Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a few days ago this car from a dealership and on the test drive I couldn't drive faster than 60mph,everything was ok but when I went home on highway, after 70mph I feel a vibration and a sound that least for about 3 seconds and then 3 seconds disappear.
I went to a friend service and first he said that is the drive shaft because it was moving a bit.
But the movement is from inside the gearbox and they said that the differential is gone.
In the picture you can see the drive shaft and is going inside to that rusty box with bolts,that box is moving.
And it's on the right side of the car,by the way the car is from uk.
I didnt find anything about this on internet so I want your opinion because I'm starting to have problems with this dealership about refund,I have gearbox warranty but I dont think they will put a new one.
In few days I have appointment at audi service anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Difficult to tell from the description and pictures what actually is wrong.

The rusty bit is the drive shaft flange that is bolted to the flange on the gearbox. There shouldn't be 'play' in this as this where the big main bearings are and does indeed attach directly to the diff. The joint in the rubber boot is the CV joint and this can have play in it and are generally spring loaded to push laterally towards the wheel. The other common issue is wheel bearings can give issues from around 60k miles and sound like a whoa whoa noise on the motorway or usually above 50mph. When worn further, they will give B52 bomber huming noise. :)

The Multi-tronic does have a service schedule and is also sensitive to oil level. If the oil is low or even too high it can give 'odd' gear changes, jerkiness and may be noises.

How many miles has the car done and when or has the gearbox been serviced?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Ps if it does have a fault and this was noticed on the drive home, this will come under the Sale of goods act and NOT the crappy warranty the 2nd hand dealer gives for 3 months! :)

Make a note of all communication between you and the dealer as this will be proof of the fault being on the car at point of sale and not developed over a period after sale date.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply, the car has 117000 miles and I dont feel anything when changing gears or when put in R and also the oil its hasn't been changed in the gearbox or at least is not in the service history.

1. They said they will fix it,I just have to go to a service and thell them what part to buy,first they wanted me to go to their service but anyway it was to far away for me to drive the car like this,when I ask for refund they told me I have to pay 450£ for that which I dont think is legal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ps if it does have a fault and this was noticed on the drive home, this will come under the Sale of goods act and NOT the crappy warranty the 2nd hand dealer gives for 3 months! :)

Make a note of all communication between you and the dealer as this will be proof of the fault being on the car at point of sale and not developed over a period after sale date.
If is the gearbox they should put a new one?
I paid for the car 8000£ and a new gearbox is about 7500£ :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Oi Tzaks where are you and where did you buy the car from, a dealer? TAKE THE CAR BACK NOW and demand your money back mate. As Dave the Man says this is a clear case of Sale of Goods, in other words the car is not suitable for the purpose so you are 100 percent to refuse the goods and get back every penny you paid for the car. Look up Sale of Goods Act on Wikipedia and make yourself familiar with it cos these guys do not have a legal leg to stand on, really.Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Yeah £450 is about the going rate for a front wheel drive gearbox to be repaired/reconditioned. Might be a bit more as it's Multi-tronic, but basically they'll give you your money back but get you to pay for the gearbox repair in asking for the £450 or they just want something for loosing the sale!

Because of the age of the car, it can have a repaired gearbox rather than new.

As said, as the fault was on the car at point of sale and wasn't mentioned in the sale, then you can get 100% of the sale price back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah £450 is about the going rate for a front wheel drive gearbox to be repaired/reconditioned. Might be a bit more as it's Multi-tronic, but basically they'll give you your money back but get you to pay for the gearbox repair in asking for the £450 or they just want something for loosing the sale!

Because of the age of the car, it can have a repaired gearbox rather than new.

As said, as the fault was on the car at point of sale and wasn't mentioned in the sale, then you can get 100% of the sale price back.
I just drop it to audi service and Friday they will look at it,do you think it will be ok if they will repair the gearbox?
The car looks amazing and I'm thinking to keep it,at this money I didnt found any s line.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Yeah it's in nice condition!! Hope they find a solution and hope it's not a major issue like gearbox rebuild. Not heard of any issues on the Diffs of the Multi-tronics, especially later versions, the issues appear to be related to oil service or level.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you very much,I will let you know with the problem tomorrow probably.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts