Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new here, have a bit problem in choosing b/n tdi 2,7 and 1,8 tfsi. i drive ca.200 km per day.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Well at 200km a day and assuming you do that for 5 days a week I make that out to be approx 30,000 miles per year.

Looking at the combined mpg of both cars the 2.7TDI gives 42.2mpg and the 1.8TFSI gives you 39.8mpg on the combined cycle. Even extra urban is very close between the two cars. So if your looking for economy between the cars no point in getting the 2.7 TDI as its £4000 more expensive in the UK. I'm assuming it will have the same percentage difference in price in other countries too. So basically what i'm saying is that there isn't a big enough difference in economy between the two cars to make it worth your while for the TDI.

The only reason to get the TDI is if you want that bit more power and torque, and when a re-map is available for the 2.7TDI it will have close to having the same power as the 3.0TDI for far less money.

The alternative is if your budget allows you to get the 2.7 TDI you could get a 1.8TFSI with a whole load of options, i'd probably do this and re-map this car for that little bit more power.

Hope that helps.....

·
Registered
714 Posts
I agree with SAJ's reasoning (on paper only ... until tomorrow I've never sat in any A5 with the engine running).

But...

The 2.7 only comes with a multitronic gearbox which makes for an easier drive. At 200km per day that could be a big factor.

If you're comparing the 1.8T multitronic against the 2.7Tdi then things change. The cost of the 1.8T makes a big jump closer to the 2.7Tdi and the economy goes down. Factor in that the 1.8T doesn't come with the Xenons/DRLs in some markets and the 2.7 becomes the more attractive option.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm very impressed with my 2.7 TDi - now that I've ran it for just over a month (and around 2,000 miles) I can honestly say it's the best of both (or should that be all?) worlds....

1. a smooth and lazy automatic when in 'D' that takes all the stress out of driving
  2. able to overtake with a 'pull' on the steering-wheel paddles as this drops you into 'manual' but switches back to 'D' when you calm down
  3. a very competent (for a front-wheel-drive diesel) 'sports' car when the gearbox is in 'sport' mode with 8-speeds to play with - this setting is excellent for pulling away from junctions or fast, winding, roads

...I was considering the 1.8 TFSi but I'm now so glad I chose the 2.7 TDi Multitronic Sport.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...The residuals on the TDi should be higher, either giving you a better finance deal or more chance to get 'equity' against the guaranteed end value of a finance deal.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Go for the 1.8. Thats the best A5 on offer. The 1.8 is better than the 2.7 & the 3.0 & the 3.2. In fact it's also better than the S5. And when/if there is an RS5 it will be better than that as well.

If a 2.0T quattro becomes available then that might become the best A5, but it depends if I've got one or not. :D :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thnx guys for the input ,base price diff, b/n the two is around 4-5000 pound.i have a4 avant 2.0 tdi (170 bhp) ,very much satisfied with the fuel economy.
with loded option will 2,7 cost 2000 pound. i think i ll go for the 2,7 .
just talked to my dealer and told me if i order now i may get the car after 6-http://www.a5oc.com/forums/images/smilies/mad.gif7 month ,that is a looong time :mad: and he added if i order the audi tt 2.0 tdi will get it in july or august . i think i ll go for a5 2,7 tdi and tt tdi for the wife.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Man, with typing like that I hate to think what you'll be like behind the wheel of an A5. :eek:

·
Registered
714 Posts
I can almost change gear now. I've just found a third pedal in my car - does anyone else have one of these and if so, what's it for?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all , recently I bought a 2012 A5 1.8 tfsi. Anyone can help with a link from where I can buy a oil deepstick? I don't trust the electronic reading. And someone had problems with oil licks or timing chain on this engine? Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi all , recently I bought a 2012 A5 1.8 tfsi. Anyone can help with a link from where I can buy a oil deepstick? I don't trust the electronic reading. And someone had problems with oil licks or timing chain on this engine? Thanks
Best not to lick oil, always causes problems 😆😆

1 - 14 of 14 Posts