Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, been lurking in the forums for a while and I'm seriously considering purchasing a 2010 S5 in the US. I've searched the forums and haven't found the info I'm looking for so I'm hoping some experienced users can chime in!

Audio Inputs / Cables : I've read that there are several cables for porting audio into the MMI system. iPod, Mini-USB. Is there a 3.5mm stereo aux-in cable for other devices (I have a Kindle 2 and use the text-to-speech feature through the headphone jack in my existing car quite a bit...) Is the cable interface port in the glovebox the only way to access the auxiliary port? Can you have more than one cable hooked up at a time (so I wouldn't have to manually switch between iPod and a stereo cable...)

iPod Functionality : How does the 3G MMI access the iPod? I know in many current cars, their iPod "support" is limited to just scrolling through and playing off the Playlists. Can you navigate all of the metadata (Artist, Album, Songs, etc.?) Do you find it well thought-out or is it cumbersome to use?

USB Functionality : I love the idea of being able to put a good size HD in the glovebox and play all of my music off there. How do you access the data on it through the MMI? Is it via a folder hierarchy? Similar to my question on the iPod, do you find it easy to navigate?

Video Inputs : I've played around with Computers in my last couple of cars and loved the ability to display all of my tv shows, movies, music, etc. on the car's navigation screen. Is there a cable to bring video into the system and use the nav screen to display an external source?

Thanks for your time, really looking forward to hopefully picking up my new ride soon!

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

In answer to most of your questions - yes! See responses below:

Is there a 3.5mm stereo aux-in cable for other devices - YES

Is the cable interface port in the glovebox the only way to access the auxiliary port? - YES

Can you have more than one cable hooked up at a time - NO

Can you navigate all of the metadata (Artist, Album, Songs, etc.?) - I think so, Yes (but someone else will confirm)

Do you find it well thought-out or is it cumbersome to use? - Most folks have found it fine.

How do you access the data on it through the MMI? Is it via a folder hierarchy? - YES

Similar to my question on the iPod, do you find it easy to navigate? - Most have found it fine.

Is there a cable to bring video into the system and use the nav screen to display an external source? - You can transfer your files to a HD and use the Mini-USB or USB cable to stream video (in certain formats.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Zee,
Thanks so much for your quick response! Of course, your answers lead to more questions!

Is there a 3.5mm stereo aux-in cable for other devices - YES (Is this included with the car or a separate purchase through the dealer? Same goes for the mini-usb?)

Is the cable interface port in the glovebox the only way to access the auxiliary port? - YES

Can you have more than one cable hooked up at a time - NO

Can you navigate all of the metadata (Artist, Album, Songs, etc.?) - I think so, Yes (but someone else will confirm)

Do you find it well thought-out or is it cumbersome to use? - Most folks have found it fine.

How do you access the data on it through the MMI? Is it via a folder hierarchy? - YES

Similar to my question on the iPod, do you find it easy to navigate? - Most have found it fine.

Is there a cable to bring video into the system and use the nav screen to display an external source? - You can transfer your files to a HD and use the Mini-USB or USB cable to stream video (in certain formats.) (Can anyone elaborate on the formats supported? Divx? Xvid? MP4?)

Anyone ever try to pair more than one Bluetooth device at the same time?

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
The 3.5mm Jack is available as an option (like $50 here in the US). Some people have got multiple leads from their dealer when the car arrived, some none, some 1. Depends. I got the Ipod cable only. Other have had the USB or mini-USB and Ipod. Worth asking.

File Formats:

MMI 3G: MP3 (MPEG-1 Layer 3, MPEG-2 Layer 3), WMA files (Version 7, 8, 9), and AAC files (MPEG-4)
MMI Radio Plus: MP3 (MPEG-1 Layer 3, MPEG-2 Layer 3), WMA files (Version 7, 8, 9)
Radio Symphony: M3U, PLS, ASX, and WPL
Radio Concert: M3U, PLS, ASX, and WPL

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Video Inputs : I've played around with Computers in my last couple of cars and loved the ability to display all of my tv shows, movies, music, etc. on the car's navigation screen. Is there a cable to bring video into the system and use the nav screen to display an external source?

Thanks for your time, really looking forward to hopefully picking up my new ride soon!
Can I watch video/video files in an Audi? (A4 B8/A5/Q5/A6/A8/Q7)
http://a6retrofit.tripod.com/articles/audivideoplayback.html

·
Registered
26 Posts

I can confirm that you can navigate all of the metadata on the iPOD. Being a technical person I had no problem with the interface. As with all interfaces, once you use it a few times, get familiar, it's somewhat second nature. My wife is not very techinical, and she loves the interface on her A6....and hated the one on the Bimmer.

FYI, in the US, the S5 is delivered with with IPOD cable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts