Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a couple of S5's already on the road in England. I get mine in a week, so im sure quite a few more will be here during that time. So the S5's are starting to trickle in. My mate who has ordered about 25 A5 Diesels for his company hasn't had as much as a sniff about delivery or when they will arrive.

Usually its the other way around and its the higher end of the market that has to wait for their cars.

Why has Audi given preference to the S model for this brand new A5 ?????

·
Registered
99 Posts
Because the people who know about the A5 already want the S5. The people who don't know about the car most likely don't care enough to research it and want the higher performance engine. Now I know a lot of people want the A5 for the 3.0 TDI but the V8 is what people really want, that awesome FSI engine :) The S5 gets noticed more easily than the A5 and will get the word out about the car even faster (especially helpful given the price tags).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because the people who know about the A5 already want the S5. The people who don't know about the car most likely don't care enough to research it and want the higher performance engine. Now I know a lot of people want the A5 for the 3.0 TDI but the V8 is what people really want, that awesome FSI engine :) The S5 gets noticed more easily than the A5 and will get the word out about the car even faster (especially helpful given the price tags).
So does that just refer to the A5 as its a brand new Model or will new variants of all models start getting the S versions out first too ?

·
Registered
99 Posts
So does that just refer to the A5 as its a brand new Model or will new variants of all models start getting the S versions out first too ?
I don't really understand what you're asking... I think in every county the S5 is being released first because the people who already know about it want that version most likely. So it's like advertising with your best looking model sort of thing. You wouldn't put a gorgeous looking model on the cover of a magazine when you have a drop-dead gorgeous looking model instead... ok that's a terrible analogy but you get what I mean. Put your strong foot first!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't really understand what you're asking... I think in every county the S5 is being released first because the people who already know about it want that version most likely. So it's like advertising with your best looking model sort of thing. You wouldn't put a gorgeous looking model on the cover of a magazine when you have a drop-dead gorgeous looking model instead... ok that's a terrible analogy but you get what I mean. Put your strong foot first!
Sorry, what i meant was. Will the new look A4 be launched with the S4 first etc or as usual the A4, then S4 then RS4 ??????

·
Registered
44 Posts
No not really. But I think your statement is location specific. Performance diesels are actually gaining rather strong traction in Europe. Fuel prices are making people think twice about going for large petrol engines these days and more people will chose the A5 than the S5 over here. Audi have already sold far more A5s than S5s and that's why delivery on the S5 is quicker.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ya I understand what you mean, in the USA we want the V8 :p Although at the same time, there's a growing group of people who want the TDI despite it being prohibited to sell them in California (where I live). /sigh

·
Registered
27 Posts
spot on spindrift. Im a bit eccentric but I cant understand why anyone would buy a 20mpg car these days unless they were loaded and had a more sensible car alongside it. I have a tdi coming next week (fingers crossed) and I ordered it before I had even driven any audi. Mad, but I got it for its mpg and power combination, which is unbeatable.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why pay an extra £5,000 when you can buy a TDI and then via a £500 chip boost bhp to approx 300 and torque to 480 ibs/ft. That will put performance on a par with an S5
Did it not occur to you that maybe you could chip or tune an S5 engine too, which could boost performance way over anything any chip could do to the standard A5 ?????

·
Registered
106 Posts
The gains from a turbo diesel pound for pound far outway a normally aspirated engine. It's horses for courses.

My Touareg v6 tdi chipped was every bit as quick as a v10. Of course the v10owner could then chip, but to save £15,000 in that case for £500 made sense.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts