Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i'm new to this site, i just purchased a 2012 Audi A5 2.0T (North America). That being said its an awesome car besides the stock radio. Its got the Audi Concert in it. I've looked all over this forum and saw a post that said a Alpine X701D-A4 fits in the north american model, but cant find that model radio for sale anywhere online anymore. So, i found the Alpine X702D-A4 on Ebay. Has anyone installed this in the North american model, did everything work? The only place i could find to buy it is on Ebay from Italy. Sorry if this questions been answered, i looked all over the forum to make sure it wasn't and couldn't find anything. Any input would be awesome, or even any suggestions for other radio upgrades. Thank You!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Amunoz, I'm similar to you, the Concert is pretty crap sound, no nav etc and I'm about to buy the Alpine myself. Surprised you can't find the 701 still but the new 702 has Carplay and Android Auto now among other addituons which is what I was hanging on for.

Here's a discussion I came across before on fitting a 701 in a north American car, might be useful

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/663577-Alpine-X701D-A4

Been looking at what's out there, very limited from what I can see. If you want better sounds and nav you either pay what sounds like a hefty amount to retrofit an MMI solution, or put one of these in. If you just want nav added there's something called a Dynavin N6 I think that ppl seem to rate.

Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Amunoz, I'm similar to you, the Concert is pretty crap sound, no nav etc and I'm about to buy the Alpine myself. Surprised you can't find the 701 still but the new 702 has Carplay and Android Auto now among other addituons which is what I was hanging on for.

Here's a discussion I came across before on fitting a 701 in a north American car, might be useful

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/663577-Alpine-X701D-A4

Been looking at what's out there, very limited from what I can see. If you want better sounds and nav you either pay what sounds like a hefty amount to retrofit an MMI solution, or put one of these in. If you just want nav added there's something called a Dynavin N6 I think that ppl seem to rate.

Paul
Hey Paul, thanks for responding. You have a American one with Concert System? Are you planning on getting the Alpine X702 soon and installing it? I read that one post and it looks like the X701 will work but I?m not sure if the X702 will. Also do you know anywhere that sells the whole kit in the US? I don?t really want to order one from Italy off of eBay in hope they send me everything I need. Keep me posted if you get it and put it in! Thanks man!
Aaron

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Aaron. No, I'm based in Ireland so I have a different challenge of avoiding being ripped off here, was quoted ?2200 to supply and fit hahahaha! Not sure who can supply in the US but theres someone on that link who was offering to fit the units there (www.enfigcarstereo.com) so I'd say he could help. The 702 is just the updated 701 so I would guess they'd both behave the same but again that contact might be able to confirm.

Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Aaron. No, I'm based in Ireland so I have a different challenge of avoiding being ripped off here, was quoted ?2200 to supply and fit hahahaha! Not sure who can supply in the US but theres someone on that link who was offering to fit the units there (www.enfigcarstereo.com) so I'd say he could help. The 702 is just the updated 701 so I would guess they'd both behave the same but again that contact might be able to confirm.

Paul
Awesome! Thanks man!

·
Registered
28 Posts
No probs! By all accounts it's a really good setup, great sound and integrates fully into the A5 so you don't lose any of the required functionality of the original equipment. The square buttons are a bit odd but I reckon I'll be able to live with them...will soon see.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Currently having mine fitted as we speak, should be getting it back tomorrow (Wednesday). Apparently not just plug and play, as Alpine have to pre upload your car details to it for all the extras to work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m in Surrey. I had a couple of other things done as well, but the unit was about 1675 supplied and fitted. Happy with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sidsprint. Can you please provide details on what had to be uploaded and how that is done? I am in US and I a sure there is some coding that has to be done in VCDS but I was not aware that the head unit has to be programed. I will have to have a friend in UK purchase for me and ship but I dont want to get in a situation where I cant use it because Alpine has to upload something to it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Has anyone else here fitted one of these? Ive just put it in, followed all the instructions but it's dead, no life with ignition in any position. I reattached the old unit to see if perhaps I'd blown a fuse or something but it works as normal. Just wondering if it's a dud. Bought it from the Italian supplier on ebay so will be a pain in butt to try to return :-(
Any advice on how to troubleshoot?

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Hey guys, interesting UK, USA and Ireland discussion here, Audi is very international!!! I think that you need to be careful, do not buy a unit on Ebay hoping it will fit and work, you need the experience of the guy who is going to install it for you. He makes his money fitting them so he will know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
In fairness Simon I imagine most of the people on this forum attempt fixes or installations themselves, that's why it's such a good site. I had researched the supplier and found the relevant installation vid on YouTube. What caught me out was a difference between the wiring looms for the older model and this one which is not documented in great detail. Alpine quickly clarified for me but subsequently have told me that they need to make a change to the can interface on the loom as the early ones sold didn't cover my setup of having the Audi Sound System upgrade. Anyway between themselves and myself we're resolving it although I think Alpine should be checking VIN numbers before sending out their kit. So it's half working at the moment but from what I see it looks good haha!

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Blimey PJ, sorry mate, I was thinking of my own lack of ability in all things really complicated so I would not try to fit it myself!!! I now understand and I too am interested to know your conclusions cos I would be interested to have one fitted to mine. I see on Fleabay that the units sell for about 1500 Euro here in Italy......

·
Registered
28 Posts
No probs Simon, I would have been happy to pay someone to supply and fit here if it was reasonable. Unfortunately in rip-off Ireland the one and only person I could find to do it wanted to charge €2200 so I suddenly got this urge to fit it myself! I got it off Marco Meggiolaro on Ebay who delivered on time etc. Two things went wrong- firstly I had no sound, didn't know I had the Audi Sound System option (still the Concert radio but with a better amp and a subwoofer) which meant I needed to order a separate bit of wiring to attenuate the signal. I understood that Audi option code 9VD signified that and I didn't have it. Secondly the unit was powering up on entering the car and various car settings weren't appearing on the screen as they should. Marco couldn't help so I had to get on to Alpine UK who identified to issues and will now be sending me the attenuator (my VIN identified the Audi Sound System even though it want in my option list) and also a wiring loom fix. Get that next week so I'll update here if it hopefully fixes everything. Conclusions are I suppose Alpine (or vendor) shouldn't sell this kit without ensuring the purchaser has all the right stuff (via a VIN number check), it's not cheap after all. And that might be avoidable if you went to an Alpine approved dealer / installer in the first place I guess so maybe you were right all along :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
ps I'm a pro installer now so if you want to fly me and the girlfriend down to Rome and put us up in a decent hotel for the weekend I'll do it for you for free.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Er well ....

ps I'm a pro installer now so if you want to fly me and the girlfriend down to Rome and put us up in a decent hotel for the weekend I'll do it for you for free.
Hiya mate and hey great idea!!!! Lets wait till your system:smile2: all works and then talk it thro....If your lady is very good looking that would help too!!!! Hehe. I have several Yamahas and my mate is Service Manager of a great Yamaha dealer in the Midlands and he loves coming over to service my bikes!! Ryan Air makes things fairly cheap these days, and it only usually costs me a bike lend so he buggers off to explore Italy and we are all happy!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
PJay,
I just recieved my unit from Marco on Ebay as well. I have to say he is very reasonable to work with.
Marco told me about the attennuator and I got it as well.
What ended up being your problem with the unit powering on? I seem to be having the same issue.
My issue could also be that I don't have the CAN Gateway connected.
Did you notice that the install instructions do not match the wiring loom? The owners manual has the CAN interface in a diagram but I am not able to find the CAN Gateway in the vehicle. This my be my power issue.
Where did you locate the CAN Gateway? Google is of no help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Once I connected the CAN Gateway the power came on.
I do not have any Audio however.
I think I just have the standard OEM audio and I bought the Attenuator that they said was needed but I still have no Audio.
Everything else seems to work well except for parking break I assume. When I try to access camera options it says I cannot operate while driving. The reverse camera comes on when I put car in reverse so that portion is working.

Do you have any suggestions on getting sound? Is there an option to use the the amp instead of pre-out?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also do you know if there is a different unit that is for A5?
The item I ordered from Ebay was X702D-A5 but I received X702D-A4.
I cant find any documentation that would indicate there is a difference.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts