Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gents,

Recently been covering 400 miles a week thanks to work. I'm used to about 400 a month lol so I have been practicing Hypermiling to save fuel.
I figured out that i get 360 miles on average from a tank of shell saver fuel. and 400 average on V-power.

I wanted to ask fellow 3.0 TDI owners what experiences they have had when conserving fuel? I bought the car for a nice MPG and power factors. So i would drive a mix of economy and sport on my average month getting 320 miles on a tank of vpower so on the work commute i drive efficiently and on the evenings when out or when on some nice back roads let her rip without too much worry for my MPG. still the car achieves the 320 mile figure per tank of vpower.

So seeing as this month and next month I have considerable distance and 3-4 fillups a month currently I wanted to know if anyone has the answers or any tips?

I seem to get 45mpg doing 70 on the motorway. I have achieved seriously good mpg up to 60-70 ish when i went on a road trip to lake district driving so softly but thats a good 6 hour drive.
I get 45mpg in my hour drive every morning and evening. theirs other short trips that seem to be draining the tank.

Whats the most efficient speed to travel in a 3.0 tdi? 80. 70. 60? I dont mind reducing speed to save cost as i have a large amount of free time in the morning plus I like being inside the car lol so no worries with time.
Any tips to reduce fuel? I have cruise but no ADS

·
Sponsor
2,383 Posts
Just here to flex

Nah. Drafting (sensibly, 3+ car lengths behind) helps a huge amount. I also used cruises control set to 65, which I'd turn on and then release. Switching back on once I reach 50mph. (Do not do this if you're disturbing other cars, it's annoying and potentially dangerous to other cars).

Trash the spare wheel, empty car of everything you can. Add 2-3 psi to your tyres. Slow down early. Drill into your head that brakes waste fuel, not the accelerator. Use lane of least resistance.

There's plenty of info out there on hypermiling, though nothing specific to any car really.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Some impressive eco numbers, I could possibly nudge 40 mpg in mine after all the mods, but recently I'm struggling to get past 25 mpg, though it is mostly town driving and the engine doesn't seem particularly frugal around town tbh. But it also wonder whether my intake valves or flaps are starting to coke up affecting economy

Regards

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder what mods would improve the mpg? like better filters? idk

·
Sponsor
2,383 Posts
I wonder what mods would improve the mpg? like better filters? idk
Improved airflow, good oil, quality tyres will help.
If you want to go extreme, smaller alloys, block your radiator/grill partially, electric preheater for oil/coolant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts