Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, would love any insight from more knowledgeable guys about the sound, I obviously don't drive the car anymore, but it runs. This was on cold start, oil is fine, didn't notice anything leaking. Happened after I left car for 3 hours, until that it was running ok, just with EPC light sometimes coming up

·
Registered
80 Posts
Could be the cam followers, they're easy to check too. Unbolt the HPFPs and pull them out to check, they're prone to wear and may have a hole. This vid will help:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be the cam followers, they're easy to check too. Unbolt the HPFPs and pull them out to check, they're prone to wear and may have a hole. This vid will help:

just had a guy with decent knowledge checking it out, he said that that metal sound comes from the back of the engine and he seems to believe that the problem is engine timing chain and that it will cost a lot, since it might need engine removal
Rectangle Sharing Bicycle part Auto part Automotive exterior

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After some researching I doubt it's the chain, since the problem happened on B6/B7 models. I decided to let the car warm up to see if there is any difference. The ugly metal noise disappeared after like 10 minutes, but the engine doesn't sound nice at all. What I noticed is that there were few slight misfires here and there and BOTH HPFP leaking a bit of fuel. Also, few months ago I had casual misfires around 2-3k RPM, but within few days it magically disappeared and never happened again. Keep in mind, that car runs like there is nothing wrong, if I put my feet down it will go, idle is pretty much perfect, no noticeable loss of power whatsoever. Don't mind the dirt, we have winter here and I don't have garage ) Can all these sounds be due to bad HPFP or/and injectors? Or it's something much worse? Warmed up engine sounds like this:

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
VERY difficult to know. Have you hooked up the car to an OBD2 system to see if a scan reveals any codes???

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
I would suggest a tow or trailer to be honest until you work out the problem....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts