Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy 2017 S5 coupe, is there any issue should be aware of.
Any issue with excessive tyre wear?
Service Cost?
Any known issue to S5 Coupe?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I think a 2017 S5 will likely be a B9. The B8 ended in 2016.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Congrats!!

The B9 doesn't seem to have any issues as far as I know as they were ironed out in the B8 2007-2016. :)

The main difference being the 3.0 TFSi V6 is now turbocharged rather than supercharged. And I think the gearbox has gone from the DSG back to the old torque converter automatic.

Tyre wear should be nice and even. Not sure if they still come with the Pirelli Pzero Rosso but most have found better tyres. I still have them and they're not good in cold wet conditions and they tramline like crazy! I had the full geometry alignment done on mine, but still likes to pull from side to side like an excited puppy, but only on some roads. I have put my winter wheels on now and the tramlining has gone! :)
Even on a fairly new car, the geometry can go off, even after 12 months from being made!

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
Congrats!!

The B9 doesn't seem to have any issues as far as I know as they were ironed out in the B8 2007-2016. :)

The main difference being the 3.0 TFSi V6 is now turbocharged rather than supercharged. And I think the gearbox has gone from the DSG back to the old torque converter automatic.

Tyre wear should be nice and even. Not sure if they still come with the Pirelli Pzero Rosso but most have found better tyres. I still have them and they're not good in cold wet conditions and they tramline like crazy! I had the full geometry alignment done on mine, but still likes to pull from side to side like an excited puppy, but only on some roads. I have put my winter wheels on now and the tramlining has gone! :)
Even on a fairly new car, the geometry can go off, even after 12 months from being made!
What brand winter tyres do you use Dave please.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congrats!!

Picking up the car next Wed, got a call from the dealer today, saying the brake and disc are 65% worn. which I doubt there is much life left. I will ask them they have to replace the all the brake and disc is under 50% life as I don't deem this is safe to sell as audi approved car.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Picking up the car next Wed, got a call from the dealer today, saying the brake and disc are 65% worn. which I doubt there is much life left. I will ask them they have to replace the all the brake and disc is under 50% life as I don't deem this is safe to sell as audi approved car.
Why are they telling you now after buying the car? Trying to get some extra cash out of you? If the tyres were due replacement soon, then you negotiate this into the price, so if they expect you to pay for the new brakes, then like you say ask them to cover the cost or re-negotiate on the sale price.

Having said that most dealers say brakes are worn unless they are nearly new!! They, if you ask them to pay will say it's a serviceable item and perfectly safe!

On my ol A4 avant, a dealer said the rear brakes were worn but I put another 40,000 miles on them and didn't replace them!

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you are relatively handy and have the necessary tools, the brake pads on that car are pretty easy to change. If the car is a 2018 I can't imagine that it really needs pads already and certainly doesn't need discs unless it has a ton of miles on it. I'd take delivery of the car and then have someone else look at it if you are worried about it. Dealer is going to be twice as expensive as an independent anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My local dealer told me that the rear brakes were $900. I did the front and rear for $70 with me doing the labor. Took maybe 3 hours. Plenty of youtube how to videos to walk you through it.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Not sure if they still come with the Pirelli Pzero Rosso but most have found better tyres. I still have them and they're not good in cold wet conditions and they tramline like crazy!
I totally agree. I'm amazed that Pirelli made such a bad tyre!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts