Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at purchasing an A5 and I am weighing up the pro's and cons of the 2007/2008 3.0 Tdi vs 2008 /09 2.0T (210). I have started covering more miles with work (90% motorway) and looking at the Mpg stats from various sources. Autotrader quote:

2.0T 210
Fuel consumption (urban) 31.4 mpg
Fuel consumption (extra urban) 54.3 mpg
Fuel consumption (combined) 42.8 mpg

and

3.0 Tdi

Fuel consumption (urban) 32.1 mpg
Fuel consumption (extra urban) 53.3 mpg

How does this compare to what you guys are actually getting? Any feedback greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
4,577 Posts
the figures you mention are abviously from the brochure.
you will have to take them down by 20-30%.
2.0 TFSI a bit more than 3.0 TDI.

are wel talking about us/mpg or uk/mpg ??

btw: there are ample topics about fuel-consumption :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
The only way you'd get 31.4mpg around town from a 2.0T would be pushing it a third of the way in my experience :laughinatabove: The DIS on mine was showing 24.3mpg when I got rid of it and thats mostly urban driving. My old 3.2 was only about 1-2mpg worse.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Where are you based? In the UK Diesel is a bit of a rip off, but in Europe it's a steal, for example.

Can't speak for real world figures in either but I'd nominate the V6 depending on the difference in the price of the vehicles!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've been recording my consumption since the car was new for interest purposes (Road Trip iPhone App)-

12218 Miles at last fill with an average of 35.35 Mpg. 18.6p per mile.

A lot of my miles is short trips of around 20 miles on the motorway with the remainder being a regular 110 mile trip twice a week.

I use TOTAL Excillium Diesel (I work for the company so it attracts a discount) but I have also used Shell V-Power Diesel. I tired Shell Fuel Save but the car didn't seem to run as well. I don't think I see any more Mpg from the premium diesel though.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
My commute driving is very consistent and is urban-biased combined. I average 35mpg (DIS). I usually get 42-44mpg on a motorway run, and have averaged as much as 49mpg on a granny-esque trip before. My DIS has never been lower than 34mpg or higher than 42mpg averaged over a whole tank. I would estimate from previous calculations that my DIS is about 1.5mpg optimistic.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just refilled today and I got 18 mpg <-> 13l/100km on mine. This is with the aux heater constantly on and often on 10-15 minutes before I start driving, a lot of snow drifting w/o ESP :D , heavy accelerating start stop traffic 5 mile drive each morning/afternoon. -10 C / 14 F outside temp.

I get 43 mpg driving on long runs.

·
Registered
637 Posts
2.0T 210
Fuel consumption (urban) 31.4 mpg
Fuel consumption (extra urban) 54.3 mpg

Last time I looked on dis I think it was 28.
You might achieve the above driving very steady after removing the
Doors,seats,body panels,bumpers.boot lid and bonnet but I wouldn't advise it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have to agree with Cupramax & LogosGil; had my 2.0T over 3 years and averaging about 28mpg. I do a lot of short stop/start commuter driving though & you do get a lot better on long motorway journeys - probably 35mpg+. You seem to get more mpg the faster you go!! Great engine though and the way diesel is going up petrol is looking the way to go.

If your after a 2nd hand 2.0T (211) the one detailed below is going up for sale in the next week or so.

·
Banned
1,802 Posts
i was getting 38mpg with my 3.0tdi;
Remember with the 3.0tdi it is quattro, if you get a 2.0T in quattro then figure will be lower still

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2008 3.0 TDI and am getting around 42 to the gallon. 30 mile round trip on a 50/50 mix of urban roads and motorway. Driving at a moderate pace. I have to say consumption seems very reasonable for a 3 litre engine. Quattro + extra torque are a real bonus.

Good luck what ever you choose.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
These figures for a 3.0Tdi Quattro are about right in my experience. Circa 40mpg +/- 3 in normal driving.. Had high 40's and low thirties omn very rare occasions.

Just back from France where Diesel worked out at £1.16 a Litre ... Yippeee.

Cheers

RG

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
These figures for a 3.0Tdi Quattro are about right in my experience. Circa 40mpg +/- 3 in normal driving.. Had high 40's and low thirties omn very rare occasions.

Just back from France where Diesel worked out at £1.16 a Litre ... Yippeee.

Cheers

RG
Welcome back m8 - straight into the petrol- diesel debate again...:)
I've got you down for Dannyboy's Ibis RS5 although you might want to re-think given he's stripping it at Santa Pod today....

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Welcome back m8 - straight into the petrol- diesel debate again...:)
I've got you down for Dannyboy's Ibis RS5 although you might want to re-think given he's stripping it at Santa Pod today....
Hi M33... Think I might just wait for an RS4 Avant in Phantom Black.... unless the big Diesel motor gets and airing in the 4/5.

Cheers

RG

1 - 15 of 15 Posts