Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently upgraded my 2014 Audi A4 se to a 2015 Audi A5 sline, I put a set of 20" TTRS rims although compared to the A4 they don't give off the the same aggressive stance/look, at least from certain angles. is 20" (5x112) the biggest I can go on the A5 with 235 tyres? as 21" seems like it would rub and would barely fit. I'm tempted to use 10mm spacers to try achieve the same look but the insurance element is putting me off, and the A5 arches overlap the tyre a good bit were id like them to be flush with one another (tyre and arch.) , any thoughts/comments appreciated. photos below of the a5 with 20s.

Attachments

·
Registered
848 Posts
The 20" and 21" argument isn't everything to your idea. Going 21" you'd have to reduce the tire profile to stay within the rolling circumference and not get a misreading on your speedo. the 235 width is more to do with what fits on a certain width, and apparently there is a "standard" (the scandinavian version is called STRO, there is a European version as well that I can't remember the acronym for) as to what's the minimum you can fit to a certain width wheel, taking profile into consideration, how hard your local law enforces this may vary, but I learned this the hard way.

That being said, what's more pertinent to your question is the wheel width, and also the wheel offset. From the few TT wheels I've seen they have a rather weak offset which will lead to the wheel sitting fairly recessed in the arch. The A5 has fairly roomy arches, and IMO also a "low" offset from factory yet still has the typical OEM recessed look to the wheels. I would hazard a guess the TT wheel width and offset would be, at best, 9" and 35mm offset. To give you an idea what an A5 "needs" for a flush look you're looking at a 10" wheel and offset closer to 30mm.

All that being said, I don't think your car looks weak in your pictures, but spacers is an easy and "cheap" way to add aggressiveness to the fitment and stance. But it's a slippery slope, because as you push the wheels out, the gap between the tire and the arch will make your car look more like a giraffes neck and next thing you're looking at lowering the car for the ultimate stance look.

Here's mine moderately to aggressively lowered with 10"F and 10.5"R wide 20" wheels, offset is fairly aggressive to at below 30mm (can't remember them at the top of my head atm).

Regards

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Great explanation Wreck!!!. The other point that I would make is the ride comfort, cos as you get ever larger and lower profile tyres, in general the ride gets every harder/harsher which in Tokyo is perhaps ok but in most of Europe is really bad for your back!! Personally I would stay at 20......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 20" and 21" argument isn't everything to your idea. Going 21" you'd have to reduce the tire profile to stay within the rolling circumference and not get a misreading on your speedo. the 235 width is more to do with what fits on a certain width, and apparently there is a "standard" (the scandinavian version is called STRO, there is a European version as well that I can't remember the acronym for) as to what's the minimum you can fit to a certain width wheel, taking profile into consideration, how hard your local law enforces this may vary, but I learned this the hard way.

That being said, what's more pertinent to your question is the wheel width, and also the wheel offset. From the few TT wheels I've seen they have a rather weak offset which will lead to the wheel sitting fairly recessed in the arch. The A5 has fairly roomy arches, and IMO also a "low" offset from factory yet still has the typical OEM recessed look to the wheels. I would hazard a guess the TT wheel width and offset would be, at best, 9" and 35mm offset. To give you an idea what an A5 "needs" for a flush look you're looking at a 10" wheel and offset closer to 30mm.

All that being said, I don't think your car looks weak in your pictures, but spacers is an easy and "cheap" way to add aggressiveness to the fitment and stance. But it's a slippery slope, because as you push the wheels out, the gap between the tire and the arch will make your car look more like a giraffes neck and next thing you're looking at lowering the car for the ultimate stance look.

Here's mine moderately to aggressively lowered with 10"F and 10.5"R wide 20" wheels, offset is fairly aggressive to at below 30mm (can't remember them at the top of my head atm).

View attachment 179270

hi thanks for the response, I think in the mean Time I will put spacers on as I paid close to a thousand euro for the TTRS' , so I think for now I will try spacers then maybe in the summer I may change the rims, I will post a picture once the spacers have been put on, again thanks for the detailed response.

Regards

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.