Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'M Interested in a A5 cab in a few months or so,wanted know a bit about the difference's.
2104 onwards only.

mpg 2.0 vs 3.0 Tdi quattro ? ii have heard there is no difference in mpg between the two ?

reliability of the auto/s-tronic box ?..........even read people have had issues after a gearbox service from audi !

are they all multi-tronic.....unless its a quattro .then its s-tronic if im right ?

how reliable is the 3.0 tdi engine?

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
You godda be joking right???? Have a good search and read on here and you will find your answer. The 3.0 diesel is one of the bext engines ever and is so strong that you can tune them to over 500 horses, as I remember, see Bobby Singh and his threads. This engine will cover BIG mileages without using oil, 500k kms easy.

The 2 litre is surely an excellent engine too but as the A5 is a fairly large and heavy car then in the A5, imho, the 3 litre wins hands down. For me a large engine working gently is always better than a smaller engine working harder.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys..... I've read stories about people saying it's common for the tensioners to fail..... Costing £1000's
Also what about mpg compared to the 2.0?
Wat about gearbox?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The 3.0 doesn't have any tensioner issues on it's timing chains - ensure regular servicing is done. I think the 2.0 has a belt.

As Simon says, the 3.0 is better suited and some say the 2.0 is underpowered for the heavy cab. The cab weighs around 200kgs more than the coupe! So you will have to press the 2.0 more than the 3.0, which will even out the mpg differences. The power from the 3.0 more makes up for the lesser mpg.

A 2014 model will have the 3rd gen more reliable S-tronic DSG box in Quattro form.

1 important note is around 2012, Audi introduced a low tax band 3.0 to replace the old 2.7 v6 with 204bhp and front wheel drive only, fitted with the 8 speed multi-tronic. This model, I wouldn't bother with. You may as well go for the 2.0 which will be about 170bhp. The front wheel drive 2.0 will also be the 8sp multi-tronic. The multi can have it's little niggles, but usually bad servicing or incorrect oil levels can be the cause.

In my opinion, spend the extra £1-2k and get the full fat 3.0 245bhp version as this will suit the sports cab and will come with the sure footed Quattro and acclaimed DSG box!

I had a 3.0tdi on an 09 plate remapped to 310bhp and 480lb/ft. Tax bands have also been reduce on the diesels.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks mate, definitely interested in the 245bhp quattro..... On Facebook on the owner clubs people were saying about tensioners working off oil pressure going wrong, and start rattling and gearbox issues on s tronics, so thought I'd ask here, thanks very much for the help and advice.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Yep most oil pressurised tensioner give issues when servicing is skimped on. I always did an oil flush when mine had an oil service and at around 8k miles.
Give the history a good check, especially if it is high mileage.
Note 2014 on cars don't have service history books! It's done online with Audi. So if it hasn't been serviced at Audi or an Independant that doesn't have access to Audi's My Service, check for service receipts! Audi should still give them too!

Stronic issues are usually the early cars 2010-2012/13, but the issues are normally rectified with revised parts, so you should be good, unless really low mileage and not had the upgrades. But 2014 on you should be good.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep most oil pressurised tensioner give issues when servicing is skimped on. I always did an oil flush when mine had an oil service and at around 8k miles.
Give the history a good check, especially if it is high mileage.
Note 2014 on cars don't have service history books! It's done online with Audi. So if it hasn't been serviced at Audi or an Independant that doesn't have access to Audi's My Service, check for service receipts! Audi should still give them too!

Stronic issues are usually the early cars 2010-2012/13, but the issues are normally rectified with revised parts, so you should be good, unless really low mileage and not had the upgrades. But 2014 on you should be good.
mate,thanks very much for the advice,i will be looking into a 2014 onwards,and i think a maximum of 70k mileage wise.
and yes,i do normally flush my 2.0 tdi A5 before i change oil,and i use the genuine stuff and filters from tps,i service mine every 5k.........do about 6 k a year.
good shout about the service books,so thanks again.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Can you still get parts from TPS as last time I phoned them, they said no more public sales! :( But if you know someone in the trade, then can get parts through them.

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Good solid detailed help from Dave as usual!!! And it is only really basic common sense that says a larger engine in a fairly lazy tune is gonna be less stressed than a smaller one tuned up higher, I think.

·
Registered
302 Posts
what about the timing of chain stretch in the 3. 0Tdi? when I was looking at Q5's I ran across comments that they usually need replacement around 100k miles and it's very expensive because it's in the back and you have to practically take the engine out to do it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Good question, no idea on that one, some experts will be along soon......

·
Sponsor
2,365 Posts
what about the timing of chain stretch in the 3. 0Tdi? when I was looking at Q5's I ran across comments that they usually need replacement around 100k miles and it's very expensive because it's in the back and you have to practically take the engine out to do it.

If treated badly they start to rattle around 100,000 miles. Otherwise, I know of a couple doing 200,000 or more with the original chain.

As for replacing the chain, yeah it's unfortunately an engine out job, probably a minimum of £2,000 to do.

Good quality oil and plenty of it will keep the chain good.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

I haven't heard timing chain as a common issue. Some engines are more susceptible to bad servicing and give issues. I have seen first hand chain stretch and rattling in a VW 2.0, but the oil drained out was like a thick gravy showing the servicing had been neglected.

My A5 3.0tdi was on 115k miles when I sold it and and not a bit of rattle or any indication on the chains having any issues. :)

Engine chains are generally like a dog, for life, not just for Christmas and until the first service or extended drain intervals! :)

Some engine have known issues, than 'can' give issues, like the 2.0 VAG engine and the BMW 2.0 diesel, N47 I think.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just thought i'd add my 0.2p.

I have a 2009 3.0tdi. It has a tiptronic box (they are bomb proof really). I've put 55k (23 to 78k) on it in 3 years. Never missed a beat. A very reliable engine.
As with most cars - follow the service routine. I've always changed the oil when required and used the high grade fully synthetic (Castrol edge for this car or mobil 1 if not available).

No chain tension issues (touch wood).

The bugger runs so well i cant part with it yet and get a new car (i really really can't justify buying another yet. Its still held together well and drives like a car much less than 10 years old!).

On a side note - i also had a 2.7tdi with the multitronic. I must be one of the few who really liked that gearbox! Always changed the gearbox oil at 30k and never had an issue with it. Smooth and effortless.
The 3.0tdi with trip or s-tronic has a bit more grunt though.

Summary - 'nowt wrong with the 2.0tdi. I prefer the 3.0tdi as it has more grunt, sounds smoother and still returns 45mpg plus on a nice steady 70mph run. Just make sure it has a good service history before buying.
And if it were me, i'd change the oil once bought. No matter what the last owner says. But i'm like that.
Buy the 3.0tdi. You'll always want it once you've got the 2.0tdi.

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Savs, wise words. I had the multitronic on my A5 and I covered about 100k kms with no gearbox problems. She was very sensitive to the gearbox oil level and even 100mL made a difference to the smoothness of the change, otherwise handled the sometimes rough right foot treatment with ease.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just thought i'd add my 0.2p.

I have a 2009 3.0tdi. It has a tiptronic box (they are bomb proof really). I've put 55k (23 to 78k) on it in 3 years. Never missed a beat. A very reliable engine.
As with most cars - follow the service routine. I've always changed the oil when required and used the high grade fully synthetic (Castrol edge for this car or mobil 1 if not available).

No chain tension issues (touch wood).

The bugger runs so well i cant part with it yet and get a new car (i really really can't justify buying another yet. Its still held together well and drives like a car much less than 10 years old!).

On a side note - i also had a 2.7tdi with the multitronic. I must be one of the few who really liked that gearbox! Always changed the gearbox oil at 30k and never had an issue with it. Smooth and effortless.
The 3.0tdi with trip or s-tronic has a bit more grunt though.

Summary - 'nowt wrong with the 2.0tdi. I prefer the 3.0tdi as it has more grunt, sounds smoother and still returns 45mpg plus on a nice steady 70mph run. Just make sure it has a good service history before buying.
And if it were me, i'd change the oil once bought. No matter what the last owner says. But i'm like that.
Buy the 3.0tdi. You'll always want it once you've got the 2.0tdi.
thanks very much,as engine oil go's i always change when i get a car too,just like to make sure its the right oil,and never hurt to change it sooner than later anyway.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i know s-tronic (gearbox) is serviced every 38k with filter ,can i do this myself or is it a complicated procedure?

·
Registered
302 Posts
you can DIY. there are plenty of instructions and videos online.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts