Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi !

My S5 has about 8k km on her and now I am facing the following :

When I push the car to the red line, swifting from 1st to 2nd gear, the clutch doesn't fully dissengage (or the gear doesnt engage).

Let's say I rev in first gear up to the red line, press the clutch, quicly swift into second gear then press the accelerator all the way down and release the clutch, what happens ? The revs go to 6-7k, they stay there and the car accelerates like an auto. If during this period I press the clutch again, the gear engages normaly.

I believe this causes terrible wear to the clutch disk... Called local AUDI and they dont seem to have heard about this before...:confused:

Anybody here has ???

Thanks for the feeedback...

·
Registered
435 Posts
If you have been doing that for the past 8km then you have just about burned out your clutch. That is a wear issue and they will not be covering it under any warranty. You should know that any day now it is going to fail on you. I am not a professional mechanic, but that is my gut instinct.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Yep, sounds like you have worn your clutch out as it's slipping on full power. The clutch is simply not designed for 'full power shifts' i.e.. not designed to be engaged with the engine at full revs and under full power... for that you should fit a competition or drag clutch. It's the sort of abuse you can get away with in a small low powered car and the 'young lads' tend to try this in the mistaken belief that it's faster. You can't do this in 350bhp car with a road-going clutch.You seriously need to change your driving style to engage the clutch as you apply the throttle not after or face a huge bill.

The wear might not be too bad and with proper up-shifting and rev-matching downshifts the car may be fine for a while yet before the clutch needs changing.

A new clutch is about £350 and the labour is about £1,200, so it's worth driving 'sympathetically'. This does not mean slowly! ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to update you all on a new identified issue with the S5...

AUDI accepted to replace the clutch and disk free of charges (guarantee), do to some abnormality on the behavour of the clutch.

I agree that I might be 'abusing' the clutch from time to time by fast or abusing swifting, but I consider that the trasmition system is made to handle the car output... This is not a tuned car that was made for lower hp. This car is supposed to be a state of art engineering product !

And no... This is not my first car !!! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just to update you all on a new identified issue with the S5...

AUDI accepted to replace the clutch and disk free of charges (guarantee), do to some abnormality on the behavour of the clutch.

I agree that I might be 'abusing' the clutch from time to time by fast or abusing swifting, but I consider that the trasmition system is made to handle the car output... This is not a tuned car that was made for lower hp. This car is supposed to be a state of art engineering product !

And no... This is not my first car !!! :)
Did they say how long it would take to fix? Based on another thread, it seems as though the part itself takes up to 2 weeks to arrive stateside!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did they say how long it would take to fix? Based on another thread, it seems as though the part itself takes up to 2 weeks to arrive stateside!
The repair itself will take something like 10 working days... The parts are already here, but they are not ready to start the repair... They are missing the specials tools and they are expecting to receive them from Germany.

They say this is the first job like this one done on an S5 in Greece, so... fingers crossed !!!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
They say this is the first job like this one done on an S5 in Greece, so... fingers crossed !!!
nickchr, can you please update your profile to display your location? Thanks. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts