Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share an experience with you, so those of you considering lowering your A5s can make an informed decision.

I had the H&R springs fitted by APS (along with the Milltek exhaust system) which lowered the car by 25mm or so. I think the car now looks great... but:

1. My insurance premium has gone through the roof. Talking to various brokers, the exhaust isn't an issue, but apparently insurers hate lowered cars.

I'm 35, live in a low-risk area, car is parked on a private driveway, have no endorsements or convictions, only one claim for vandalism (car got keyed) in last five years, fully-protected NCB and the quotes I am getting are all over £1,000 now.

2. I have to go over speed bumps at 5mph or lower to avoid whacking the bottom of the car on said bump - just look behind the front wheels and you'll see a kind of integrated mud-guard. on those really small-diameter speed bumps that prevalent near my house, the rebound of the shock / spring is such that even at 10mph this still catches.

3. The speed humps - you know the 'pyramid' type humps, rather than ones that go right across the road? Can't straddle these any more, seems to whack the under-tray 8 times out of ten, so now have to drive up onto bump with one wheel to avoid this.

#2 and #3 are nit-picky and not a problem every day, but I was genuinely shocked at #1. With hindsight, I don't think I would have done it had I realised it was going to add £200 a year to my insurance policy.

I've tried Adrian Flux, Sky Insurance, Endsleigh Modified and many others - none of them can produce a policy under £1,000.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, did I ask for abusive replies?

I am simply helping / hoping other people don't make the same mistake.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
If you're worried enough to share all of your issues with the world now, why didn't you check it out before?

Do you want sympathy?

Are you a Lewis Hamilton fan?
Why would you respond like that? Alot of folks here consider springs, and someone may find the info valuable....:confused:

·
Registered
549 Posts
OK, I was wrong to put it that way.

I apologise to "prhim"

My point is, I thought this was a forum for enthusiasts and if you want to learn something try the "search" feature first (i've seen plenty of novices slapped with this!)

Again, my apologies to "prhim"

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
OK, I was wrong to put it that way.

I apologise to "prhim"

My point is, I thought this was a forum for enthusiasts and if you want to learn something try the "search" feature first (i've seen plenty of novices slapped with this!)

Again, my apologies to "prhim"

Bang out of order Quattro Joe, and thanks to posts like this from prhim, when someone does do a search for this info they'll find something constructive. :mad:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
1. My insurance premium has gone through the roof. Talking to various brokers, the exhaust isn't an issue, but apparently insurers hate lowered cars.
Mine (Esure) noted it, sent a revised schedule and there was no change in premium. I am 37 and in a low risk area. Some insurers hate changes. Others really dont care once you are in your mid to late 30s.

I think the thing with the S5 is that it is already a high insurance grouping so the changes really dont increase the risk any more than it already is.

2. I have to go over speed bumps at 5mph or lower to avoid whacking the bottom of the car on said bump - just look behind the front wheels and you'll see a kind of integrated mud-guard. on those really small-diameter speed bumps that prevalent near my house, the rebound of the shock / spring is such that even at 10mph this still catches.
Yes. That is consistent with the rest of us that have posted similar stories. I dont run aground with the coilovers compared to when I had the H&R springs though.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Hey Phrin,

Sorry to hear of your woes... although this topic is quite well documented on here... try a search.

I too lowered mine originally with H&R springs. The insurance premium went up £38 for the springs, exhaust and spacers (First Alternative). So I suggest you try elsewhere and don't call it a modification... it's a change from manufacturer's standard! ...many companies will simply respond to say "we don't insure modified cars"... just wait for the question "Is it standard manufacturers spec?" Then tell them you have new springs... if they want more info, say they are H&R... unless they ask if it's lowered, you have no reason to mention the spec of the springs. Hope this helps. I pay £543 per year with full no claims.

I had fewer issues with the ride height when the H&Rs were fitted, but then again, I don't have a hoo-ooking great heavy diesel engine hanging over the front suspension!

I now have KW coilovers fitted, which have adjustable ride-height so you can have the lowered look without the bottoming-out issues by selecting a custom ride height. Furthermore, the ride is much, much better because the shocks are matched to the springs... several others with the TDi now have this mod too... Call Ed at APS for a quote and details.

Cheers!

Ian.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Johny - that's surprising (but hopeful). I spoke to A-plan and the cheapest they could get me was about £1,100.

I'll try the others people have mentioned - thanks guys,

m

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very good quotes from both esure and First Alternative - for a standard car...

both between £650 and £750 for protected NCD etc.

Wondering if the trick might be to take out the policy, then add the mods in a week or two...!?! Maybe then I'll get lucky like Ian and just get hit with an extra £30-50 rather than £300...

thanks again for the recommendations

·
Registered
2,046 Posts

Wondering if the trick might be to take out the policy, then add the mods in a week or two...!?! Maybe then I'll get lucky like Ian and just get hit with an extra £30-50 rather than £300...

'
I think Esure and First Alternative are very close products, if not the same thing branded, because I went to Esure and ended up with a First alternative policy!

...I was already a customer when I added the mods, so that may be a good idea, but beware... and accident in those intervening weeks could be very costly! ...if your planning on doing this, I'd be tempted to get both policies on monthly direct debit and overlap them by a month, so that you are fully covered for the mods before you declare them on your new insurance... ever cautious me!

Good luck... and seriously, look into the coilovers... they may be more costly than springs, but worth every penny... quite a few of us have switched.

Ian.

·
Registered
64 Posts

I think that this could be away around the problem :)

I was 46 and a sad old git at the time LOL

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Insurance companies will only be really fussed if you were involved in a serious accident where liablity was an issue or there was fatalities.They would need an excuse not to pay out and interogate every inch of the car including the ecu for remaps etc. The last thing you would want is a £100k bill because you were too stingy to pay the extra few hundred on the premiums

·
Registered
432 Posts
Is this a UK thing? I've modded tons are cars in my time and never reported it to my insurer. Hence, I never saw a change in premium.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
try elephant for a qoute, they were good for me last time round

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Is this a UK thing? I've modded tons are cars in my time and never reported it to my insurer. Hence, I never saw a change in premium.
Yes its the privlege for living in the uk.
Elephant do quote cheaply but can be an ass to deal with come crunch time

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.