Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Audi A5 convertible in June, 2011. Since then, the car has gone back to the Dealer for servicing 5 times all because of cylinder misfiring. The dealer stated that I overflowed the gas tank by not turning off the pump when it clicked off during filling. They cleaned out the cylinder. (this was back in November). I do not overfill...and now it happened again and back to servicing. Misfiring, check engine light on, EPC light on. I dont know if this is a lemon or not...but this should not be happening in the first year of owning a new car.

Any others with similar experiences?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kenstrauss,
What have u done after?
Pls let me know since I am facing same issue with my car.
Txxxx
Maria

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've never heard of a car misfiring because the petrol tank was too full!! At the end of the day the petrol goes down the same line to the injectors as with other cars. How much is in the tank I thought was irrelevant, but I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong!

·
Registered
165 Posts
First, what does "They cleaned out the cylinder" mean?
Did they pull the head or just flush some kind of cleaner through the engine?
What is it they were cleaning out, Carbon?

Over filling the fuel tank causing the problem is hard to believe. All automobile companies design cars that all kinds of people with all level of intelligence can operate. They do not put cars on the market than can be damaged by simply putting fuel in them.

This sounds like a case for Audi Corporate.

I don't know where you are located but in the USA, most states have Lemon Laws. If they can't fix it, they bought it.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Overfilling the tank certainly did not cause an engine misfire. My guess would be to begin at the coils then the plugs. When do the misfires occur. Upon cold engine start? I agree time for a different set of eyes to take a look

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Get one of these and when it happens you can scan the car and it will tell you which cylinder/s are misfiring and then you can go to audi and have them look at those specific coils/plugs but that is where I would start. You can also clear faults as well and its great to have in the car if the car is not running well. Also cheap enough

Launch Pocket Tech Pro | eBay

·
Registered
572 Posts
Do you do a lot of short journeys? Sometimes I've seen cars with excessive carbon fouling in the plugs from this which can lead to misfires.

As said above check plugs / coil packs. If you can get someone with VCDS to log misfires on cylinder it might help you identify if you've got a faulty coil pack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts