Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Audi claim that the A5 3.0Ltdi engine does 0-62 in 5.8 secs. I am questioning this as the same engine in the Audi A4 does 0-62mph in 6.8 secs with only 7bhp in the difference. The A6 3.0tdi does it in 6.9 secs.

This time is only 0.5 secs slower than the RS4.

I drove the Audi A5 recently and it didn't feel as quick as above figures should.

Even comparing it with the BMW diesel engines which are normally slightly quicker given same bhp and torque. The 335d does 0-62 in 6.1 secs and has 286bhp - even though it is automatic it is hard to believe that the A5 is that much quicker with only 237bhp.

Can someone clear this up for me as I am considering buying an A5 and do not want to be duped on claimed performance figures.

·
Registered
66 Posts
dont forget the audi has really good 4 wheel drive and is much faster off the line where as all the torque in the beemer will just spin the wheels. and Audi will never fake figures, in fact they are quite well know not to and they often only publish figures that are much lower than in real life, they do not publish figures that are obtained via over reving, extreme gear changes leading to damage to the transmition and they also only publish figures obtained with the driver being a well built average man with kilograms and kilograms of luggage onboard as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Audi A5 0-62mph

thanks guys.

my mistake on rs4 figures, I meant S5 0-62mph in 5.3 secs.

I take your point on 4wd which would be quicker in everyday driving but taking that car companies will get their figures from perfect track days and the fact that audi's official figures give the 3.0tdi engine the same time in 4wd and 2wd.

I don't see how a 7bhp difference can make a 1 second difference in times. Given that there is no real difference in weight between A4 and A5 and torque is only up slighty also.

Maybe there has been a new development on this engine that I am not aware of or Audi has just made a mistake as it does say on the new A5 brochure that all figures are subject to change

·
Registered
13 Posts
dont forget the new spaceframe and all the work that audi has done to shift the weight from the nose may have some effect on the performance

·
Registered
39 Posts
check the gear ratios as well i believe they are different
Tony's right, I think the gear ratios are closer together on the A5, I believe 6th tops out at 140mph or 130 MPH the other cars top out closer to 200

·
Registered
84 Posts
0-60 etc

Yo all...

I currently drive a WRX STI PPP (about 330 BHP). The book value with the PPP pack is 0-60 in 4.8 seconds. However I am told that this is achieved by the Prodrive company (who make PPP) by ragging it to bits on the test track - high revs etc etc ... I am sure in real world conditions I would not achieve that time.... The STI is going to be used by the wife ....

I get the A5 3.0 TDI in a month or two. I am sure that straight line performace from scratch will not compete with the STI. However it is of course a different type of car. However, I will not be at all surprised if I find that the A5 in real world situation once rolling would give my STI a real run for its money ....

As for quoted times - I think it is all relative. You can not magic a one second reduction from a 7 BPH increase. But it will depend how its measured and in real world conditions I think it depends so much on the driver (to get a good launch) that the 'once rolling' time is better. I then think the torque of the 3.0 TDI is going to put as big a smile on my face as the STI - well I hope so !

cheers

Mark

·
Registered
44 Posts
Check your figures
I think that the correct timing from Audi is 5.1 sec to 100Kph, or 5.0 sec to 60Mph
They're talking about the A5 3.0TDi, not the S5 4.2V8. The A5 does 0-60mph in 5.8 seconds.

Don't forget that the A5 has better aerodynamics than the A4, the new Quattro set-up and more torque. I've driving both the A5 and the S5. There's a noticeable difference in the acceleration of the two with the S5 feeling much faster. It is hard to believe that the A5 is only .5 of a second slower, but the mad thing is... it is!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts