Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my A5 in August 07 so the road tax is due soon.

Audi declared the 3.0 TDi as doing 191 g/km CO2 so it's taxed as Band F £210pa, yet the Government's VCA website says the output is 172g/km, making it Band E and £170 (link below).

I've asked Audi UK to confirm which is correct, or if the output has in fact improved since the earlier cars? I'll post their reply.

£40 isn't the issue, but overpaying the government certainly is.

http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/vehicleDetails.asp?id=21111

http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/vedSearch.asp

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
IIRC, the CO2 output on 2009 models is lower than 2008. So, that may be where you are getting conflicting data from.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The actual CO2 figure for your car will be shown on the V5 log book and it's this figure that will dictate the level of car tax paid.

I'm sure DD is correct and yours will show 191g

·
Registered
479 Posts
Audi declared the 3.0 TDi as doing 191 g/km CO2 so it's taxed as Band F £210pa, yet the Government's VCA website says the output is 172g/km, making it Band E and £170 (link below).
Your car will be 191g/km. The earlier ones were. It is the 2009 model year that have the lower emmissions.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for clarifying. The lower emissions makes this engine even more impressive.

·
Registered
159 Posts
So is there a difference between older 3.0TDI's and the lastest model in terms of performance figures? Is it just a different map, or hardware?

Simon

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I think the difference is solely better economy, from memory one of the figures jumps from 49 to 52 mpg. + of course the CO2 drop. Fortunately mine was built nid September and is low CO2.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I bought my A5 in August 07 so the road tax is due soon.

I've asked Audi UK to confirm which is correct, or if the output has in fact improved since the earlier cars? I'll post their reply.

£40 isn't the issue, but overpaying the government certainly is.

http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/se...ww.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/search/vedSearch.asp
If you got your car in August 2007 the road tax would have been due on 31st July 2008 !

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The official performance figures and fuel economy has never varied while the g/km changed. On the other hand, Jenbutmad's rolling road results (thread somewhere) suggests the bhp output is around 30 bhp higher than the official figure :confused: Cunning these Audi folk.

If you got your car in August 2007 the road tax would have been due on 31st July 2008 !
You're not wrong... thread started 8th July.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Does anyone know what the change is to attain the lower CO2 figures? Is it a new engine mapping or different partical filter system?

Simon

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I asked this question and was advised that it was a re-map. Stange you get extra BHP as well though!!

BTW Nike. If a car is purchased in August the tax may not be due until end of August. Latest DVLA scheme allows new car buyers to ad +1 +2 or +3 weeks to the first 12 months reg figure. Of course the car could only have been taxed for 6 months !!

Cheers
RG

·
Registered
159 Posts
These are the specs from Audi for a 3.0TDI Quattro 6-Speed Manual:

C02 Urban Extra Urban Combined
191 28.5 (9.9) 49.6 (5.7) 39.2 (7.2) 2007 model
172 32.1 (8.8) 53.3 (5.3) 42.8 (6.6) - current

Both of the above are stated as 240PS, so no change there, but as others have said, quite an increase in fuel efficiency. If Audi have made the car more efficient for the latest models, why not offer the update to existing cars, assuming its just software?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SBJ

You make a good point about Audi not offering the more fuel efficient remap for 2007 models. I'll ask.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts