Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO just got back from an appointment to have my wheels aligned, rear offside was way out but the garage has said they cant do it due to a seized pinch bolt on the rear control arm.... They say if they try to force it will snap. My question is what are my options now then? Force it myself ? Take it to Audi at a cost of stupid amounts? Anyone experienced this before I'm thinking of applying some heat with a blow torch to hopefully slacken it off?

This car is turning me into an amateur mechanic!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Tight bolts can turn into a nightmare when it goes wrong. I was doing the rear shocks recently and the lower bolt would not move. In the end took to a tire shop and the guy pulled out a 1inch thick breaker bar about 1m long and hanged until the bolt slowly come off.. I was praying the bolt dont snap ☠

Heat will make life easier but have to consider if surrounding area has any bushes as heat will be distroy in process. You can always apply penetrating oil few days in advance and again before the big day 😁

Watch this video how a day can be spoiled..he snapped 2 bolts..yikes

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So been under the car today and it is indeed seized. But i don't understand what it actually has to do with adjusting anything with the wheel itself as it just looks like a normal nut and bolt holding the suspension arm. (see pic) can anyone confirm why this nut would need to be slackened off?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am not sure why they would need to remove that but if you watch this video from 1:30 I thought that's the bolt used to adjust the wheel alignment..but I could be wrong :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Which alignment spec are you trying to adjust? I've adjusted the rear toe and camber and neither has anything to do with that bolt you're talking about.

Bolt for CAMBER

1 - 5 of 5 Posts