Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at used Audi A5 1.8 tfsi petrol sportback models from 2014-2016 for my next car.

I'm worried because I've come across a lot of complaints about reliability for this combination on the internet.

Is this car really a money pit? Even looking on Autotrader there are very few high mileage examples.

·
Registered
9,173 Posts
Most high mileage audis are diesels and the 5 is no exception. Obviously the hatchback is also the most practical and family friendly but its also a heavy car with a relatively small engine.
Having said that, my beloved had a 2012 and 2016 1.8 cabriolet which is even heavier. First sold at 70k miles and second at 50k miles.
For the size of engine there is a reasonable amount of torque, 320km, from fairly low revs so despite my second sentence it never felt underpowered.
Not sure what the complaints about that combination are, nor what miles you are looking to buy at, or what you will be using it for. All I can tell you is both cars were reliable with no unusual or catastrophic issues. Good luck with your search, consider either buying with a good warranty or getting one independently just in case you find a lemon. I would advise that on any used car out of manufacturers warranty for the first year at the very least.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most high mileage audis are diesels and the 5 is no exception. Obviously the hatchback is also the most practical and family friendly but its also a heavy car with a relatively small engine.
Having said that, my beloved had a 2012 and 2016 1.8 cabriolet which is even heavier. First sold at 70k miles and second at 50k miles.
For the size of engine there is a reasonable amount of torque, 320km, from fairly low revs so despite my second sentence it never felt underpowered.
Not sure what the complaints about that combination are, nor what miles you are looking to buy at, or what you will be using it for. All I can tell you is both cars were reliable with no unusual or catastrophic issues. Good luck with your search, consider either buying with a good warranty or getting one independently just in case you find a lemon. I would advise that on any used car out of manufacturers warranty for the first year at the very least.
Sound advice regarding warranty. I'm looking at examples with between 30k-60k mileage.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
I think that you will find that the 1.8 petrol engine died out to be replaced by the 2.0 in the years you mention, both these engines suffered the oil consumption problem that is well documented on here. If you want to do alot of miles the TDI is perhaps a stronger bet, as Racks mentions, and the V6 3.0 is THE best diesel engine in the universe!!!

·
Registered
9,173 Posts
Simon, I wish we had met in person and bought each other beer because then I could be sure I wasn't going to upset you with my response...

You are talking bollocks.

Read my post. Had a 2016 1.8 litre 177ps 320Nm torque ea888gen 3..this followed a 2012 with the same engine , marginally fewer horses.
The gen 3 engine wasn't an oil burner, all the previous generation oil burning issues were resolved. Both were on long life service intervals and neither needed topping up. Not once.

And the 3 litre diesel is lovely but perhaps a bit over the top for bimbling down to tescos with the kids in the back.....we never did find out what the OP was going to use it for.
You can get 2012 hatch with either engine for as little as 8k. The 1.8 has 60k miles and the diesel 144k miles. Horses for courses.

I do wonder why the OP was focussing on the 1.8 when there are loads more 2.0 petrol available....I just answered his questions to the best of my ability based on 7 years personal experience.

(y)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts