Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks

A few weeks ago my A5 was unceremoniously written off by another driver turning across my path directly in front of me, I had no time to react/brake (or even say oh sh*t!!!). The insurance have been brilliant, paid out within a week & the Police have confirmed they intend to prosecute the 3rd party.

So the hunt begins for a replacement.

My A5 was a 2007/57 plate 3ltr TDI quattro & was undoubtedly the best car I’ve owned to date & I’d been thinking of upgrading to either a B8.5 or the latest B9 & this has kind of brought things forward.
Ideally I want to stay with 3ltr TDI quattro as & my question is to people who have had a B8 or 8.5 & upgraded to the B9 what are your thoughts? Is the B9 as good as the B8 or 8.5? Any niggles, improvements etc?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Does the B9 have a 3.0 TDI ? I was curious, I just had a look on Audi and the biggest diesel engine it will let me choose/build with an A5 is a 2.0 TDI / 203 PS ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The first B9's you could get the 3.0TDI in either 218PS or 286PS. Now you can only get the 3.0 TDI in the S5 (347PS).

·
Registered
11 Posts
The first B9's you could get the 3.0TDI in either 218PS or 286PS. Now you can only get the 3.0 TDI in the S5 (347PS).
Oh wow I did not realise that. I have a B8.5 A5 3.0 TDI. Is this the same engine they use in the B9 3.0 TDI S5 or is this a new engine?

I have not remapped mine, but if my engine is the same engine they use in the new B9 S5, maybe I definitely should.. :oops:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I imagine that it has been reworked/possibly all new to get that performance, so to answer your question I do not know. I have the B8 3.0TDI and would very much like a remap at somepoint.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the B9 have a 3.0 TDI ? I was curious, I just had a look on Audi and the biggest diesel engine it will let me choose/build with an A5 is a 2.0 TDI / 203 PS ?
I'm looking at 2017 models which were produced with 2ltr & 3ltr TDI versions, I'm not sure when the 3ltr was discontinued from the A5 range though :unsure:
As has been mentioned the new S5 is a diesel & I believe this is because the petrol version can't meet the new stricter CO2 regs, but the diesels can.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm looking at 2017 models which were produced with 2ltr & 3ltr TDI versions, I'm not sure when the 3ltr was discontinued from the A5 range though :unsure:
As has been mentioned the new S5 is a diesel & I believe this is because the petrol version can't meet the new stricter CO2 regs, but the diesels can.
Just had a look at some AutoTrader listings - the 2017+ 3.0 TDI are less power than the old version (215 BHP?), I think you should get a 2012-2016 one instead!! :) (Exhaust on the left hand side of the car only looks like a downgrade too with the newer models!)

I haven't had/driven a B9 but yeah that's my 2 cents. Looks a bit disappointing really, but the interior is lovely. I don't know how I'd feel about paying quite a fair chunk more and having less power standard).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts