Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I received a written confirmation today that my A5, which is scheduled for production in week 48, will have the new 3G MMI system. My sales rep also told me that the factory will start to produce the new system from week 46 (not 45 as previously rumored) and that all car scheduled for production in week 46 or later have been marked and will not be moved forward in the queue. In other words, if you have a production date after week 45 you're safe :)

I have also seen screenshots and the specifications of the system and it revealed some interesting information I didn't know before (valid for all series, not just the A5):
  • AMI and telephone integration is optional and not standard as some articles have stated. However, it also says that SIM card is standard. I don't know if this means that an internal SIM card is used for storing information or if is present but unusable until you get the telephone integration. I have requested more information.
  • Only MMI Navigation Plus will get the 800x480 resolution, the other options will have a 400x240 resolution. The standard Chorus radio in the Q5 will only have a 224x80 resolution (less than a typical cell phone!?)
  • The joystick is only available for MMI Navigation Plus. Lower systems will only have the rotary pushbutton as todays systems
  • DAB is also listed as optional
  • The nVidia graphics chip has 128MB of memory. This should really provide the screen with fast updates!
  • MMI Navigation Plus will have 2 SD/SD-HC card readers (!)
  • Directories or single tracks can be imported to the internal HD in the following formats: AAC, MP3 or WMA. Ripping tracks from CD is not supported
  • The CD player (on some systems) will play CD, MP3 and WMA. The DVD player will play all those plus AAC. Maximum supported bitrate was not mentioned unfortunately
  • In navigation mode, a split screen will show the next 3 turns (I must say that the screenshots of the split screen system looks really good :))
  • The 3G MMI system has lots of other features not mentioned here of course, these are only the ones I didn't know about and found worth mentioning
Some countries may include certain accessories as standard (for instance in Norway all A5s are sold with the S-Line sideskirts). As always, the specifications may change since they have not been made public by Audi yet. I'm only forwarding the information my Audi dealer gave me :)

Edit: More features I didn't know about:
  • The speech control system understands commands like "next filling station" as well as "navigate to John Doe" (John's address will be retrieved from the address book or the mobile phone directory)
  • The overlay splitscreen graphics are animated and come sliding in from the sides and out again when they are closed

·
Registered
536 Posts
Does this include US spec cars? Oh damn it, my S5 just came in... maybe I should cancel in wait again? Probably not, but I am still pissed that they didn't put it on from the start for the '09 model Audi cars.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
does this have both CD and DVD drive? Also Nav is HD based right?
MMI Navigation Plus is the only one that comes with a DVD drive and hard drive (40GB, about 10GB is available to you for storing music). The other systems are CD based. I guess the standard MMI Navigation package has the CD drive on the dashboard and the navigation DVD drive in the trunk like today, but I don't know that for sure.

For more general information about 3G MMI I suggest this article:
http://www.fourtitude.com/news/publish/Features/article_4301.shtml. My list is not a full feature list, they were only features that I haven't seen mentioned in this forum before.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does this include US spec cars?
I have no idea. If the US cars are produced at the same factory as mine will be it should apply to US cars as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My A5 arrived in Houston last week and right now is on a train to Colorado. Any chance existing MMI nav will be upgradeable to 3G?

·
Registered
314 Posts
My A5 arrived in Houston last week and right now is on a train to Colorado. Any chance existing MMI nav will be upgradeable to 3G?
All different hardware supposedly :mad:

·
Registered
384 Posts
No, unless it is possible to retrofit the unit. The hardware has changed.

I have a feeling they are updating Euro cars and I somehow don't think this will apply to American builds yet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any chance existing MMI nav will be upgradeable to 3G?
Probably not.

I have heard that Audi dealers wouldn't even retrofit a bluetooth telephone in a car which had GSM preparation installed. The owner ended up driving all the way from Norway to Germany to get hold of the parts and got a non-Audi workshop to do the job for him.

Replacing the MMI system is much more advanced than that. You will have to replace the screen, the computer, fit the HD, etc. Don't know if the new 3G MMI and the other chips and CPUs in the current A5 will work well together. It might even be a different communication interface for all we know.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sounds like we're up for a Norwegian A5 3G MMI meet :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
this sounds sick congrats to anyone getting one of these

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like we're up for a Norwegian A5 3G MMI meet :D
hehe yeah, let's have a 3G MMI LAN party and try to run Linux on the little thing :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
What week of build are we in right now?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Damnit I've got build week 45 :mad:
But my dealer confirmed it and said I would get 3G MMI... man I'll be really pissed if I get my car and one week later the 3G MMI will be available.

Why week 46 now! :(

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why week 46 now! :(
I just quoted my dealer, but he might be wrong. Maybe the new MMI is available from week 45 after all as many said on this forum.

If you have a written confirmation that your car will have the new MMI then you should be safe :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
3G MMI for US

Is anyone able to confirm the start of 3G MMI for US?

My car is scheduled for Jan 09

·
Registered
328 Posts
I just quoted my dealer, but he might be wrong. Maybe the new MMI is available from week 45 after all as many said on this forum.

If you have a written confirmation that your car will have the new MMI then you should be safe :)
Yea he wrote me an email telling me my car will get the 3G MMI... but it's not like we trust our dealers :rolleyes:

Damnit, I haven't been able to sleep this weekend... All you others, could you confirm if you've heard week 45 or 46 to help me sleep better :)

Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
how much better is it than an early 09 MMI? And I bet week 46 cars will get led tail lights too....I'm pissed now!

·
Registered
328 Posts
how much better is it than an early 09 MMI? And I bet week 46 cars will get led tail lights too....I'm pissed now!
What do you mean "better than an early 09 MMI"?
Oh I really hope I don't get the led tail lights... don't think they look good.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.