Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Audi A5 3.2 FSI QUATTRO Tiptronic 2008 S-line
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have an Audi A5 2008 3.2 FSI QUATTRO Tiptronic with around 200 000 miles. I’ve just bought the car and I get around 13mpg (US) in the city. Mostly traffic, but in my opinion it is still horrible. I’m thinking about doing a carbon clean up, so I was wondering, what are you guys getting in mpg in the city? My urban is 33mpg. For the people that have done the carbon build up clean up, did your mpg improve? I’m also missing 3 out of 4 catalysts. No engine codes. Any info would be appreciated 🙏🏼

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have a 3.2L engine and watch the MPG :)...sorry these are the questions asked by the 1.8L owners ;)
So if your car averaged 5mpg you wouldn’t look into it just because it’s a V6 or a V8? It’s called taking care of you car if you think something’s wrong with it;)

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
Hey dont get upset mate!!! I had a 3.2 for a few years and loved her, I bought at 100k kms and sold at 200k with no major issues. I used her mainly on longer runs. U know that the auto box is a CVT so is not very efficient right?? If she does 33 on a run then the engine is fine, perhaps use a small car for your commutes??????

Reactions: sayek

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey dont get upset mate!!! I had a 3.2 for a few years and loved her, I bought at 100k kms and sold at 200k with no major issues. I used her mainly on longer runs. U know that the auto box is a CVT so is not very efficient right?? If she does 33 on a run then the engine is fine, perhaps use a small car for your commutes??????
No, mine is QUATTRO Tiptronic. Not Multitronic. Well I’m gonna get the carbon build up clean up next week, I’ll update you afterwards how it went:)

·
Registered
161 Posts
So if your car averaged 5mpg you wouldn’t look into it just because it’s a V6 or a V8? It’s called taking care of you car if you think something’s wrong with it;)
Pretty much yeah :).. I recall on my previous car BMW forums owners of M3 will be comparing how good their MPG is :)

I don't think I will get close to 20MPG on the London traffic with a 3.2L..it just over 20MPG with the 2L on traffic and short trips.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The MPG for the U.S.-spec 2008 A5 w/ 3.0 engine is 18 city / 27 highway. So your figures are a little low. Lots of things impact MPG. Sticky brakes. Air filter. Spark plug. Ignition coil. Fuel injector. Worn tranmission/torque converter. Clogged catalytic converter. (What do you mean by missing 3 out of 4 catalysts?)

If mpg on highway is fine, then I would look into the transmission first, since there's a lot more shifting and a lot more usage of the torque converter. For everything else mentioned earlier, the car would perform worse the harder you drive it.

No mpg improvement usually accompanies carbon clean. Carbon clean usually fixes misfires/rough idle at low rpms.

200K miles is really at the end of life for these cars. So the engine may just be worn out and not holding compression anymore. I remember reading a ZF manual somewhere that says the design life for their transmissions are only 100K kilometers / 60K miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts