Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is a real surprise to me. Here in sweden there is a reputable car magazine that test out new cars and in this particular test they tested the A5 1.8t. Well, guess what...After all the test and putting it through all the advance test, it came to surface that the 1.8t has 185 HP instead of the specified 170 HP that Audi states on their site. So my question is why did they hold back on the true figures?

I tested my car against another car which had 175HP and my over powered this car without any problems. I also feel that my car had plenty more to offer everytime I pushed down on the pedal.

·
Registered
388 Posts
1.8 bhp

hi tiking,that is a real surprise!! what do you think the bhp would be after a re-map?

1.8tfsi sport

brill blk
drl's,with mods! xenonmatch fogs
star silver leather,
bluetooth,
auto folding & dimming mirrors
interior light pack
two shiny chrome tailpipes!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, before I read about the 15HP difference, a remap would have given you 209HP(39 extra HP). But now with this new info, 185 + 39, after remap, would give the car, a total of 224 HP. Now that is alot. Now, I understand you loose some extra HP in the axels but 185 is still a load of difference compared to 170HP.

·
Registered
388 Posts
224!!!,now that would be interesting.:)

1.8tfsi sport

brill blk
drl's,with mods! xenonmatch fogs
star silver leather,
bluetooth,
auto folding & dimming mirrors
interior light pack
two shiny chrome tailpipes!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 39 is alot even at 170HP original; but now knowing it is 185HP is even better. :) BSR is best.

·
Registered
636 Posts
What I found disappointing about the 209bhp remap for the 1.8 was that it only increased the 0-60 time by 0.4 of a second. The torque curve was much improved though.

There is a post somewhere on the forum with a pdf of the details.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I found disappointing about the 209bhp remap for the 1.8 was that it only increased the 0-60 time by 0.4 of a second. The torque curve was much improved though.

There is a post somewhere on the forum with a pdf of the details.
Well, I guess there is something to be grateful for, even though there are downsides.:cool:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, before I read about the 15HP difference, a remap would have given you 209HP(39 extra HP). But now with this new info, 185 + 39, after remap, would give the car, a total of 224 HP.
Don't want to spoil it, but I'm quite sure that if tuners like ABT could get 224 instead of 210 BHP out of this engine with a simple remap...they would have announced it by now. The fact that Audi delivers the engines with more than 170 stock doesn't mean the upper limit shifts as well.

My guess is getting a remap doesn't mean you get ANOTHER 39 or 40 BHP, but just the 210 - 185 = 25 extra.
(Which makes the remap even more expensive per HP :eek:)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't want to spoil it, but I'm quite sure that if tuners like ABT could get 224 instead of 210 BHP out of this engine with a simple remap...they would have announced it by now. The fact that Audi delivers the engines with more than 170 stock doesn't mean the upper limit shifts as well.

My guess is getting a remap doesn't mean you get ANOTHER 39 or 40 BHP, but just the 210 - 185 = 25 extra.
(Which makes the remap even more expensive per HP :eek:)
Well, spoil it or not, I'm just reporting on what I read and quotes I got from reputable tuners. But at least 210 HP is not soooo bad.. ;) I'll take it over a 170 any day. but you can get 216HP with a remap and a change of your exhaust system from the kAT.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The difference between 170 and 185 may be because of different measurement method (dynamic, static, ... ).
European car producers use static power measurement method, many tuners/services use dynamic method, that is why 1,8tfsi may have more power on the wheels, than expected.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Don't trust to the figures that all these companies present. Mine says 206KW and 600NM, but I am 99% sure that it is not that much.

If remap, then only with a brand that is actually good. I would trust MTM. I am going to get their product soon, and I am pretty sure that they won't present something that they can't offer.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have made measurement of one Powerbox, but there was "only" 190kW, 550 N.m.
I was not able to feel a difference at all. This was one of the reasons I have real chiptuning now.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, the figures do come the top tuning guys in sweden who have branches over the world, BSR & Dalbäck Racing...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, this is a real surprise to me. Here in sweden there is a reputable car magazine that test out new cars and in this particular test they tested the A5 1.8t. Well, guess what...After all the test and putting it through all the advance test, it came to surface that the 1.8t has 185 HP instead of the specified 170 HP that Audi states on their site. So my question is why did they hold back on the true figures?

I tested my car against another car which had 175HP and my over powered this car without any problems. I also feel that my car had plenty more to offer everytime I pushed down on the pedal.
I think, I do know why there is a difference in HP presentation between the manufacturer and dyno tests...I've heard that in Germany the tax policy is to tax the car's horsepower, so the germans, in order to make their cars more attracive to customers, they present them with less horsepower than they are manufactured...That's, I think, the most logical explanation...and finally...the dyno tests are true!!! I've also heard that our 1.8TFSI engine has 185 HP and not 170...
Good for us, my friends!!!!!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Spanish dyno tests of the A5 1.8T 170CV have had as result the engine having around 185CV as well, an not only in the A5, even in the A4, the TT and a lot of other Vag cars with that engine...

With a remap it's supposed to get 220CV, and here in Spain there's one A5 1.8T yet with an ABT remap with that power...

Good engine that 1.8T...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Spanish dyno tests of the A5 1.8T 170CV have had as result the engine having around 185CV as well, an not only in the A5, even in the A4, the TT and a lot of other Vag cars with that engine...

With a remap it's supposed to get 220CV, and here in Spain there's one A5 1.8T yet with an ABT remap with that power...

Good engine that 1.8T...
It certainly is....:)

·
Registered
871 Posts
My A5 1.8t feels much quicker and more responsive than my previous A4 Cab 1.8t (166BHP). Perhaps the fact it has 185 bhp is the reason.
Did the swedish tuners work out what the actual Torque figure was. the manuak says 184 ft lb at 1500 rpm:)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My A5 1.8t feels much quicker and more responsive than my previous A4 Cab 1.8t (166BHP). Perhaps the fact it has 185 bhp is the reason.
Did the swedish tuners work out what the actual Torque figure was. the manuak says 184 ft lb at 1500 rpm:)

I will see if I can still find the article.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts