'll have codes 00417 and/or 00418. In stock configuration this is not an amp problem, because the tweeters and door speakers are on the same channel. If you have those codes, first thing I would do is an impedance check, either at the door plug (t27a, find a pinout in manual or online, or pm me), or by popping the door card (take off the silver trim and the bit over the oh sh*t handle, then 5 t27 bolts, then pry away and disconnect the bowden and electrical connectors). Then remove the speaker housing, do an impedance check, cut out the offending plastic hanger, and reconnect using a butt connector with some twine to keep it away from the cone.

Unsure if the sub is susceptible to the same issues. check service manual to see how easy it is to get at the sub for an impedance check, and see what codes you have

1 - 3 of 3 Posts