Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning to just get rock guard on the front bumper because I didn't want the line on my hood that I've had on my last 2 cars. I thought about the fenders and mirrors but didn't think they would need it. I don't drive on any gravel roads.

I mentioned this to my dealer who said if I'm not going to do the hood then I shouldn't bother doing any rock guard at all. He said the front bumper is plastic or rubber or something and doesn't need it and he doesn't have it on his cars and I shouldn't bother.

What are your opinions. The front bumper is the most expensive place for 3M. I think the quote was over $300.

·
Registered
157 Posts
After 15,000 miles I would say that i have more small chips on the front bumper than anywhere else, BUT they seem to show less than those on the "hood" (as you call it). I would gladly trade 3 similar sized chips on the front bumber for each one on the hood, so if I had a choice I would cover the hood and the front wings and accept the chips on the bumper - get that resprayed after a year or so. Also the bumper may suffer from parking brushes which I presume the film will not do much to protect?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I was planning to just get rock guard on the front bumper because I didn't want the line on my hood that I've had on my last 2 cars.
I had the 3M 8mm polyurethane, premium film installed on my A5. Like you, I had ZERO desire to have a line showing on my Brilliant Black hood. I chose to have the film installed on the front bumper, the headlights, and the mirrors. Total cost was $950USD for those 3 areas. (If I had wanted just the bumper done, the cost would have been $600USD.)

I have no regrets and I'm glad I did it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I, too, had the "clear bra" installed on my A5. I have never had it on a car before; in fact, I had never even seen it before. When I saw an example of it on another Audi at the dealer (an A4, I think) I was terribly bothered by the line, but I came to the conclusion it was the location of the line that made it so noticeable and strange (it covered about 1/3 to 1/2 of the hood). I decided it should either be all or much less. I ended up having the front bumper, side mirrors, headlights, and only the first 10-11 inches of the hood covered, and even though the line is still visible I find it much less disturbing than if it were higher up on the hood. I'm very pleased with my decision. Fortunately, after 2,500 miles, I haven't really noticed any rock chips anywhere (yet), but I have noticed that the dead bugs plastered on the front of the car seem to be conveniently limited to the lower portion of the hood that is covered with the clear bra, so I'm assuming that is also the part of the car most likely to be affected by rocks. By the way, mine is quartz gray, so chips may be less visible than on BB, but I hope this bit of input is helpful nonetheless.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Ah...that is the question...hood or no hood...my car came pre-installed with the the same one as TX (I think maybe we're talking about 8 mil not 8 mm ;) ). So I didn't get to choose, it only goes up about 13 inches (on the hood), but I have to admit I thought it a little odd when I first saw it myself.

It was already on there and I thought, what the heck...I'll leave it for a bit while I decide if I want to keep it. The main problem/difference I have found with protecting the plastic bumper cover compared to the metal hood is that most pebbles seem to bounce a bit when they hit the bumper cover and seem to cause a less damage...whereas when the same pebbles hit metal, there is no "forgiveness" and BAM! paint chip.

I toiled with the decision to add the film to my car (on the hood), but was always too unsure about the implications of waxing and fading over time among others. My BMW (only a year old) shows two small-ish chips on the lip of the hood, but none on the plastic bumper :mad: ... this doesn't make the decision any easier...In theory (depending on my mood) it seems like it would help, but then there is also the probability of wax build up, etc. etc...

Since my car won't physically be here for at least another week, I am sure I will have to just wonder an probably let myself sway with peer pressure. :D :D

·
Registered
435 Posts
After 5k miles in NJ the number of chips in the front of my car is disturbing. I would say only go up about 5 inches on the hood. That is were the 6 chips I already have are located. The front plastic bumper has multiple defects as well. I couldn't believe how many showed up after I clayed my car. I guess it depends on your logic, if you figure that your front bumper is going to take a beating other than the road debris then don't do it, otherwise, i'd say it is in your best interest.

·
Registered
256 Posts
What are your opinions. The front bumper is the most expensive place for 3M. I think the quote was over $300.
I didn't get the 3M on this car, I don't like it on white cars. But, I am starting to have second thoughts now as my front bumper is getting beat up. I do drive on gravel roads, but that's not where the damage occurs. All the gravel they spread on our Alberta roads all winter is really the issue. If I could do it again, I would probably get it on the front bumper, but nowhere else.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the Venture Shield film installed on my S5 (Phantom). Like you, I did not want the line on the hood... the lines on this car flow so nicely, I didn't want even a small interuption. So... my detailer suggested that they could wrap the entire hood in the product, which I did.

It turned out very nice, the venture shield product is much more clear than the 3M product, and doesn't have the orange peel effect that 3M does. The hood is pretty much indistinguishable from the rest of the car. The quarter panels did only go up 12 inches or so, so there is a line but not noticeable.

I had the whole hood, front bumpers, door edges, headlights, etc. all wrapped. It was $300 more for the whole hood. I'm happy with the end result though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Can you guys post some pictures?

Interested in getting this done, and curious to see the difference in texture of the 3M vs. the Venture Shield.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the advise.

It is ventureshield that the shop uses. They quoted me $350 for the front bumper only. I also got a quote for $269 for 3M at another more reputable shop (at least they are more reputable for tinting don't know how they are for 3M).

I still haven't decided.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Interested in getting this done, and curious to see the difference in texture of the 3M vs. the Venture Shield.

It's raining here, but supposed to be nice this week. I'll take some pics.

Those who have seen 3M and venture shield side by side mostly say the VS product is much more transparent. I have VS on my car and it is very clear.

Texture wise - the 3M results in a bit of orange peel like of a look, while the VS product seems to have more of a striation look to it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think I'll get the whole hood done also....that line on the dealer's car was annoying the hell out of me. Plus when I worry about the build-up at the borders

·
Registered
750 Posts

I actually have "Autobahnd Roadblock" on mine, there is no orange peel texture at all. It is pricey too though (about $850+ for the entire front).

I had the Venture Shield film installed on my S5 (Phantom). Like you, I did not want the line on the hood... the lines on this car flow so nicely, I didn't want even a small interuption. So... my detailer suggested that they could wrap the entire hood in the product, which I did.

It turned out very nice, the venture shield product is much more clear than the 3M product, and doesn't have the orange peel effect that 3M does. The hood is pretty much indistinguishable from the rest of the car. The quarter panels did only go up 12 inches or so, so there is a line but not noticeable.

I had the whole hood, front bumpers, door edges, headlights, etc. all wrapped. It was $300 more for the whole hood. I'm happy with the end result though.
I have considered having the entire hood done as well (mine came with the car). The film that I have (the Autobahnd) is a polyurethane film that is similar in composition to the clear coat, so it waxes well. i will enjoy the car for a few weeks before I decide. I can post some picts this weekend when mine arrives (Sunday 05/25).

C.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I had the Ventureshield product installed yesterday - having just sold two cars within the past few months (a Lexus GS300 and my Infiniti FX35) where the entire front ends were torn up I knew I had to get something done on the Audi. After only 2 days and ~125 miles, we found one very small rock chip already on the lip of the hood.... :mad:

Since I was really paranoid about the "line", I had them do the "full coverage" on the car - so both my hood and fenders are completely covered (and wrapped around at 90% of the edges). Obviously, they installed the film on the bumper, headlights, fog lights and broad parts of the grille as well. And, being the nice guys that they are, they also did my side mirrors, A-Pillars, and a little mudflap area behind the rear wheels.

All told, it took around 5 hours to complete, but they did a great job. If you are in the Los Angeles area I would highly recommend my installer - Aerotect in LaVerne. Ask for Jeanne or Francisco. http://www.aerotect.net

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had a local tinter install Solar Gard Clearshield (8 mil) on the front bumper, front fenders, headlights, and about 1/3 of the hood of the Fridge (08, S5, Ibis White). Since I was friends with her father, the cost was only $300. She hand cut everything herself and gave me a "lifetime" warranty (though Clearshield only offers a 5 year warranty) on everything including discoloration. Her first installation was not satisfactory (bubbles and creases) so she replaced everything to my satisfaction.
I just finished a 6000 mile road trip from Nevada to Indiana, Texas, New Mexico, and back to Nevada in 3 1/2 weeks. THANK GOD FOR THE CLEARSHIELD!! There are a couple of stone dings on the hood film but the paint was not effected. The bumpers, headlights, and fenders show no sign of damage though I know they got hit by stones on the Interstates. The bugs washed off easily. When the car is really clean, it is difficult to see the lines unless you know to look for them. I'M A BELIVER!!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I had the Ventureshield product installed yesterday - having just sold two cars within the past few months (a Lexus GS300 and my Infiniti FX35) where the entire front ends were torn up I knew I had to get something done on the Audi. After only 2 days and ~125 miles, we found one very small rock chip already on the lip of the hood.... :mad:

Since I was really paranoid about the "line", I had them do the "full coverage" on the car - so both my hood and fenders are completely covered (and wrapped around at 90% of the edges). Obviously, they installed the film on the bumper, headlights, fog lights and broad parts of the grille as well. And, being the nice guys that they are, they also did my side mirrors, A-Pillars, and a little mudflap area behind the rear wheels.

All told, it took around 5 hours to complete, but they did a great job. If you are in the Los Angeles area I would highly recommend my installer - Aerotect in LaVerne. Ask for Jeanne or Francisco. http://www.aerotect.net
I'm in the LA area and am definitely intrigued by the idea of full coverage. Do you have any detailed pics to show how it looks compared to an uncovered panel (like where the fender ends and the door begins)? Also, what about detailing -- I'm assuming you don't wax or claybar the covered areas... or do you?

-Ray

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm in the LA area and am definitely intrigued by the idea of full coverage. Do you have any detailed pics to show how it looks compared to an uncovered panel (like where the fender ends and the door begins)? Also, what about detailing -- I'm assuming you don't wax or claybar the covered areas... or do you?

-Ray
I can try to take a pic... but it's a black car... and the film is transparent... so I would not hold my breath for any visibility out of the pics.

The best way to describe the job it is that for the vast majority of the piece, the film covers all of the painted ("visible") body part, and then with the 1/2" film left over, they tuck it around to the back, non-visible side. On a partial wrap, there is always a line, somewhere - sometimes more visible than others, but it is always there.

With any clearbra I believe you wash as normal, wax is optional, claybar not necessary. Aerotect actually gave me a bottle of plastic cleaner spray specifically designed to clean the Clearbra material.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.