Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I started noticing a whining coming from the front end of my car, when coasting from around 40-20mph primarily, but it seems to be most speeds now.

I've started noticing it now (with all the radio off) from 60-40mph too, and it somewhat seems to be getting a bit louder (Or It's annoying me and I can't stop hearing it maybe).

It's the S Tronic, 3.0 TDI 2013. In the past week I've had 4 brand new tyres, 4-wheel alignment and did an S Tronic service (2nd one it's had - 73k miles now), so it wont be any of those causing it.

Or am I overthinking it, does the 3.0 TDI have engine whine? Is this normal?

I understand it's a shot in the dark, but just wondering has anyone had any whining from the front before, or any tips on how I can debug/figure out what the noise is coming from, what's causing it?

I am no mechanic, but I feel as if it's a transmission noise, but I'm really hoping it isn't. Does anyone have any tips on how I can troubleshoot this with any tests to check if it could be anything else?

Appreciate any help, thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to add to this, I only hear this on the overrun, when coasting and foot is off the accelerator. As soon as I touch the accelerator I can't hear it, until I let off again and then it whines down.

Would really like to hear if anyone else has this, if it's normal or what - a bit worrying as I notice it more and more, and now at higher speeds too. Any ideas anyone??

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have a similar whining coming from the front right side. Based on my research, the gears in your differential are worn or the front wheel bearing is starting to go out.

The front wheel bearings seems to require replacement more often than the rear ones. But the noise when wheel bearings fail is not usually described as a whine. Still, a new wheel bearing is much cheaper than an new transmission (the differential is incorporated within the transmission).

I've learned to live with the noises my now 100K mile A5 is making. Just turn up the music a little!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts