Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to drive from Leeds to Hatfield today which is about 185 miles each way. Couldn't believe my average MPG when I returned home - 47.0MPG (actually, it just dipped to 46.3 as I parked in my drive but I'm going with the 47.0!)

Admittedly the traffic on the M1 was steady and slow but that's pretty amazing going for a petrol engine. Adding the remaining range to the trip distance suggests 595 miles from a tank (and for most of the trip it was 600 ... so sad I even took a phone pic of the DIS readout for proof).

I know, I know ... I won't really know the true consumption until I refill the tank and work out how much fuel I really used rather than the trip computer's guesstimates but this is still 2MPG more than I've ever had and I wasn't even trying to drive economically.

Could it be the cooler weather?

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I suppose that's good, yea.

But I managed this a while ago in the 3.0TDI... :D

... Over 40miles

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can make mine say 150mpg if I drive downhill for a couple of mins and reset the trip computer ;)

58.8 is pretty impressive. Can't ever recall getting my 2.0TDI A3 over 54mpg ... and that had the very economical DSG on it.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I can make mine say 150mpg if I drive downhill for a couple of mins and reset the trip computer ;)

58.8 is pretty impressive. Can't ever recall getting my 2.0TDI A3 over 54mpg ... and that had the very economical DSG on it.
I doubt i'd be able to get that now in all honesty. ever since it's service it hasn't been all that economical. It's also getting louder :confused:

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry Rab ... reading my post again it could sound like I was doubting you. I wasn't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in U.S.--why are your mpg ratings so much higher than here?

Cars with 3.0 in the U.S. are rated around in the 20s mpg for highway. Why are the numbers so much higher in Europe?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Cars with 3.0 in the U.S. are rated around in the 20s mpg for highway. Why are the numbers so much higher in Europe?
You are on about diesel are you???

Also, please be aware that the US gallon is also different to the Brit Gallon...

1 UK Gallon = 1.2 US Gallons

So the MPG will record lower anyway in the US as an equal comparison, but not as low as you have stated.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Can we get the display to show km/liter or would it always show l/100kms?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I managed an average of 33mpg on a recent trip, which I was extremely happy with, considering my Ford Expedition used to only get 20mpg at best.

·
Registered
457 Posts
We don't have a 3.0 here in the states, it's a 3.2 that runs on premium fuel. The 3.0 in Europe runs on diesel, hence the better mileage.

Unless I'm mistaken and there is a 3.0 non-diesel motor over there:confused:

·
Registered
435 Posts
I got 27.3 MPG in my S5 on a 60 mile trip this past weekend. That is a record for me and my S5. I also set the cruise to 56 MPH...

·
Registered
80 Posts
best i managed has been a little over 52mpg.... drive from watford to gatwick on the m25.... haven't got anywhere near that since

RAB88 - what happened at the service ? mine is due in 1000miles for the 1st service... can I ask how much it cost..... and also i thought the MPG should be going up instead of down after the new oil etc gets put in.....

Also another thing... probably the wrong thread but what is the difference between the long life and normal service...will subsequent services really be as stretched as the first one at 19,000 miles...

·
Registered
27 Posts
That is pretty impressive MPG - were you driving Miss Daisy by any chance??

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not bad milage, I have had 45 from a 25 mile journey, stuck in slow traffic at 45Mph in 6th gear.

I love the fact the second computer trip counter keeps the average since I got the car (I dont plan on ever resseting it). So far the overall average after 1000 miles is just over 30mpg.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts