Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend suggested I check out the forums to see if anyone has a similar experience to mine.. My A5 is about 10 weeks old and recently as I was driving on a side street my engine cut out completely and the steering wheel locked - that is that the power steering cut - completely immovable. Almost immediately I had a flashing red or orange light on my panel (behind the steering wheel) telling me I had to fill oil immediately (or words to that effect - I'm afraid I was a bit panicked so didn't take it in properly).

I managed to stop without crashing and was able to restart the car and pull over. I had checked the computers oil the previous week and it had read full - I hadn't done much driving since maybe about 80 miles. The guy from Audi roadside assistance came out (RAC) and said that I needed oil and filled it with half a litre - which then took the oil guage back to full (which doesn't seem right to me either that 1/2 litre could send it from empty to full). After much discussion I said I wasn't happy to drive it all until the fault which made it cut out and lock had been rectified - if I had been on the motorway I might not be here to tell the tale. I spoke to Audi and they had it towed to the dealership the next day.

The Service Manager spent a long time convincing me a few days later that there was nothing wrong with it. Couldn't find a fault with the oil or with the steering/engine. I've taken it back but of course this is at the back of my mind. Has anyone experienced anything similar to assist in me going back to Audi? Have to say I was loving the car up until this.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Wow, really feel for you mate, not sure what I would do in your situation. Sorry I cant really help either as I've not experienced anything like this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some US members had a similar problem. What model and gearbox do you have?

Go here for the thread http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/a5-stalled-while-4268/index.html

They seemed to be having issues with the Tiptronic gearbox. I hope this isn't a recall fault as an awful lot of people will start to lose confidence in their car if it could potentially stall at any moment.
It's the 1.8TFSI. Sounds similar but I would more or less swear that the steering didn't just 'go heavy' it completely locked, like no movement whatsoever. It was all over in about 20 secs once I'd restarted and parked. Can't link it with any kind of refuelling though - think I had about half a tank from full. I'll just keep on the look out I guess for something similar that will maybe force Audi to re-check - and hopefully find - the problem.

·
Registered
714 Posts
1.8T here too with almost 9,000 miles (5 months) on the clock and never had anything like this. Very recently I've noticed that mine isn't starting when I press the key in but I think this is me rather than the car ... I suspect I'm lazy on the clutch pedal. My only other quibble is a recent loss of confidence in the sub with the B&O otherwise everythings fantastic with my A5 (cue catastrophic failure on the M1...)

Are you in a manual or an auto?

·
Registered
636 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts