Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem a daft question, but every time I start my car I get a real eggy smell in the cabin. Is this unique to the deisel? What causes it? (no funny replies about watching my diet ;) )

·
Registered
821 Posts
Well that is certainly a new one for me.... never heard of it myself, have you got any jealous neighbours ???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha! Yes that could be the answer! I took a lovely girl from work out today in it and it was quite embarrasing when she got a whiff!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
This may seem a daft question, but every time I start my car I get a real eggy smell in the cabin. Is this unique to the deisel? What causes it? (no funny replies about watching my diet ;) )
New one on me as well....

The only thing I think it could be, is your air-con!!!

Quite often if the aircon has been run hard and then switched off, the condensation collects and can then go "Stale" which can cause an unpleasant smell....

Normally you could clear this, by running the aircon for a bit and then turning the heater on to dry it out.... (well that used to work in my A4 and it used to get a bit whiffy sometimes)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Laingy

Catalytic converters often give off an eggy smell. Don't know the reason for this but I've noticed it when I've been behind other cars in traffic with my air vents open etc.

Is it definitely coming from your car ? or could it be from vehicles around you ? - try leaving the air vents closed and see if it's the same. If it is still there then I suggest that you get it checked out as it could be that your exhaust gases are entering the vehicle somewhere ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
You just reminded me of something else......

Haven't the A5s got a special filter for burning off additional pollutants. When the filter gets full, the filter gets heated up to a high temperature by the exhaust and burns them off (or something like that). happens every *000 miles or so...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Could be the DPF (diesel particulate filter) mine does it now and again,I can tell by the boost gauge/engine speed when it's cleaning itself.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys know your stuff. Yes its defo my car as it happened today on start up and drive off without any other cars around.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have never noticed an eggy smell from my A5. I get the occassional exhaust waff that smells more like a central heating boiler exhaust.

As for the air con smell, I was informed this is normally caused by bacterial buildup in the air con system. I used to get it on my old car but I would describe it as more of a musty 'damp dog' kind of smell. You can buy cleaners that get rid of it, just switch on your air con, put the can in the footwell, press the release and stand back!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
The definitive answer...

The 'Eggy' smell you are getting is common to all cars with catalytic converters. When cold the 'Cat' doesn't work very well, so sulphur, which is present in diesel fuel (less in low sulphur fuels!) is released from the exhaust for a minute or so in the form of smelly sulphur oxides (SOx).

I would be a little concerned, not about the smell, but why is it getting into the cabin?

...Try changing your fuel type (brand/low sulphur) to see if it makes a difference (it'll take a tank or two to really show any difference due to m ixing).

Cheers!

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
If I had bought the car in France it would have gone back to the dealer stating 'un oeuf is un ouef'

TT
RG:D:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts