Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The A5 55k mile service calls for (amongst other things):
Plenum Panel - remove cover for plenum panel to check water drain and clean if necessary

I searched the site, other sites & searched google with no result as to what this is let alone where it is. Can anyone assist? I'm sure it will be a "duh" or "Ah Ha" moment once somebody tells me.

I picked up the car CPO with 45k miles so I didn't have to find it at the 15k mile mark.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Just guessing here, but a plenum is an enclosed space where the air pressure is higher than outside, so I'd guess at the air cleaner?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
My guess: there are drain holes above the wheel arches that drain water from the area near the engine compartment bulhead (firewall). To access them you remove two plastic panels located up near the windshield wipers and brake fluid reservoir. I did this last spring and found there's a pretty large enclosed volume under the panels and it was filled with leaves and small sticks.

Reactions: LouKnew

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
My guess: there are drain holes above the wheel arches that drain water from the area near the engine compartment bulhead (firewall). To access them you remove two plastic panels located up near the windshield wipers and brake fluid reservoir. I did this last spring and found there's a pretty large enclosed volume under the panels and it was filled with leaves and small sticks.
Sounds very plausible. Might check mine now you've said that!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yes plenum chamber is the area at the bulkhead at base of windscreen.
I have not checked it on my A5 as I had not been aware of the requirement to do so. I do know that a blocked drain from the plenum area caused along of issues with rover 75, flooding ecu etc so I have do a few drain clearing jobs on those.
Must have a look at the A5 to so what is involved. I park under trees so likely to have alot of crap in there.

Edit:
Had a quick look. There is a drain on the passenger side (right hand drive) that is easily accessible after unclipping plastic cover. you can squirt some water from drinking bottle right at the drain to see if its escaping. You can also reach the underside of the drain via the engine bay.
I cannot see any on the other side of the car. Due to layout, any great build up will make its way to the other side anyway before it would get to a level that it might cause any issue.
Can anyone clarify whether there is a second drain hole or not?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Reactions: LouKnew
1 - 7 of 7 Posts