Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear of some people on here who got 24 hour test drives.

Any test drive i ever got in a car i had the salesman sitting next to me which is a bit annoying and i feel you cant test drive the car properly.

Im going ordering an A5 in the next few weeks for a Jan delivery (The wait is going to kill me !!)

It would be cool if i could get a 24 hour test drive at some stage over the coming weeks. How did you guys go about getting one ? Do most shops do this ?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Savo - I think it depends on how serious they believe you are. As Conrad points out, with company car drivers they do not question whether you will order, just what and when.
As a private buyer, to get the longest possible test you need to convince them that you're serious but will not make a decision based upon a short accompanied drive. I am a private buyer and secured three sperate days (different models) and clocked up over 400 miles total before ordering so certainly had plenty of time to make my choice.

There is often reluctance to let a demonstrator go overnight though as in many cases the sales team use the cars to commute but they should accomodate you if you push.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Mine was also a Company Purchase....... I test drove an S5 and 3 A5'5 all for a Day each.. then when i had narrowed my choice down, i had One for Friday to Monday to give it a Proper Test :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Savo
I am a private buyer and before I ordered my A5 1.8T FSI Sport, I test drove the 1.8T FSI model and then was given a 2.7TDI to drive down the road (I live approximately one hour from the dealer) and keep for the overnight. This allowed me to ensure the car would fit in my garage!!

To be fair, this is the second car I ordered from the dealer in two years and this probably had a bearing on negotiations. However, I would say the salesman is a really decent person and we certainly have worked up a good rapport between each other. Although I would say that there was probably times where he could pulled his hair out when negotiating the deal on my new A5!!!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Simple... you're the prospective customer. If you are trying to decide between models, then take what time you think you need. Ask, and be sympathetic to the fact that the dealers may have to source demonstrators of that specific model and you should have no problems. If you do... try a different dealer and buy from the one that actually WANTS to sell you a car.

Remember its a £30-45,000 purchase. you want more than an hour in your proposed purchase!!

...Although for me it was easy. I wanted and S5, so I just needed to check it wasn't awful. So I booked a 2 hour solo test drive with those useless idiots at Peterborough Audi, gave it a burn, took it home for the kids to see, took it to the pub to show my mates and burned back. Decision made. I got them to quote, then phoned Carlisle Audi, who quoted me £200 per month less and bought one from them instead. :D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

Im almost certainly going to get one anyway but before spending over €50,000 on a car i want more than 15-20 mins in it with an annoying sales guy sitting next to me asking me questions the whole way through !!

There is 3 dealers near me. One is totally useless and i am not going to buy from them. I asked them a question about 2 months ago and they didnt even bother getting back to me with a reply. My dad bought a Merc E270 from them a 3-4 years ago and he said he they were the exact same to him. He was buying an €85,000 car from them and they acted like they were doing him a favour selling it to him. They were very unhelpful and didnt seem very interested in him at all the whole way through.

I'll try the other 2 places though. My company is paying for about 2/3 of the car so maybe i can say its a company car and swing it that way :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.