Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm new here so be gentle. Just bought a 2008 3.0 Tdi and love it to bits. I was wondering, have any of you had the full 4 wheel laser alignment check done and if so, did the wheels need adjusting?
Also does anybody know who can carry out this check up in the NE Scotland, round the Aberdeenshire area would be perfect?
Thanks
Martin

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Not sure who could do it for you in Aberdeenshire area, but if you are ever down the Fife area star performance can do it for you.

Jim from star performance has a 3.0TDI A5 and he checked his alignment as soon as he got it and found it to not be right. He also mentioned to me that with Audi from new they usually are out of alignment so yes its a good idea to get it checked.

Jim did my A4 after he found my A4 wasn't handling quite right, and after he had done it there was a big difference.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Last time I enquired the local Audi dealer, they quoted me £180 for an A4. :yikes::yikes:

I got it checked at a 'Kwik-fit' in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. They had a brand new £30k machine which was very impressive. They type in your car's model number and it downloaded the manufacturers alignment data. :cool:
Although the A4 was scrubbing rear tyres, the alignment was spot-on. Cost me £20 because no adjustments were neccessary. Later found the scrubbing was down to crap Pirelli's.

It might be worth checking your local kwik-fit to see if there's a similar machine in your area.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that, I have just mailed StarP.
At £200+ for a tyre it'll be worth it and it might even handle a bit better too!
The last time I was at Kwikfit they scratched my alloy and lost a wheel nut. I dont go near them now.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I had my alignment done by the dealer as I complained of crazy handling when new. It was out but the handling never did improve much. Im not convinced they got it right tbh. Also, these cars need a raised toe check when alignment is being carried out as far as Im aware. This involves checking the alignment of the front wheels when car is sitting on its wheels (as is normally tested) and also then the alignment of the front wheels checked with the front of the car raised using a special rig and a dealer setting tool to carry out the check at a specific suspension height. This check is needed due to the complex suspension arm setup and when this is setup wrongly, you can experience turning angle being introduced if driving over bumps and one side of the car comes down bfore the other. Due to this layout, I wouldnt use the independant tyre places as any of them Ive asked had never heard of raised toe check.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had my alignment done by the dealer as I complained of crazy handling when new.
Out of curiosity, what 'crazy handling' did you have, and on what model A5.

I've always found mine severly 'tramlines' under acceleration, as the front lifts and the steering goes very light (more than I would expect these days!). I put it down to the fact that I should have bought a quattro! :wall:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.