Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like alot of you i am waiting on my 09 S5, and until then I will shop for wheels until i can find the right ones. I live in an area that doesnt always like to take care of ther roads, a few major potholes, but alot of little things that you really need to pay attention so you do not ruin your wheels. I cannot decide if i want to buy 19's or 20s. The 19s look good, but you really cannot beat the 20s on a a5/s5. The thing i dont like about the 20s is the 30 series tire, and I was curious, Would a 245/35/20 tire fit the S5 without issues? It raises the ride height .8 inches(26.8), and alot of guys are dropping ther cars an inch, so I personally do not see a problem with fitting the 35 series tire. On my Infiniti they recommended 245/35/20 for the car, but i put on 245/40s and I have not had any issues with it.

Any input would be great!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
It may only be 0.8 inches but you are knocking the speedo out by 2.8% which means when your speedo say 60 mph you will actually be doing 61.7 mph. But if you can deal with this then I don't really see any issues. I would PM wheelexpert from the forum he has plenty of experience and will most likely be able to better inform you.

Do you plan to lower the car too? It will sit quite high as a result of this too

·
Registered
11 Posts
You would have no issues with a 245/35-20 other than aesthetics... it would look really narrow. However, I would run a 275/30-20. It would be a hair shorter than a 245/35, but it would definitely give you more protection than 255/30. Also, if you run those on a 9.5" rim you would squash the tire just enough to ensure to most height for that particular tire and added rim protection against slight scuffs. It wouldn't be the most killer look out there, but it would be the best protected wheel that also looks good.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pete from wheelexperts.com said to run 275/30/20 like you said, but with a 9 inch rim...how much of a difference would a 9.5 or 9 make?

·
Registered
11 Posts
9" would work too... I was actually going to say 9 or 9.5. The only reason I would recommend 9.5" over 9" is that it squares up nicely on a 9.5" and you will get that added .5" appearance. A 9" will definitely squash the tire so that it is over protecting the wheel, but that may sound like music to you in this case.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea i am just looking for the best ride possible with 20s. So what would you choose, 9'' or 9.5 for best possible ride, not just based on looks..... Now i have about 10 weeks before delivery to find the right wheel i like.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I say 9.5". It's going to put the wheel 8.3mm narrower than the 275 tire as opposed to 21mm narrower with a 9" wheel. For the sake of comfort, a tire fitting the wheel more accurately allows the tire to respond more accurately as well. If by "comfort" you mean only the feeling of hitting a bump, it will be the same.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hehe

i think i may know you... does my name sound familiar? :)

(note: if i'm wrong, then you just happen to have the same cars and live near a member of my extended family).

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
your name doesnt look familiar, ive never been out towards cali, i live in northeast, pa....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Guys..

I'm want to change the standard 18' wheel on my S5 for 20 x 8.5.. they come without rubber so wanted to ask what choice do I have that won't affect the speedo reading too much etc etc... I know nothing about tyres so hoping you can help / advise...

Tks in advance

Neil

·
Registered
16 Posts
your name doesnt look familiar, ive never been out towards cali, i live in northeast, pa....
Sorry for the mixup then. My cousin lives in Philly and he has an M45 and Continental GT. I thought that you must be him because I imagine that's a pretty rare combination.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts