Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Keeping this away from the main thread as its to do with getting there and those going up on the Friday who may want to meet at various points on the way through. So chip in if you are driving up and want to meet up on the way.

Those of us in North Suffolk/Norfolk really only have one way to leave Norfolk (via Kings Lynn) and then diagonally across the country from there. There are a couple of different ways to go once we pass Newark so I will post a proposed route and if anyone has any suggestions on alternatives or meet up points then please fire away.

Route 1: (broken up to show various potential meet points)

Lowestoft - Norwich A146/A143
Norwich - Kings Lynn A47
Kings Lynn - Newark A17
Newark - Worksop - Sheffield
Sheffield to Manchester via A57 Snake Pass
Manchester (on the M61) - Preston up the M6 and then A591 to Windermere

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&saddr=NR33+8US&daddr=A57+to:A57+to:A57%2FWorksop+Rd+to:53.350551,-1.369171+to:A57%2FSnake+Rd+to:glossop+to:windermere&hl=en&geocode=%3BFaQwLQMdtBHv_w%3BFZJlLQMdNJzu_w%3BFWjkLQMd9NLt_w%3B%3BFfuHLgMdel3l_w%3B%3B&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=4&sz=10&via=1,2,3,4,5&sll=53.48968,-1.259308&sspn=0.729635,2.110748&ie=UTF8&ll=53.367762,-1.533966&spn=0.731731,2.110748&z=10

Route 1 allows us to travel via snake pass.

Its a 6 hour 30 minute drive according to Google. 5 hours 15 minutes according to Autoroute. So, I would expect a morning start and quite a few Tea and Pee stops.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I didn't see this one dd !!!!!

I'll reply on a bit :)

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Whilst I wouldn't normally travel that way to get to the Lake District from Doncaster, Mrs REB fancies the drive via the Snake Pass.

So can we come up with a suitable meet time, +/- some minutes to allow for traffic - of which there will be lots? I would like to make it early afternoon - say 1:00pm (or earlier) - in order to avoid some of the chaos that will be the Manchester motorway system during rush hour.

There's a large(ish) car park at the end of Lady Bower Reservoir that could be used as a meeting point and there are loos for those that need them.

See the attached map. The car park is just off the A57 so not out of the way. We used it as a stopping point during the Buxton meet back in May.

I would suggest compiling a list of those going via this route and an exchange of mobile numbers so that we can keep each other updated with progress (or lack thereof).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We need to compile a list of mobiles and where you are likely to meet up with that route (or proposed alternative in case anyone has a better option).

Whilst I wouldn't normally travel that way to get to the Lake District from Doncaster, Mrs REB fancies the drive via the Snake Pass.
Nor would we but it doesnt add much to the journey time and it breaks up the dual carriageway/motorway monotony.

Any meeting up point should include a food/drink place as its easier for those waiting to have a tea/pee stop whilst they wait.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
How about The Snake Pass Inn then - it's a little bit further along the A57 towards Manchester.

If we can agree a meeting time etc then I'm up for it. Both Mrs REB and I are off on Friday so can leave Doncaster at any time to suit.

We need to get this sorted sooner rather than later or it won't happen. :(

If anyone wants my mobile number, PM me with yours.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Looks a great route to me.....

What time for Norwich Meet-up do you think then dd ??

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Any meet points nearer m6:confused:
Chunkstar, how about the Lancashire Services between J32 and J33 on the M6.

It's less than 40 miles from the final destination (would make a good film title that :D) but it appears to be the only services north of the M61 - which is where those from Norfolk as well as myself will be joining the M6.

Unless you have any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
To be honest I'm not sure yet. The Norfolk guys have yet to decide what time they are leaving (or even who is going - sorry Robb).

I am planning on getting to The Snake Pass Inn for about 12:30-1:00pm for some lunch and then move on from there.

It's about 70 miles from there to the M6 services and Google reckons it will take about 1hr15 but allowing for Friday afternoon traffic, I reckon it will be nearer 1hr30 1hr45.

Of course until we know what time we leave the Snake Pass Inn, we won't know what time we will get to the Lancashire Services.

I suppose the Snake Pass Inn is too far out of your way? Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We will be leaving in the morning. I am thinking around 9.30am. On an assumption of one stop prior to getting to snake pass, we should hit the A57 at around 1.30 pm.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Is that 9:30 at Norwich dd or the time your leaving Yours

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is that 9:30 at Norwich dd or the time your leaving Yours
9.30 from Lowestoft. Should hit Norwich around 10.15. Do you want to meet up west of Norwich? that way I can go straight on to the ring road and save some time.

·
Registered
821 Posts
9.30 from Lowestoft. Should hit Norwich around 10.15. Do you want to meet up west of Norwich? that way I can go straight on to the ring road and save some time.
Sounds fine dave..... Give me a call when your 5 mins from joining the A47 and i'll swing on from the Trowse Junction :D

·
Registered
821 Posts
Damnit, almost exactly a day before I will be there! :D
We will be thinking of you on Saturday.... Well maybe not :D

Keep us updated on how you get on !!!!!

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
OK Norfolk Guys, based on DD's 09:30 departure time from his home and without more than a fleeting stop on the Norwich ring road, using Google and some guesswork I have come up with this possible itinerary for Friday. All times are approximate (Google's estimates rounded up a bit) to allow for traffic etc.

09:30 DD departs home & joins up with dbs2 in Norwich
14:15 Arrive at The Snake Pass Inn - Meet up with REB_A5 & Mrs REB
15:00 Depart The Snake Pass Inn (sooner if agreed)
16:30 Arrive Lancashire Services on M6 between J32 & J33. Meet up with ChunkStar
16:45 Depart M6 Services
17:45 Arrive Ambleside

This could get very messy if the traffic is really heavy anywhere along the route - which for a Friday afternoon, I would make it a racing certainty. :(

We may not be able to leave Doncaster until 14:00 due to a small issue. In which case we wouldn't get to the Snake Pass Inn until about 15:00 but I have dbs2's mobile number (and he has mine) so we can keep each other updated as to progress.

So, do we have a plan yet? :confused:

P.S. DD, I have updated your original Google route to show the correct position of The Snake Pass Inn (point B), added the M6 services (point C) and moved the final destination to Ambleside rather than Windermere.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Certainly sounds like a plan, With any luck Rob and Cabtilx will be joining us ????

Give me a call Reb when ever you like and i'll give you an update on possible arrival time.......

Bungle, Where you meeting up with us ??

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi all
reb that sounds good to me :cool::cool:i will not have to rush get angry:mad: ha ha with that timing,you watch m6 will be clear now and i will be at services waiting for hours lol:D:D:D

Is there anything i need to bring with me????
I have good camera so hope to take some moving shots if we get time

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
We may not be able to leave Doncaster until 14:00 due to a small issue...
My small issue has gone away (mostly) so Mrs REB and I will be leaving Doncaster at a time to be able to meet up with the Norfolk convoy at the Snake Pass Inn.

dbs2, would you please give me a call (or text) when you are about 1.5-2.0 hours out from the Snake Pass Inn, We can then set off and meet you there. We may even meet on the A57 somewhere.

Chunkstar, I need your mobile number so we can keep you updated as to our progress. I have PM'd you asking for it and giving you mine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.