Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently driving a mk1 quattro tt which i've had 7 years, its modified a bit and has got a map, does about 26mpg. About to get rid of it and hoping to replace with an A5 as i want something a bit newer, slightly bigger and with better mpg. Originally i wanted the 2l diesel A5 but there aren't many in quattro form within my budget but there is the odd petrol one. In real world driving is there a massive difference in fuel consumption between the diesel and petrol? 0 - 60 times on the petrol look a lot better than the diesel version but with a remap can the diesel be almost as quick? Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi & welcome. You're probably going to need to give a bit more information to get the best advice.
Budget? Age? Desired mpg? Miles you intend to do - is mpg that relevant then? Manual or auto? Quattro a must? Will you modify it as your tt?
I have a 2011 quattro s-line s-tronic petrol 2.0. I get about 28-35 mpg journey dependant. A diesel could get 40+mpg?
quattro & s-tronic absolutely are a must for me but thats personal.
A5 is a much bigger car than a mk1 tt - parking an issue for you? They are a very different car IMO - A5 is much more of a cruiser but engine dependant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so like most people I'm probably trying to get more for my money than budget will allow so there will be some compromises made.

Budget is 11K,
Essentially car must be 12 plate or newer, white, black edition, coupe
Ideally but not 100% essential; auto, Quattro
Would be nice if i could get a car with heated seats, cruise, sat/nav

Mileage isn't going to be massive, maybe 10k but the tt does about 27mpg so days out and trips out cost more than they should really. Aso the gf is pregnant so need something a bit bigger but really don't want a 4 door.

Usually I'd modify my cars, The TT is remapped, full suspension set up, genuine bumpers etc fro the 3.2 (its a 225), exhaust. I'm not going to modify the A5 so much, probably just a map and some paint and generally get the car back to showroom condition. Basically I want something nice and comfortable to drive but slightly stands out from all the other cars in the car park. I've had m3's and similar in the past so I know its not going to compete in performance but still don't want anything to slow. The one thing about the TT is the handling, never had a car grip so well which is why if possible i'd like a quatro but with my budget I think I'll be lucky to get it.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Go for the diesel mate and aim for the 3.0 engine. The A5 is a truly great car BUT rather heavy so the 2.0 litres are great but can consume more than the 3.0s just pushing/pulling that bus down the road. The 3.0 is smoother (6 cylinders) and makes easier work of the job, and can even consume LESS on a decent run cos they work less.

Reactions: savs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In an ideal world I'd definitely go for the 3.0, similar mpg to the 2.0 and performance is much better, imagine it would be really quick with a remap. Unfortunately the cheapest one is 2.5k over my budget so I'm not holding my breath on one coming up any time soon.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Got to agree with Simon with the 3.0l tdi. If you can wait and find a 3.0l it'll be worth it. I get 45mpg on the motorway easy. 50mpg if i cruise at 60mph. If i drive "spirited" then i get about 36mpg.
The 3.0l in diesel is surprisingly good on economy. I know some BMWs can go quicker and be even more frugal!

I'm sure a 2.0l on a remap will still be very good (and responsive). Diesel torque.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts