Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading the self study guide for the 4.2 V8 FSI Engine. There are basically two engine types;

Engine code BAR developed for the Audi Q7, redline @6800rpm (350bhp)
Engine code BNS - a high-reving variation developed for the RS4, redline @7800rpm (420bhp) (This is significantly different)

Anyone know what the Engine version the S5 is based upon?

I had read somewhere that the s5 was based on the RS4 high reving engine, but was de-tuned. For all you lucky owners, what does it say in your drivers handbook?

Incidently, it looks like the S4 is still using the 5V/cylinder V8 - the s5 is 4valves/cylinder.

----------------------------------
Eagerly awaiting, S5, Custom Misano Red, B&O, Nav+ due in February

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've been reading the self study guide for the 4.2 V8 FSI Engine. There are basically two engine types;

Engine code BAR developed for the Audi Q7, redline @6800rpm (350bhp)
Engine code BNS - a high-reving variation developed for the RS4, redline @7800rpm (420bhp) (This is significantly different)

Anyone know what the Engine version the S5 is based upon?

I had read somewhere that the s5 was based on the RS4 high reving engine, but was de-tuned. For all you lucky owners, what does it say in your drivers handbook?

Incidently, it looks like the S4 is still using the 5V/cylinder V8 - the s5 is 4valves/cylinder.

----------------------------------
Eagerly awaiting, S5, Custom Misano Red, B&O, Nav+ due in February

I don't know what it says in the books, but my understanding from every review I've read is that the 4.2 in the S5 is the same basic engine as in the current S4, RS4 and R8.

·
Registered
204 Posts
RS4 and R8 is the same motor. S5 and Q7 is the same. the S4 motor is another motor completly is what I have heard.

Tonny

·
Registered
318 Posts
Agreed. Specs for S5 engine are closer to 4.2FSI in the Q7.

RS4 and R8 is the same motor. S5 and Q7 is the same. the S4 motor is another motor completly is what I have heard.

Tonny

·
Registered
273 Posts
Agreed. Specs for S5 engine are closer to 4.2FSI in the Q7.
The quotes I've seen, when discussing the S5 engine and its heritage, say that the S5 engine is "derived from" the engine in the R8, RS4 and current S4. It obviously is not in the same configuration -- not a single turbo in the S5, forget two.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Jeff,
Turbo on a 4.2 V8? I don't think Audi have done this yet - there's no real need with the RS4 developing 414bhp normally aspirated.

My understanding is that the engine was developed from the old 4.2 V8 and was first used in the current S4. The biggest alteration was that the cam belt on the front of the engine was replaced by a cam chain on the back, meaning no need for a belt change at 60k mile service. The engine ancilliaries were also repackaged making the engine much shorter and also lighter than the 4.2 V8 previously fitted to the A8 and A6 ranges, however it was a development of this engine. The alterations allowed it to fit in the engine bay of the current S4, which the older engine was too long for.

It's also NOT a 5 valve engine in the S4 - it's essentially the same as the engine in the S4, RS4, S5, R8, Q7, Allroad etc. but in different states of tune. The RS4 and R8 have the ECU mapped to allow it to go to 8200rpm and also have lighter internals and FSI as well as a free-flowing exhaust system, catalyst and air filter. Main change from the S4 to the S5 is inclusion of FSI which the S4 doesn't have, giving about 15bhp more (until the new S4 comes next year, based on the new A4 range).

Hope this clears things up a bit.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A few more details of the two 4.2V V8

Thanks for the replies on the 4.2L V8 - its hard to get tech details from AudiUSA crappy web site (little details for example about the B&O option)

The high-reving V8 used in the Rs4 has the following differences over the base engine, according tothe study guide;

Crankshaft/connecting rods/pistons - better balancing & different materials
Timing gear -different gearing and chain type
Cylinder head - different valves, cooling and valve timing
Oil supply - different sump with baffles to avoid oil starvation at high G forces
Engine cooling - 2 additional coolers
Intake path - different intake manifold
Exhaust system - seperate rear silencers plus flaps that open under vacuum to enhance eaxhaust note
Engine Mangement -dual ECM for the Computer procesing power needed - wow!

I assume the S5 is actually a variation on both of these Engines. If I find out more I will post. Does nayone have a link to details on the S5 Engine?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Jeff,
Turbo on a 4.2 V8? I don't think Audi have done this yet - there's no real need with the RS4 developing 414bhp normally aspirated.
Sorry, I was one generation removed from the twin turbo S4 engine, which I think was a 6 cylinder -- NOT the 4.2 liter v8 -- and two removed from the single turbocharger boosted 5 cylinder (again, pretty sure) in the first gen S4. Don't know how I got my mental wires so crossed. Call it halfzheimers (if you get Alzheimers at 80, at 42 I guess I'm halfway there.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Jeff,
The old RS6 was a 4.2 V8 Twin Turbo :cool:

·
Registered
273 Posts
The old RS6 was a 4.2 V8 Twin Turbo :cool:
Risky,

Thanks. I thought I'd remembered Audi having done a twin turbo 4.2 engine. Even if I mistakenly transplanted it into the wrong vehicle in my memory I'm glad it wasn't a complete brain fart. Is my now, hopefully, corrected memory accurate about the previous S4 engines?

·
Registered
275 Posts
The S4 used to in fact be a twin turbo V6, before becoming a V8 40 valve engine. The S5 is a 32 valve V8 normally aspirated FSI engine ( no turbo).

The previous RS6 was a twin turbo V8 ( non FSI), the new one is a twin turbo V10. THere have been no turbo FSI V8s, so everybody is somewhat right to some extent....

·
Registered
273 Posts
The S4 used to in fact be a twin turbo V6, before becoming a V8 40 valve engine. The S5 is a 32 valve V8 normally aspirated FSI engine ( no turbo).

The previous RS6 was a twin turbo V8 ( non FSI), the new one is a twin turbo V10. THere have been no turbo FSI V8s, so everybody is somewhat right to some extent....
Just to close the loop, is the V10 the same engine that is in the S8 now, just without the turbos? And, is the V10 the one that was in the Nuvolari concept?

·
Registered
53 Posts
V10's is Lambo's from Murcielago

Lamborghini Gallardo V10 engine is what's used in the S6,S8 and upcoming R8 V10. And yes it was the one which debuted in the Nuvolari Concept car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.