Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Have had a 2.7 multi since December and done 4K already. I know the car is supposed to do 45MPG on the combined cycle. My car isn't!!!

I'm lucky to get 35! At first I presumed its due to the vehicle being new, it needed breaking in etc...but 4000 miles on and no change. I've never had it over 45mpg even on a motorway doing 55mph. diesel is now 1.11 per litre near me and its getting frustrating!

Theres no warnings on the dash and \i dont drive it hard at all. I've ruled out a problem on the dash as I've calculated a weeks worth of diesel and it worked out I was getting 29mpg!!! Thats a massive difference and more than reasonable. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems before i see the dealer?

Thanks

·
Registered
157 Posts
That sounds too low, as you realise; i get better with mine, and easily managed 40mpg on motorway at *average* 70mph; at 55 mph i would get 50mpg, i estimate. Perhaps you have a blocked particle filter? are you tryng to use too low revs? I found that you are better off keeping at least 1,500 rpm, so if you go slowly in 5th or 6th gear you may find you do better in 4th to keep in the power band. Have you checked that the tryes are at full inflation?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
i have got a photo on my camera which i took while doing 70mph i was getting just over 50mpg.... ill down load it tomorrow

·
Registered
106 Posts
Join the club!!

I posted last week that I was not getting anything like 42 combined but it was my first weekend with the car (6 week old ex-demo) and was still in wait and see mode.

Today, however, I did 3 miles to get to the M1 and drove 10 miles through roadworks at 45-50 mph. Got MPG up to 43 at one point and rough calcs so far make the computer look like a pretty good reading.

Something's not right when you see what the 3.0 TDI gang seem to be getting from their muscle machines.

I've not seen many posts from other 2.7 drivers but their must be some out there - what's going on?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Sammyg,

Sadly nobody will ever get close to the official figures for any car - they're rubbish and not representative of real-world driving. It's not the fault of the manufacturers as it's true for all of them - the way it's worked out is on a rolling road at set rpm and is laid down by the EU wombles in Brussels. Again, you sadly can't really blame them either as they have to come up with something that is consistent and repeatable. Unfortunately what is (at the moment) the standard test isn't representative of how you or I drive our cars.

That said, yours sounds a bit low as I'm getting an average of 38.1mpg from my 3.0 TDi over 4400 miles so far. Best I've had is just under 45mpg but worst is around 31. Even caning it down country lanes for an hour gives over 30mpg, although I don't do any slow crawling journeys in traffic (a blessed relief of living in the Southwest of the UK rather than the Southeast!)

Not sure if you'd get any joy trying to argue the toss with your dealer or Audi UK - the losses involved in having the auto gearbox rather than manual are going to hurt your economy, and no 2 cars are going to be exactly the same. Not much help I know, but I think you've basically got to accept that your car does an average of low to mid 30s and that's just the way it is.

Could be worse - you could have bought a 3.2 petrol!:D

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Welcome Sammy,

How much travelling do you do, exactly? Do you travel mostly in town or motorway?

Those figures to sound a bit low, but it depends entirely on how you drive the car. I've seen me getting as high as 58.8mpg between edinburgh and glasgow one day, and that was doing 50mph the whole way in my 3.0TDI

However, on a normal motorway drive, i'll get 42mpg travelling at 70mph.

In town it can go incredibly low. Often around 18mpg. Worst i've seen being 14mpg.

What I think you should do is reset your meter when you first join a motorway for a reasonably long trip, keep a constant speed, and let us know what figures you get. Ultimately your driving style will affect your figures, and this counts on whether your the type of guy who has his foot flat to the floor through all the gears, or you're someone who changes up early in order to avoid using the turbo.

Rab.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Does anyone know what the generally accepted difference is between an auto box and a manual (I know you can't compare this on the A5 yet) or why an auto box is worse?

Whilst it seems to be accepted you would have though that the auto always choosing the right gear/ratio would be more enonomical. Apologies if I'm being simple here and the whole world (bar me!) knows the answer to this one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is an interesting one as, although the Multitronic is an auto, it's a CVT which is generally accepted as being more efficient than a traditional slush-box. Also the 2.7 TDi is front-wheel drive only and I would have expected the 'loss' within the 3.0 TDi quattro drivetrain to give a similar overall result albeit that the 3.0 is a manual. I guess the CVT just isn't that efficient. Having said that I'd be happy with anything over 35 mpg for a large (by UK standards) diesel with an auto.

I know it's wikipedia but... "Multitronic offers performance and economy similar, and in some cases better than, the equivalent six-speed manual gearboxes" ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multitronic

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
as promised here it is not a great pic but hey...

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Jen pic not bad!

I've only done 125miles but currently avg mpg is saying 20.2!!! This is worse than previous and not even really put my foot down will wait and see what happens within next few weeks.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
it will be interesting as i do have a heavy right foot but for reasons i choose to get a pic doing the speed limit!

would be interesting to see what everyone else gets...

Get your cameras out and get snapping, safely may i add.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Jen,don't think that is your true average,should the trip computer not have a "1" or "2" in front of it? with that setting,you could lift off the throttle and get 199.9mpg!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
oh dear god guys now you tell me that..... mmmm thats all i could see....

·
Registered
292 Posts
oh dear god guys now you tell me that..... mmmm thats all i could see....

Jen, that's your 'instant' fuel consumption, not your average. To get the average, press the buton on the end of the wiper stalk, either up or down, and it will cycle through various numbers. The average fuel consumption has a circle with a slash through it before the figure.

BTW if it wasn't for the fact your radio was tuned to Northsound, I wouldn't have believed you were in Aberdeen. 9 degrees - that's a summer heatwave!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thnks for all the replies guys.

I have tried everything...resetting it before a motorway trip and also in town but no joy.

I have just graduated from uni, so I'm the king of 'driving in the red'! But even driving at 55 and hardly breaking, anticipating the lights etc... I still get shocking MPG! I've even tried the manual change but no good.

On the motorway Im luckt to get 40mpg at 55 constant and at 70 around 30. I reset both comps at the start of the week and it ended up at 30.3mpg but when I calculated it through maths, it was more like 29mpg??

I would accept 35-40mpg as I can appreciate the official figures are not always accurate, but less than 30...thats taking the P&%$!!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
i know i was driving in a bikini but got the furry boots on today its snowing :(

ok right i will take another pic tomorrow... ill get the car onto the dual carriageway

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Rab.

I drive all over, motorway and town. I had my old A4 cab 1.8T up to 47mpg on the Mway doing around 55mph- the same drive, same speed, new A5 37mpg! It would not be surprising for the A5 to do 60mpg at that speed.

Dont wanna go into the dealer and look like a moaning tight fisted kid so need some advice before going in!

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi guys,

Have had a 2.7 multi since December and done 4K already. I know the car is supposed to do 45MPG on the combined cycle. My car isn't!!!

I'm lucky to get 35! At first I presumed its due to the vehicle being new, it needed breaking in etc...but 4000 miles on and no change. I've never had it over 45mpg even on a motorway doing 55mph. diesel is now 1.11 per litre near me and its getting frustrating!

Theres no warnings on the dash and I dont drive it hard at all. I've ruled out a problem on the dash as I've calculated a weeks worth of diesel and it worked out I was getting 29mpg!!! Thats a massive difference and more than reasonable. Thanks
Do you find you're on the turbo quite a lot? That's usually the defining factor for economy on a diesel. My 2.7 TDi gets delivered next Friday, so I'll keep an eye on what my consumption is and let you know. It's gotta be better than the 31mpg I get on my Z4 :) !

If it's of any help; on the demo car I had (2.7TDi Sport with 18" wheels and 3,000 miles on the clock), I managed 42.1mpg on a 70 mile run between Warrington and Leeds in stop-start rush hour motorway traffic (J8 M62 to J46 M1).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts