Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So gents, I finally gave my car to @bobby singh and Its completely different car. Loving it.

My Disks are warped and the stock breaks are even less man to handle the breaking with the newfound power.
I was thinking S5 breaks and disks. Has anyone done this on the B8.5 cars? and is there anything I need to know?

If I'm correct the front calipers and disks are a straight swap. but the back ones are more complicated?

Also, do I need to upgrade lines etc? any light on this would be appreciated.

I couldn't find any facelift cars running S5 breaks on here sorry if I missed an old thread.

Cheers Gents!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I upgraded mine (B8 but fairly sure 8.5 is the same) to rhe S5 vented & grooved discs + S5 calipers after I had my BSR remap as I needed proper stopping power at 333 bhp, but I only upgraded the front discs & calipers (couldn't find hangers on their own) as the rears only handle up-to about 40% of the braking but I did upgrade to ceramic pads all round- the Hawks are amazing.
I also put HEL steel brake lines on the fronts when I did them and I actually had one blow from an emergency stop recently- they said they'd never heard of this happening before- but as they carry a lifetime warranty it was replaced straight away, so I'd recommend doing this as it gives a far firmer feel and is able to handle more.

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gents,

Will look into finding someone breaking one and I will take the bits.
Probably worth panting them before installing.....

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I upgraded mine (B8 but fairly sure 8.5 is the same) to rhe S5 vented & grooved discs + S5 calipers after I had my BSR remap as I needed proper stopping power at 333 bhp, but I only upgraded the front discs & calipers (couldn't find hangers on their own) as the rears only handle up-to about 40% of the braking but I did upgrade to ceramic pads all round- the Hawks are amazing.
I also put HEL steel brake lines on the fronts when I did them and I actually had one blow from an emergency stop recently- they said they'd never heard of this happening before- but as they carry a lifetime warranty it was replaced straight away, so I'd recommend doing this as it gives a far firmer feel and is able to handle more.
got a link for the break lines??

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yes, I painted mine first too!
Here's the HEL website (they are made in the UK):
If you speak to the manufacturers direct (and not an agent), Ben Whatmore is super helpful. (y)

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
As said, you need the front carriers to fit the S5 345mm discs, the carriers are expensive, but the discs are cheaper than the 320mm 3.0tdi discs!? As Pulsar said, it may be easier to get S5 calipers and carriers.

The rears you do need the calipers and carriers as the rear disc is vented so a lot thicker and 330mm.

Or upgrade the stock 320mm discs with Brembo xtra or EBC plus pads. I had my 3.0tdi remapped too and had std discs and red stuff pads with no stopping issues.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As said, you need the front carriers to fit the S5 345mm discs, the carriers are expensive, but the discs are cheaper than the 320mm 3.0tdi discs!? As Pulsar said, it may be easier to get S5 calipers and carriers.

The rears you do need the calipers and carriers as the rear disc is vented so a lot thicker and 330mm.

Or upgrade the stock 320mm discs with Brembo xtra or EBC plus pads. I had my 3.0tdi remapped too and had std discs and red stuff pads with no stopping issues.
Cheers Dave,

I plan on finding a breaking S5 so I can hopefully work a decent deal out if I come and remove the parts I need. I just wanted to make sure I don't miss anything.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good morning Gents,

gents, I will be collecting my new breaks the weekend,
How comes my calipers seem different? I thought they were the same but there aesthetically different

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just got some pics of the ones he's selling.... Disks need replacing so I'm not sure if this is such a good deal.
I wanted to ask before what other options for brake kits are there or are they all overly expensive options

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check autodoc, I'm pretty sure they have some carriers for the b8 S4 which should be the same as s5 b8 but I'd check before you go any further.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Check autodoc, I'm pretty sure they have some carriers for the b8 S4 which should be the same as s5 b8 but I'd check before you go any further.
Yeah looking on autodoc the price I got the whole set for is cheaper per carrier. plus I get some decent disks with them..... Looks like its happening then!

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
I find the Autodoc site very helpful (they answer questions too!!) and the prices and selection is great too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts