Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used a 225-45-18 tire for snows on their S5? I like that the tire is slightly narrower which should lead to better traction. Going up and down the hills of Pittsburgh in the winter in the middle of the night before salting or plowing (as necessitated by my job) can get treacherous, and I am looking for any advantages I can get. I am interested in anyone's experience with this. Sorry if this has been touched on in past threads, but a rather lengthy search pulled up lots of snow tire comments, and + sizing questions, but not so much in the way of down sizing. Thanks.

· Registered
6,346 Posts
Are 18in wheels US spec? If so our base spec in the UK is bigger than yours. 19in 255/35 19.

Not sure an S5 would look right on 18in wheels>>>>>>>

· Registered
493 Posts
I think that these wheels are perfect for the winter and these rims are 18'' and are the choice I have picked for my ride with 245/40/18 tires

Attachments

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are 18in wheels US spec? If so our base spec in the UK is bigger than yours. 19in 255/35 19.

Not sure an S5 would look right on 18in wheels>>>>>>>
No, 19 are standard, and what I have. Unfortunately, the narrower tire will offer better traction, and as a surgeon who gets called emergently in the middle of the night, I need as much traction as possible for those bad weather days. That being said, I would switch back to the 19 inchers as soon as weather permits because they are sweet to look at.

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think that these wheels are perfect for the winter and these rims are 18'' and are the choice I have picked for my ride with 245/40/18 tires
What wheels are those? They actually look real nice. I had thought about going black for my winter wheels (so they don't look so filthy all of the time), but these may have changed my mind.

· Registered
493 Posts
These wheels are the stock rims in Europe (or atleast in Bulgaria). I think you can contact your Audi dealer and ask about more info. I know that there are 2 types with different sizes - for tires 245 and for 225

· Registered
435 Posts
I put 225/45 18" on my S5. Been running for about 2 weeks. The only thing I ran into is that the tire iron for the S5 didn't fit inside the new rims and I needed to use a socket wrench to put them on (which isn't related to the tire size anyway). Obviously there is less grip, but you may get addicted to the reduced harshness of road imperfections.

I put the Michelin X-ICE XI2s on. They are a revised design of the X-ICE. They are pretty quiet on good condition roads, but they really roar on the White Concrete Of some interstates (very common in PA). Also, in rain, I floored it in first gear and they didn't lose grip. You will need to slow down in corners more than you would if you had the 245/40 18".

· Registered
435 Posts
One other note:

I got these wheels:
Sport Edition SE-14: Bright Silver Paint

They look nice close up, but when you are viewing the car from a distance, I which I still had 5 spoke wheels. It really loses something, IMO.

I also, went 225/45 for max traction as you are, and also price. I didn't get TPMS. If you don't have access to a VAGCOM, then get the TPMS. The car complains a lot about it not being there. (I have a VAGCOM but I have been too lazy to plug it in and turn it off).

· Registered
51 Posts
One other note:

I got these wheels:

They look nice close up, but when you are viewing the car from a distance, I which I still had 5 spoke wheels. It really loses something, IMO.

I also, went 225/45 for max traction as you are, and also price. I didn't get TPMS. If you don't have access to a VAGCOM, then get the TPMS. The car complains a lot about it not being there. (I have a VAGCOM but I have been too lazy to plug it in and turn it off).
Any pics of the wheels on your car??

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It looks like you are going through the exact same thought process I've been going through on Tire Rack.

I questioned both the 225 vs 245 and the studless Ice+Snow vs Performance Winter.

I got some pretty good feedback here.. (there are trade-offs involved with either choice)

http://forums.audiworld.com/wheel/msgs/94663.phtml
Another guy from the burgh. Well I guess I already realized that I was not the only S5 owner around, but here is to hoping I am the only Deep Sea Blue S5 owner in town:D. Great help here everyone. I think I will be ordering my snows on 225-45 18 (and yes, as it has already been guessed, tire rack and their recs are the source of this conversation).

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One other note:

I got these wheels:

Just curious, how much is complaining a lot? I think it costs less to get Vagcom then it does to have TPMS sensors installed by tire rack, so maybe that is the route to go (hey I could finally fix the DRL issue at the same time.)

· Registered
54 Posts
Meteor Grey/Magma/carbon - you're in the clear.

I have yet to see you out there.. I've only seen A5's on two occassions so it's still a pretty rare car, regardless of color.

I think I'm sticking with Dunlop 3d's on 245's - 18" - On Sport Edition rims..

Don't forget the TPMS sensors!

· Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Meteor Grey/Magma/carbon - you're in the clear.

I have yet to see you out there.. I've only seen A5's on two occassions so it's still a pretty rare car, regardless of color.

I think I'm sticking with Dunlop 3d's on 245's - 18" - On Sport Edition rims..

Don't forget the TPMS sensors!
The test drive I did was in a meteor grey with magma (South Hills Audi). It made me have 2nd thoughts about my color choice (looked awesome). I frequent 79, 279, 376 and all the roads in between (I work at 5 different hospitals so I get around quite a bit). Must say I have seen 3 A5's (Black, white, and ice silver) and one S5 (red). Hope to see you out there some time- if I catch you soon enough I will give you a big wave and smile.

· Registered
435 Posts
Just curious, how much is complaining a lot? I think it costs less to get Vagcom then it does to have TPMS sensors installed by tire rack, so maybe that is the route to go (hey I could finally fix the DRL issue at the same time.)
When I start my car and while I drive it the yellow tire icon is permanently lit on the right side of the tach, and in the driver info screen the top has TPMS permanently in big yellow letters. Also, when starting the car it complains of a TPMS malfunction in the center of the driver info window. Vagcom may be a better investment for the future, if you don't want to go to the dealer to pull a code.

· Registered
220 Posts
I just ordered winter tires for mine. While at the tire store I asked about the X-Ice and Pilots. I was told because Canada law now requires 4 snows on cars all of these tires went to Canada and are not avaliable for a couple of months. I went with Blizzaks which were in stock. BTW, I went 225/45/18.

· Registered
256 Posts
I just ordered winter tires for mine. While at the tire store I asked about the X-Ice and Pilots. I was told because Canada law now requires 4 snows on cars all of these tires went to Canada and are not avaliable for a couple of months. I went with Blizzaks which were in stock. BTW, I went 225/45/18.
In the interest of accuracy-that snow tire law only applies to the province of Quebec, not all of Canada. Either way, it has definitely affected the supply of snow tires.

· Registered
220 Posts
Thanks for the correction. The problem we have is that the sizes we are looking for are in short supply to begin with. In other words, don't wait to long to do something.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.