Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With my front discs starting to look a bit tired I decided its time for a brake upgrade.

I recently bought some new 20inch rims and decided that I wanted some big brakes to fill up the wheels nicely so I went on the hunt for some SQ5 brakes.

The early SQ5 Bi-tdi(2012-16) and I believe the A8 of similar era had the same brakes. (2 piston sliding caliper and 380x36mm disc.)

I found a set of used SQ5 calipers, discs and dust shields at a reasonable price. The Calipers looked in good condition but the discs had a lot of rust on them so wasn't sure if they would be any good or not.

I got lucky. Got a colleague in the machine shop at work to check they were straight which they were and they cleaned up a treat. (£500 for a new pair)

Decided the calipers had to be red and obviously the SQ5 decals had to be changed. I used Redstuff pads courtesy of @ebcbrakes which I won. I've used these before and think they work really well and are a very low dust pad which I like as I like to keep my wheels clean.

It was an easy and straight swap even utilising the original brake hoses and bleeding was a doddle using a hand held vacuum pump.

I've not done enough mileage to fully test properly yet but I'm confident that they will be a big improvement over stock A5/S5 brakes over repeated high speed braking.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper

Before!
Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle brake Rim Gas

Automotive tire Blue Helmet Motor vehicle Automotive design

After!
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive tire Tire Watch Rim Wood

Comparison.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Locking hubs

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

Please keep the thread updated once you've had chance to bed the brakes in.(y)
So I was actually happy enough with the stock brakes performance (with redstuff pads) and have only really upgraded for aesthetics to fill the inside of the wheel a little more. my original front discs were ready and I though why not. I'm usually quite sympathetic on the car and I'll never track it but its nice to know they're there if needed.

I'm sure performance wise, the RS set-up is probably better but is also a lot more expensive (and I believe also requires a new master cylinder to work properly).

Oh and my original calipers with redstuff pads are available if anyone wants them?
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Crankset Tire Automotive tire Bicycle part Motor vehicle

·
Registered
Audi S5 sportback
323 Posts
Nice looking upgrade.

Are the larger calipers a straight plug 'n play swap?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are the larger calipers a straight plug 'n play swap?
Yes totally. Bolted straight on as did the backing plates.
The only small issue I had was getting the wheel back on. These things stick out much further and my front wheels touched the caliper. Luckily my rear wheels have a 5mm lower offset and did fit ok so I had to swap.
I think 19inch wheels would work but would say it probably depends on the wheel design. Spacers might be required.

·
Registered
Audi S5 Black Edition Mrc Stage 2
501 Posts
Yes totally. Bolted straight on as did the backing plates.
The only small issue I had was getting the wheel back on. These things stick out much further and my front wheels touched the caliper. Luckily my rear wheels have a 5mm lower offset and did fit ok so I had to swap.
I think 19inch wheels would work but would say it probably depends on the wheel design. Spacers might be required.
Joe just for reference what offset are the 20 ' wheels you have fitted?
I took the spacers off mine as a et26 offset seemed to push the wheels out far enough.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
looking good! Those discs do look good and if I'm not mistaken a floating disc. I think I can make out the pins from the hub into the disc? If so, no wonder they are £500! AND EBC don't sell them! :)

Compared to the S5 discs they look like they are off a train!! :D

Yeah that was just a bit of surface rust, no probs with them. They look like new discs!! It's any grooves and/or big lips on the discs that don't look good. I saw a complete set of RS discs and did contemplate it, but they were used and had lips on the discs, so stuck with the S5 EBC discs.

I've done about 250 miles now on my new brakes and the fronts are pretty much bed in with a nice shiny surface to the disc. The rears still need a bit more in and still some machining marks on them. Won't be long until I can to stage 2 bed in, then test them properly!

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's correct Dave, well spotted they are a floating disc. There was a small lip which I ground off with a flap disc on the grinder and some pitting which I rubbed down with various grits of wet and dry.
I would have turned them down on the lathe at work but they wouldn't fit on the bed. 🙄
They still measure 35mm and the minimum is 34 so they are halfway worn really but should still last a couple of years.
Oh and some anorak info, they weigh 13kg each, and the S5 discs weigh 10kg.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Ha ha, yeah, to lathe them discs, you need to be working at Alstom rolling stock or something. :)

Is the hub aluminium? Never seen those discs up close so always presumed they were a solid disc! :)

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is the hub aluminium? Never seen those discs up close so always presumed they were a solid disc!
Yes they are an aluminium centre. The ones I have are genuine Audi with the part number and 2016 date stamped on so I'm glad I could re-use as there aren't many aftermarket options but I've now found some Zimmerman for £400 on Autodoc so not horrendous and still much less than RS discs.
I think they were only used on the Sq5 3.0 bi-tdi and some A8 maybe S8 models hence why they are fairly rare to come across.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Blimey Joe they look like a VERY serious piece of kit!!!! You cannot have too much stopping power I agree!!

·
Registered
2011 Audi S5 Cabriolet
8 Posts
With my front discs starting to look a bit tired I decided its time for a brake upgrade.

I recently bought some new 20inch rims and decided that I wanted some big brakes to fill up the wheels nicely so I went on the hunt for some SQ5 brakes.

The early SQ5 (2012-13) and I believe the A8 of similar era had the same brakes. (2 piston sliding caliper and 380x36mm disc.)

I found a set of used SQ5 calipers, discs and dust shields at a reasonable price. The Calipers looked in good condition but the discs had a lot of rust on them so wasn't sure if they would be any good or not.

I got lucky. Got a colleague in the machine shop at work to check they were straight which they were and they cleaned up a treat. (£500 for a new pair)

Decided the calipers had to be red and obviously the SQ5 decals had to be changed. I used Redstuff pads courtesy of @ebcbrakes which I won. I've used these before and think they work really well and are a very low dust pad which I like as I like to keep my wheels clean.

It was an easy and straight swap even utilising the original brake hoses and bleeding was a doddle using a hand held vacuum pump.

I've not done enough mileage to fully test properly yet but I'm confident that they will be a big improvement over stock A5/S5 brakes over repeated high speed braking.

View attachment 180507
Before!
View attachment 180508

View attachment 180509
After!
View attachment 180511

View attachment 180513
Comparison.

View attachment 180515
Do you happen to have the part # for the SQ5 calipers? And would this same set up fit a 2011 S5 Cabrio? I currently have 20" rims with spacers

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you happen to have the part # for the SQ5 calipers? And would this same set up fit a 2011 S5 Cabrio? I currently have 20" rims with spacers
Hi, sorry I don't know the part numbers but the calipers were used on the Bi-tdi Sq5 up until 2016 I believe. Hope that helps.
As for fitting, my front wheels are 20x10 et 25 and fit fine. I'm sure with spacers you'll have no problems.

·
Registered
Audi S5 sportback
323 Posts
LLLParts

I think this page has the right part numbers, but I can't confirm for certain

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quick questions:
Did you weigh/compare the Calipers?
where did you get the S5 stickers..?
Thanks!
Yes I did weigh both calipers.
The stock S5 calipers with worn pads weighed 8.2 kg each.
The Sq5 calipers with brand new pads weighed 7.8 kg.
So around half a kilo lighter or 1pound depending what currency you use.
The stickers were only cheap from Amazon and still look great. (I did lacquer over them though).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.