Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, made a bit of a mistake and picked up some 20" alloys yesterday. Hoped they would replace my 18" stock alloys on my car.

Issue is that there is a massive gap. The offset on the new alloys is ET45 and the old is ET29.

I have seen some H&R Spacers which are 30mm which I am hoping will look pretty flush.

Anyone have any experience with these and should I be concerned about more wear.

Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
It is NOT going to cause any wear. You will be ET 15. Now the question is, what is the width of the new rims vs the stock? What size tire? Will they are stretch or square? Are you lowered?

I have 19x9.5 ET 40 with 20/25 spacers and 273/35 stock height. 255's they were stretched and I did not like it. 275 is square. In the rear, it is a hair past flush, the front a little more. I like it.

!!!!

*** Official B8 A5/S5/RS5 Aftermarket Wheel Gallery ***

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originals were 245
New with is 255

S line suspensions and its 4wd so same spacers all around.

·
Registered
553 Posts
You need same spacers all around to start with, majority of the people go with 40mm for the back and 30mm for the front, obviously depending on the wheels, just measure your gap from the wheel arch to your wheel and you will see whether 15mm will do the job, but I reckon it will still leave a bit of a gap which would be filled by the 20mm spacer

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Dumb question here guys, please be gentle cos I know zero about spacers:

1. Are spacers used just for cosmetics (filling the wheel arch) or do they make the car drive or track or corner better than standard?
2. Do they place more strain on the suspension and tend to wear things out faster?

Thanks.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Dumb question here guys, please be gentle cos I know zero about spacers:

1. Are spacers used just for cosmetics (filling the wheel arch) or do they make the car drive or track or corner better than standard?
2. Do they place more strain on the suspension and tend to wear things out faster?

Thanks.
About cosmetics it's obvious, I suspect most people go for spacers for the "stance" look and to achieve what they wish for since they won't buy wheels that fit right from the get go, or like the wheels but want a better fitment. Spacers is anyways a fairly cost effective way compared to new wheels.

They will change the track width and should improve the handling due to this, but whether you will notice this doing your weekly shopping I doubt, the Audi is somewhat dynamically hampered with the engine so far forward but yes, it will improve the handling.

The main thing with spacers and wear, you put a bigger strain on the wheel bearing. Personally think the usual 10-15mm is not really a big difference to an item that is a consumable/wearable anyways and I don't think increased bearing wear with a reasonably sized spacer should be your main (if any) consideration.

For the OP though. IMO all car manufacturers (some exotics excluded) give their cars what I call weak offsets out the door, and I can appreciate this is probably to meet world wide legislation. The A5 chassis is no different, and for normal sized wheels people often tend to go with a 15-20mm spacer combo, which IMO is on the big side of acceptable. But here you've already added 20mm by going for a new wheel with a 20mm weaker offset, and personally if you're staring down a 30-40mm spacer to fix your issue I think it's time to accept that the wheels just won't fit and get something that fits better.

Regards

Reactions: ApoK
1 - 9 of 9 Posts