Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, had my 3.0 TDI for 7 years now, she's got 114k on the clock.

I change my own oil and filters religiously every 6k miles (buy from the refinery outlets so get 20 litre cans cheap, always 5w30 Synthetic Low Saps).

Never had to top up oil, check regularly but she just never burnt any.

Driving home tonight and I could swear I smelt a little exhaust inside the car, thought it might be car in front but even when I was on the road without cars in front I could swear I could smell a little in the way of exhaust fumes.

Couple of minutes later, oil advisory came on, "Top up oil, 1.25L max, no need to stop driving". (or words to that effect).

After examining under the hood a little all looks in order except a little oil around the air box exit (see images below), any ideas?

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Automotive tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design
Leg Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas
Leg Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Headgear

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Mate is the oil that you purchase also VAG approved???? Just a thought.....

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Mate is the oil that you purchase also VAG approved???? Just a thought.....
Yeah, I checked when I first started buying it back in 2014, initially I used 502 spec as I change oil every 5-6k. In recent years I started using VW 504.00/507.00 fully approved, honestly though it's waste to use long life with such a short change interval but I'd like to get as many miles on the clock as possible before I need the timing chains changing.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems ok since a small top up. Working from home this next couple of weeks, will do a full oil, oil/air filter change in a few days and also I think my cabin air filter (pollen filter) is LONG overdue replacing and it's a cheap one. I'll put a proper Bosch activated carbon one in.

Reactions: MrFergus
1 - 4 of 4 Posts