Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! :D

A big hello from Warsaw, Poland! Not sure if you have anyone else on this forum from around here.

Anyway I am about to put in my order for an A5 but I am still undecided on a couple of points that maybe some of you can help me with.

First of all, the engine. All that I have managed to test drive here is the 3.0TDI. It is great but I have always been a Petrol guy. Have any of you driven the 3.2FSI? If so how does it compare to the 3.0TDI? On the test drive the problem I seem to have with the TDI is that the red line comes up so fast that it catches me of guard. I have hit the rev limiter a couple of times. If there is not that big a difference with acceleration then maybe I should go with FSI, or is the TDI so great (I do not doubt that) that I should forget the FSI.

Second issue I have is with the sunroof. I know that it does not open fully and for me it is not a problem (I probably would not be opening it fully very often anyway. I would like to ask what the final consensus on this add-on was, regardless of price. Have some of you had any experience using it? Does the shade block the sun when closed? Does it get loud at high speeds with the sunroof closed? Any other problems that I should know of before ordering?

Third issue is the suspension. Have any of you ordered the Audi Drive Select? Is it worth getting? And how about the sports suspention? Here they only have the normal suspension on the test cars. Is the sport suspension very much firmer? What are your thoughts on this issue?

I would like to thank all of you for any advice you can give me on any of these issues!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
First of all, the engine. All that I have managed to test drive here is the 3.0TDI. It is great but I have always been a Petrol guy. Have any of you driven the 3.2FSI? If so how does it compare to the 3.0TDI? On the test drive the problem I seem to have with the TDI is that the red line comes up so fast that it catches me of guard. I have hit the rev limiter a couple of times. If there is not that big a difference with acceleration then maybe I should go with FSI, or is the TDI so great (I do not doubt that) that I should forget the FSI.
Hi Starski,

Regarding Diesel/Petrol... not sure about the A5 (my S5 has yet to be delivered) but about 6 months ago I was looking at replacing my A6 with the new model and tried the 3.2FSI and the 2.7 and 3.0 Diesels.... Here's my thoughts...

I too am a petrol guy and had (until yesterday) a 2.7T petrol A6. I found that the 3.2FSI felt a little underpowered compared to my own car, because the twin turbos on mine add lots of torque... having said that, it was far from slow. Both diesels seemed when you first put your foot down to be a lot more powerful, but after increasing speed by 15-20mph, they just ran out of power and revs... and yes another gear change was required. Additionally, the turbo-lag was quite aparent. As a result, it just seemed harder work to accellerate up to cruising speed on the motorway (lots more changes rather than stick it in 4th, accelerate to illegal speeds and the drop it into 6th to cruise). It was like owning your first car all over again! Furthermore, when driving hard on back-roads, I was often caught-out in the wrong gear, or needing to change mid-corner, which again was annoying compared to having a more flexible petrol engine... I therefore am sticking with the petrol option. My guess is it depends what you need the car for... there are many driving conditions where the differences are negligible or the diesel is better... but I live in a rural area with wicked back roads and fast windy A roads, so fo me the choice was easy... I must say, you should press your local dealer to get hold of one for you to drive as this is the only real way to tell what is right for you.

Can any Diesel guys also comment on what they think of the petrol, to give a balanced argument?

Regards, Ian.

·
Registered
292 Posts
With a manual diesel you have to ride the torque which comes in the middle of a narrow rev band. For best performance you have to change up quickly and not go near the red-line. The 3.0TDI will sit happily in 5th & 6th, whether that be on the motorway or twisties, and give you lots of tractable grunt. In contrast, the petrol engine needs to be revved to tap into the peak power that comes higher up the rev band. Each demands a different approach to gear changes / driving style.

·
Registered
643 Posts
When the TDI's on boost, say 30-40mph in 3rd, very few cars overtake quicker than it does.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
With a manual diesel you have to ride the torque which comes in the middle of a narrow rev band. For best performance you have to change up quickly and not go near the red-line. The 3.0TDI will sit happily in 5th & 6th, whether that be on the motorway or twisties, and give you lots of tractable grunt. In contrast, the petrol engine needs to be revved to tap into the peak power that comes higher up the rev band. Each demands a different approach to gear changes / driving style.
I mostly agree, but My A6 went from walking pace to 120mph in 4th gear. The tractable grunt was from 30mph to 110mph. Similarly, 6th would take you from 50mph to 160 mph... but it was a turbo, which means lots of torque at low revs.

As you say... they need different driving styles... as I am now finding out with my wife's 2.5 turbo diesel landrover defender!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So generally with the TDI you have to be careful not to get caught under geared as I understand. This would mean that most of the time you are forced to keep the revs low. Great for comfort but does that take away from the sporty driving feeling you get from high revving engines or do you stop noticing that quickly due to the massive torque you get at low revs? I personally was shocked at the torque but I am not sure I can get used to not pushing the engine into high revs.

How about the suspension? Any of you have any thoughts on that by any chance? The quality here in Poland on many roads is still very poor, I was thinking of getting the Audi Drive select to get the best of both worlds (comfort on poor roads and added road feel on better roads) but I can not find any good reviews on this feature.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Audi does come in for some stick with its harsh sports suspension. I've driven a number of loaner A6s and A4s with regular suspension and thought they were more compliant and comfortable. However, I was always pleased to get back into my sports suspension car. There's also the issue of looks - lowered suspension makes the wheel arch gap look better. Can't comment about Drive Select since it's not an option in the UK yet, or anywhere else to my knowledge. In theory it sounds what you are after.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
How about the suspension? Any of you have any thoughts on that by any chance? The quality here in Poland on many roads is still very poor, I was thinking of getting the Audi Drive select to get the best of both worlds (comfort on poor roads and added road feel on better roads) but I can not find any good reviews on this feature.
Audi drive select hasn't and still isn't an option on A5/S5 here in the UK, but had it been an option I would have ticked it on the options list.

Sunroof - well if you ave the cash go for it, I'm not that patient and didn't want to wait the extra 6 weeks for delivery so I never got it.

3.2 V6 FSI is a good engine, I love the raspy sound it makes...kinda like an E46 M3 makes. I know what you mean about hitting the rev limiter in the TDI as I did it so many times on my test drive, but I guess thats because I wasn't use to the gearing of the car. If fuel consumption isn't a big deal to you then I would take the 3.2V6. Otherwise stick with the 3.0TDi as you get the performance and not such a big fuel bill.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I personally was shocked at the torque but I am not sure I can get used to not pushing the engine into high revs.
Likewise... I put my foot down in the 3.0TDI and thought Bloody hell!! then braced myself for the surge of power as the revs rose and was dissapointed that it just didn't come...

·
Registered
275 Posts
The 3.2 is nice and so is the 3.0 - the 3.0 Tdi offers a better balance of economy and performance, but the 3.2 runs as well (but not bettter), but is quieter and sounds like a petrol engine with a pleasant noise ( the 3.0 doesn't sound bad at all for a diesel, but still isn't as nice as petrol V6).

I don't know that the drive select is an available option yet. If it is, it's worth getting if you can afford it, but by no means mandatory, the car does handle quite well and is comfortable ( mine is an S5).

I did away with the sunroof since it doesn't open. My experience has always shown that the bigger the roof, the noisier it does get, and as the car chassis settles, air does leak in, making noise especially at higher speeds..... So considering you don't get the benefit of a real sunroof, why go with just the disadvantages....

hope this helps!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got the 3.0TDI and initialy struggled with the revs esp in 1st and 2nd hiting the red line a couple of times but you soon realise how to use the torque and the pull in 3rd and 4th is awsome. Not sure about 6th gear tho' the ratio doesn't seem to be far off 5th and as i don't do many motorway miles is a bit redundant. The balance of performance and economy is 2nd to none.

The sunroof isn't an option in uk so can't comment

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for your comments! It's a big help, and will certainly help me make my decision.

Finally I probably will go with the TDI. Good mileage, performance, I will have to learn to drive it though but that hopefully is just a matter of time. Also the thought of having it chip tuned by MTM to 300bhp always gives an option if the 240bhp stock becomes a bit to little.

Have any of you any thoughts on MTM’s tuning solution, any of you know if you loose Audi’s warrantee if you tune the engine at MTM?

Audi select drive is a bit expensive, I am a bit afraid the adjustable suspension will break down on the poor roads we have here, so I probably will stick to the standard suspension. Also I checked and it seems that the sport suspension is not lowered in comparison to the standard one. It is only the Sport S line suspension that is lowered by 10mm. And the select drive suspension is lowered by 20mm.

Have any of you seen the sunroof in person? I have only seen it on a few pictures and none of the A5 the dealers have here have it installed. I have always liked the panoramic glass roofs but I am not sure how "panoramic" this a5 sunroof is.

Anyway again thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Over in the US the sunroof is standard. I never use it fully open so don't mind that it tilts only. I saw one in an S5 about a month or so ago and the interior was very roomy and nice. However, the sunroof added that little extra bit of light to make the interior feel bigger than it really is. Since it's an option for you, then perhaps you simply ask if its worth it. Resale value wouldn't matter much in your case.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Be careful with the sunroof, when I ordered my car in October, there were some problems with sunroofs delivery and the car would not have been delivered before June-July 08. Basically, it was not available and the dealer suggested me to forget it if I wanted to have my car in reasonable delays. Apparently (from German forums) it seems to be the case also now with 19'' wheels - but this is not from an official source.

I also went from the petrol to the diesel and cannot comment on that choice as I didn't get the car yet. Main arguments were for me : lower consumption and very good motor performance (I tried a 3.0 TDI quattro).

I also took the sports suspension, the car I tried had them and I found the car very responsive to the road without being too uncomfortable. But here I would say it's more a question of taste, my previous Audis were all with the normal suspension and they were also perfect on the road.

Audi Drive Select was not an option in Switzerland when I ordered the car, so I cannot comment. To me it feels a bit like a "nice to have" but not mandatory feature.

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
One of the better sunroof pictures I've seen is the white S5 in this thread:

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/s5-20-rs4s-811/index.html

Definitely qualifies as panoramic.

Anyway, welcome Starski... with that handle, I would have expected you to be more in the market for something like this ;)

What is it with me and the 70s/80s TV show images lately? I must be feeling nostalgic. My Tivo has been on that kick lately too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hehe :D , you know Hutch borrowed the Torino and hasn’t given it back since! That’s why i am looking for a modern replacement, I think I have not chosen poorly ;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
haha yeah that's actually an A5 S-Line if I'm looking at the same pic that you put up... same one as in my avatar.

Witam Starski :) Yes I'm Polish, from Krakow. Best of luck with your order.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts